Low Water Sand Water Filter Pressure in filter mode only

grahams

Oct 13, 2022
austin tx
I have a Pentair Tagulus TA-60D2 with 2inch pipes on the top mount filter valve.
I recently had the filter sand replaced, and since then:
1. The water pressure has been low (6-7) PSI when filtering
2. The filter does do some filtering, however the PSI never increases as the filter gets dirty (it did before the sand replace)
3. The water pressure is fine (actually higher) when back-washing
My supposition is/was that there is some sort of bypass going on in filter mode, and I did demonstrate to the company that vacuuming thru the filter was returning visible muck to the pool.
My best guess has been that maybe they cracked the vertical pipe in the filter, and it was opening like a valve flap when in filter mode, and closing when it backwash mode. Note also the pressure is slowly decreasing over weeks, which might imply the crack is getting worse.
Having exhausted other options, they are going to come out, but I still want to have an idea what the problem might be as they will charge me if there isn't something they broke.
Sadly my theory is somewhat dampened by the fact that the pressure is also high in rinse mode. This maybe points at the valve filter instead. I have replaced the handle/o-ring assembly, so it isn't that.

There are no leaks (at least before the filter)
The impeller is clean
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Graham

Graham,

I doubt anything is wrong. Filter pressure is just the amount of effort it takes to force water through the filter. The cleaner the filter, the easier it is for water to pass through it and the lower the pressure.

As long as you have a good strong flow of water going back to your pool, then you should be happy.

I have a large cartridge filter and my filter pressure when clean is about one lb. or less on a 30 lb. gauge.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Graham,

I doubt anything is wrong. Filter pressure is just the amount of effort it takes to force water through the filter. The cleaner the filter, the easier it is for water to pass through it and the lower the pressure.

As long as you have a good strong flow of water going back to your pool, then you should be happy.

I have a large cartridge filter and my filter pressure when clean is about one lb. or less on a 30 lb. gauge.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah, the point is that the pressure does not change ever, even as the filter gets dirty. It definitely seems (as also evidenced by the vacuum thru filter, spitting crud back into the pool, that above a certain pressure water is bypassing the sand. This also means that the good strong flow of water i have is not particularly indicative of anything.

the valve is a

Pentair Body, Pentair 2" Top Mount Multiport Valve,6 Pos, Clamp-On​

(P/N 263085, 262525) it seems to be the one on page 840 (a few pages in) here https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...og-by-section/sec24-rp-valves-2022-lowres.pdf

The valve top assembly is 272568Z
Everything was working normally until the sand was replaced, so I'm looking for ideas which would explain the behavior based on something that could have gotten broken whilst changing the sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like the valve was taken apart.

Was everything put back together properly?

Why is this screw loose?

1665771607574.png

You might want to take everything back apart and check to see if there is a problem.

Maybe the water flow is not correct?

the orientation is correct - i did replace the top half of the valve, as the slightly worn O-ring (it is annoyingly not replaceable on its own) seemed like one obvious reason for the problem.
The problem existed before that though. There is no place for a nut on that one screw (it doesn't come out the other side). still there is a gasket and all the other screws are tight. It certainly isn't leaking water out of there; if it is sucking air in, i'd expect to see bubbles coming back into the pool though, right?

Did you watch them replace the sand?

Maybe they did something incorrectly?

Did you contact the service people who replaced the sand?

If yes, what do they have to say about the issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.