Looking for a double check of my rushed pump selection.

himself

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2010
I'm currently rushing through selection of a replacement pump for my 12k gallon in-ground pool. The pool, plumbing, and pumps were all installed by the previous homeowner. The current pump is the original Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 1HP, I'm estimating it's age at around 8 years. It failed a few days ago in somewhat spectacular fashion shooting sparks and burning insulation out the exhaust vent. I'm trying to rush a decision on a new pump, so I can replace it before my pool turns into a total swamp. I want to apologize in advance for asking a few RTFM type questions. I've tried to be diligent in skimming the product manuals, but I'm not being as thorough as I would like due to time constraints.

The plumbing was all done with glued PVC unions, there isn't a removable threaded connection on the entire setup. As such, I'm going to have to cut all the plumbing to replace the pump. I figure I might as well do a few upgrades while I have the whole system apart.

My goals are:
  1. Two speed pump or VSD, whichever is cost effective.
  2. A Warranty with self-install
  3. Possible conversion to SWG

I was hoping to stick with Pentair, but I've been reading they won't warranty self-install. I'm now considering Hayword pumps, I've read they are comparable to Pentair. These are the pumps I think might work, in order of preference. I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback:
  1. Hayward SP3010X152AZ Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump, Dual-Speed
  2. Hayward SP32102EE TriStar 1 HP Pool Pump, Dual-Speed
  3. Hayward SP3202VSP 1.85 HP Tristar Variable-Speed Pool Pump

Some questions:
  1. My current pump is a single speed. The current timer (Intermatic PF1202T) seems to not support a dual speed pump. Can I assume this means I should plan on a new timer? Who makes a good timer? I don't have any automation needs, just basic on/off at times of day type control.
  2. The Tristar variable speed pump says it doesn't need a timer, it has one built in. Would it be able to also control the polaris booster pump? I really considering the Tristar VS pump if it eliminates the need for a timer. It looks like the Tristar VS price is almost the same as the Tristar 2-Speed + Seperate Timer price.
  3. What is the difference between Super II and Tristar pumps? The super II seem to have higher power motors, but produce less hydraulic power (based on motor specs and pump curves). Is the difference just pump efficiency?
  4. My current plumbing is all hard glued joints, as mentioned. I'm planning to use these threaded o-ring unions. Are these as good as they appear? Does anyone ever use flexible hose for the pump connections? My employment gets me access to pretty much anything from the Parker Hose catalog. I'm wondering if I could make the install easier with some 2" suction rated flexible hose.
  5. Is there anything I needed to consider if I plan to also add a SWG? Is the SWG also controlled by the timer, or is it just a flow switch? I was going to post separately on the SWG section for SWG recommendations, but I'd happily take any you have here.

This is what my setup looks like, plumbing is all 2":

chrome_2018-04-02_10-19-32.png

chrome_2018-04-02_10-25-09.png

chrome_2018-04-02_10-26-48.png

h,

Another option would be to just buy a 2-speed motor and use the original pump...

I currently have Pentair equipment and if one of my pumps blew up today, I would self install another Pentair before I would convert to a Hayward pump... I've had a couple of Hayward pumps and I no longer do.. :p But to be fair my failure points were with the motors and not the actual pumps...

If you go with a 2-speed motor you will need an additional timer or one built for a 2-speed pump.

The pump unions that you show in your post are the only way I'll ever install another pump... They are perfect..

The flow switch that comes with the SWCG is a "Secondary" safety device... You still need a "Primary" safety device, which is removing the power to the salt system when the pump is not running. A few pumps have internal relays, but most do not... Most people use a mechanical timer synced with the VS pump's internal electronic timer...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you remember which of the Hayward pumps you had issues with?

Have you had to try to warranty any of the Pentair stuff? I'm curious how strict they are on self installed equipment.

I considered replacing only the motor, but the pump housing is also pretty beat up. Also, the PG that installed the pump used some sort of sealant on the threaded fittings on the pump. It's not obvious to me if this is pipe dope, RTV, or some other type of sealant that dries semi-solid.

h,

The Hayward pumps were several years ago and they were both Super Pumps or Super Pumps II... Two different pools very short live span. For both pools I bought two IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7 for the past five years or so. I installed both pumps and never gave the warranty issue a thought. If they last the initial 60 days, I'm betting they last forever... But that is because most companies use their warranty periods as sales tactics and not because they believe that that their equipment is going to fail. :p

I suspect it is pipe dope which hardens up like a rock but just cracks right off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.