Looking for help with freeze protection

Jetjohn6

Sep 22, 2019
Las Vegas
I've attached a photo of my panel. You can see I have a simple mechanical timer. I haven't taken the time to remove the blue portion of the panel to get more details on the timer. I'm hoping for suggestions on what I can do with this setup to get the pump to run automatically when there's a danger of freezing. I've seen some self contained Intermatic timer/freeze protection units available for sale. I'm wondering if there's something less expensive I can purchase and add to my current setup.

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 4
What temps do you usually get down to? You may not need freeze protection. Just because air temps get below 32F, doesn't mean the water will freeze in the pipes. This describes the risks and alternatives to freeze protection:

During the winter we get down as low as the 20s but I never use automated freeze protection.

What temps do you usually get down to? You may not need freeze protection. Just because air temps get below 32F, doesn't mean the water will freeze in the pipes. This describes the risks and alternatives to freeze protection:

During the winter we get down as low as the 20s but I never use automated freeze protection.

Thanks for the link. I did not come across that in my search. It sounds like I need not worry too much about freezing unless we get some unseasonably cold weather.

Reactions: HeyEng
OP does not have a heater (see sig).

But if there was one, the heat exchanger is sheltered by the outer housing of the heater so the heat transfer characteristics are not as pronounced as with exposed piping. This tends to compensate some for the higher thermal conductivity of the copper. Without wind, a 1" exchanger would freeze about the same time as exposed 1.5" PVC. With 15 mph wind, it would freeze about the same time as exposed 2" PVC.

Heat loss occurs through conduction, convection, radiation and evaporation. Most heat exchangers on NG pool heaters are of tube and fin construction just like a baseboard radiator used for home heating. Even though the pool heater has an outer housing, there is an air pathway from the burners through the heat exchanger and out through the inducer fan assembly. This just like a home heating baseboard radiator where the heat from the warmer media (water) is transferred to the cooler media (air) through conduction from the tube/fin and radiation/convection through the fins to the air. This warming of the air from the heat exchanger causes the warm air to rise up through the inducer fan assembly while drawing colder air in through the burner assembly and fire box below the heat exchanger. Covering the heater would block this air pathway and greatly reduce the heat loss from convection and radiation.

I didn't say heat was not transferred out of the heat exchanger. I said it was slower than it would be with direct exposure to the wind and sky. While air can pass through the enclosure, the fact that it is shielded from the sky temperature and wind significantly reduces the heat loss from the exchanger. This has the same effect as tarping the equipment.

There is a heat transfer spreadsheet in my signature that demonstrates this effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.