Lost power and pump housing froze and split

Wakey

Jun 6, 2016
Madison
I have a STA-RITE-MAX-E-PRO pump model #C48J2PA105C1. The pump housing has a 3" threaded connection on the top and front side. The model # is UT1100IGPP. The housing is split, when I apply power it squirts out strong so I would assume the motor is OK.
I'm asking for advice on what to order to fix this myself. My pool is chlorine, 32' x 16' - 4'8" on the deep end. I "think" it is around 17,000 gallons.

Thanks! I'll definitely get new O-rings, one of them expanded when I removed a union. Does that assembly look like it will mate to this pum

p?View attachment 466989
That is not a Max-E-Pro. It is an obsolete (no longer made) Dyna-Glas/Dyna-Pro. Part is still available, C76-71P, about the same price at Poolzoom.com. Same pump unions.
The number you gave is a Century motor number Sta-Rite used. Apparently, someone took a motor off a Max-E-Pro and put it on that pump. Motors are, more or less, universal as long as the horsepower is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wakey
Would second replacing with a VS pump unless you plan on moving soon. There is a bigger upfront cost, but the energy savings are worth it in the longer term. We can offer suggestions if you give us a ballpark budget for a replacement pump.

Reactions: Wakey and Leebo
Would second replacing with a VS pump unless you plan on moving soon. There is a bigger upfront cost, but the energy savings are worth it in the longer term. We can offer suggestions if you give us a ballpark budget for a replacement pump.

I don't mind the cost, I'm used to it haha Generally, I shoot for most bang for the buck. I will not be moving in the short term, if at all. I'd love some suggestions.

Calimar VS pump runs ~$500-600. Would be a better option vs putting significant $ into an old pump. I'm very happy with mine - quiet and uses far less electricity than my old single-speed.

I don't mind the cost, I'm used to it haha Generally, I shoot for most bang for the buck. I will not be moving in the short term, if at all. I'd love some suggestions.
If you decide to go with a VSP, get the largest horsepower model and dial it back in RPM to get the best results. gkw4815 mentions Calimar. They make two models: 1.5hp and 3hp. Get the three if you decide to go that route, you'll be happier. With your 1.5" plumbing you can't use the full flow of most any modern pump anyway. Not a problem, you just adapt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you decide to go with a VSP, get the largest horsepower model and dial it back in RPM to get the best results. gkw4815 mentions Calimar. They make two models: 1.5hp and 3hp. Get the three if you decide to go that route, you'll be happier. With your 1.5" plumbing you can't use the full flow of most any modern pump anyway. Not a problem, you just adapt.
I can re-plumb this at 2.5" on both ends but the Calimar is set at 2". I guess I need to step down from 2.5 to 2" with a new union? I'm working on the assumption that the bigger sized plumbing would be helpful for the performance of this system. I'm looking at the CaliMar CMARVSP3.0 which runs $519.00 and $35 for shipping.

Attachments

• 20230103_134255.jpg
    20230103_134255.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230103_134311.jpg
    20230103_134311.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 2
Fair enough. Are Pentair units OK without SVRS?

I've read threads here where people hoped to get 3 years out of the Calimar. My Lowes special lasted 8 years and would still be running if not for an ill-timed power outage.

I'm also reading up on the Pentair VS+SVRS 3 HP

You DO NOT want the SVRS unless you want to constantly have to re-set your pump. However, if you really want one, I have one in my side yard that has been there for 10+ years. Took it off a system very similar to yours with 1.5" plumbing. On second thought, I don't hate you enough to do that to you.:laughblue::laughblue::laughblue:

I can re-plumb this at 2.5" on both ends but the Calimar is set at 2". I guess I need to step down from 2.5 to 2" with a new union? I'm working on the assumption that the bigger sized plumbing would be helpful for the performance of this system. I'm looking at the CaliMar CMARVSP3.0 which runs $519.00 and $35 for shipping.

2.5" coupler with a 2.5" to 2" reducer bushing will fit over that valve. Two-inch plumbing from there to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.