Sand Filter or Cartridge Filter for Above Ground Pool?

1Civilengr

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2023
lynchburg Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a 4700 gallon Intex pool, with the included small (0.18 hp) pump and 10" sand filter. The system is adequate, but barely. I can only run the vacuum on "recirculate", and must backwash a couple times a week. The difference between "clean sand filter, full flow" and "too low flow for heat pump to run" is only about 3 psi.
I'm planning on upgrading the system to add a more powerful pump (0.5 to 0.75 hp) and a larger filter.
My question is whether I should stick with a sand filter, or switch to a cartridge (maybe with a vortex prefilter) for this small system. I didn't realize that filters are a viable option for these small pumps, but my small amount of research indicates there may be advantages over the sand filter.
Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Much appreciated!!

This applies to ALL pools. Get the biggest of whatever you decide, that you can afford. You might consider getting a SWCG with it...such as the intex...

Reactions: 1Civilengr
This applies to ALL pools. Get the biggest of whatever you decide, that you can afford. You might consider getting a SWCG with it...such as the intex...

Thanks for the link! As usual, I posted before I spent much time looking at the massive amount of info on this site!! I do have the Intex SWCG, and I'm pleased with it's performance. The "stock" filter and pump are just too anemic for me.

Sounds like we have very similar setups. I had the same concern with the barely adequate pump/filter that came with my Intex, so I upgraded to the next size - the 12" sand filter with increased flowrate and has the pre-filter basket. I also updated my returns to a full 1.5" and some rigid PVC tubing. All in all much better flow - but still the 'slow' filtering of the sand pump. Vacuuming is better now - but I still get decreased suction fairly quickly.

Reactions: 1Civilengr
Sounds like we have very similar setups. I had the same concern with the barely adequate pump/filter that came with my Intex, so I upgraded to the next size - the 12" sand filter with increased flowrate and has the pre-filter basket. I also updated my returns to a full 1.5" and some rigid PVC tubing. All in all much better flow - but still the 'slow' filtering of the sand pump. Vacuuming is better now - but I still get decreased suction fairly quickly.
Thanks for sharing this! I have upgraded to Sch 40 PVC suction lines, but I have to throttle one of the suction lines way back in order for the skimmer to work at all - basically just need more flow!
My current thinking is to go with a 2 speed pump in the 3/4 - 1 HP range) and switch to a filter system. My main concern with the cartridge is how much room above it is required to remove the cartridges, since it will be installed under my deck.
I may actually engineer this bugger (create the pump and system curves so I will know exactly the operating range before I drop the $$ for new components).

Intex is infamous for providing marginal equipment.

If you are used to sand, I would stay with sand when you upgrade. You won't regret the additional performance you receive with either type.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.