Looking for filter suggestions, salt water 8,000G AG pool.

Feb 21, 2017
NJ
Hey guys. Recently converted to SWG from Bacq. Best move we've ever made.

But I still have a sand filter...not sure what kind, it was here when we bought the house.
It's blowing sand into the pool, even after I repaired the octopus thing inside. Pool place wanted $100 JUST for the pvc octopus!!!

So...we're getting sick of vacuuming the pool, only to have sand on the bottom 30 minutes later.
What do you all recommend to replace it with? Should I stay with sand? Or something else?

Trying to keep this on the cheap. Say...south of $200.
Here's the pump I'm using: Amazon.com : Blue Wave NE6183 Tidal Wave 2-Speed Replacement Pump for Above Ground Pool, 1.5 HP : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks guys!

With SWG the natural, first choice would be cartridge filter. No back washing, so no loss of salt. Second choice DE, they filter just a bit better than cartridge, but the trade off is that they require the most maintenance. Sand is the last choice, the amount of water used in backwashing will have you needing to add salt and other chemicals.
If it were me...cartridge filter. If I had it to do over that's what I would have.

Read more about filters below:
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.