How to test freeze protection sensor

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Hi,
I just had an Intermatic P1353ME timer replaced. During this last hard freeze, my freeze protection did not kick in and the pool equipment froze. It seems the new P1353ME does not recognize the freeze protection sensor. I have taken the sensor off and I've ohmed the two bare wires while at ambient temperature and with a glass of water with ice. I get 14K ohms ambient and I get 32K ohms in the cold water. I'm assuming this is a valid way to test the sensor. When I connect the bare wires to the provided 4 pin connector (only two pins used), I'm unable to get a reading indicating the connector is the problem. I called Intermatic who basically said to buy a new sensor. The connector must be taken off prior to installation as the hole in the controller housing is not big enough for the connector to go through.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi,
I get 14K ohms ambient and I get 32K ohms in the cold water. I'm assuming this is a valid way to test the sensor.

The sensor is a 10K thermistor.

You can test the thermistor using a ohmeter and this chart:

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.