Low Flow or Low Level Pump Shutoff

smhuey

Jun 9, 2013
Advance, MO
I have an above ground pool. I want the circulation pump to shut down when the water level drops to a certain level. Is there an approved float switch for this? Or, an in-line flowmeter setup that would accomplish this; my pool heater has a flow switch with some timer logic built in to shut it down within a second or two of no flow

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Welcome to TFP.

Why? What are you trying to accomplish ?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Why? What are you trying to accomplish ?
As willygee said, concern about possible pump starvation. When I reconnected the pump & filter at the beginning of this season, I evidently did not get a plumbing connection tight enough. After about a week of running of normal operation, I happened to walk by and saw a transition fitting (1-1/2" PVC to hose) had just blown loose. Did not starve the pump but if I had not walked by when I did, it would have within minutes.

Nothing you can buy off the shelf. The problems of it glitching and your pump not turning on when it should outweigh any protection you think it gives you. Otherwise we would all have it.

That said if you are handy you can McGyver something with a float switch or flow switch closing a high voltage relay to turn the pump on or off. You need to think through the safety aspects and how to start the pump if using a flow switch.

Folks install an autofill to keep their pool full and pump running dry.

Nothing you can buy off the shelf. The problems of it glitching and your pump not turning on when it should outweigh any protection you think it gives you. Otherwise we would all have it.

That said if you are handy you can McGyver something with a float switch or flow switch closing a high voltage relay to turn the pump on or off. You need to think through the safety aspects and how to start the pump if using a flow switch.

Folks install an autofill to keep their pool full and pump running dry.
Allen, I do not disagree - it's probably overkill - pumps aren't all that expensive. Of course the safety aspect is first and foremost: all metal, including heat pump, pool frame, and water pump are bonded to a common ground at the sub-panel . We have an EE in the family and could surely build something to protect the pump either via float switch or flowmeter with logic built in, but was hoping for an over the counter solution to simplify things. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.