Liquid chlorine hard to find

Welcome to the forum!
There a number of threads on that subject in the forum.
Research Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ocean State Job Lots, etc in your area. Most have liquid chlorine in stock.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I have seen it in every store up here so far. Pool store, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Menards, Farm and Fleet all had it for standard prices.

Different areas may vary.

Edit: this is all “liquid shock” pool chlorine. I haven’t specifically looked for bleach, but I’ve never found any that didn’t have unwanted additives anyway.

Anyone else having a difficult time finding liquid chlorine during this COVID-19 pandemic?

I found it at Home Depot !

Search for Chlorinating Liquid...

HDX makes it. It comes in 3 - 1 gallon boxes and has a 12% concentration. There is a discount when you purchase.

Its a lower cost than the bleach found elsewhere too.

Good luck !

Puertex

Seems like most but definitely not all Walmart's have it in the gardening section. Look for Pool Essentials brand. Seems to be avoided by the hoarders since it doesn't have bleach on the label. I used liquid bleach for 5 years and switched about a year ago to swg... never guessed this virus shortage would be a benefit.

Chris

Anyone have problems with the HASA liquid chlorine from Leslie's? My local HD was out of Liquid Chlorine, so I went to the Leslie's across the street and got 4 gallons of HASA LC, at 12.5% (according to the store). Put that in the tank for the stenner. Yesterday I noticed the beginnings of a Black Algae outbreak. Not sure if it's coincidence or not.
Readings from last night
FC 5
pH 7.3
TA 140
CH 410
CYA 40
Temp 81F
CSI .06

Doubt it's coincidence. What's your cc? It seems I read more about out-dated liquid chlorine at the end of season or in winter at big box stores. HASA usually does a better job of controlling their inventory. Do you have a date code? Check to see the FC rise after adding within an hour to see if it goes up to the level Pool Math predicts.

At risk of stating the obvious it seems like you need a SLAM asap.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ollie's Bargain Outlet sells it the cheapest where I live at 10% concentration made by Kik. It's fresh stuff. They keep it only during the season and if I wait too late in the season, it'll be bought back and no longer in the store. In fact, Ollie's is the only place I can get the liquid kind above 6% concentration locally, and it's the cheapest anyway comparing to bleach anywhere around me. We have a Lowe's but no Home Depot. Lowe's doesn't carry pool products here except muriatic acid. Walmart has 10% but it's more expensive and more expensive than their own bleach dose for dose. The pool stores carry only cal hypo and trichlor where I live. I'm not sure what they are telling customers who come in maxed out on both CH and CYA. I don't think the "B" word ever crosses their lips. I guess they probably let them slowly build up CYA throughout the year using trichlor and then switch them over to cal hypo. But it makes one wonder about years two and beyond when their CH is built up from cal hypo and CYA is also high by mid year. I have heard them tell people not use anymore stabilized chlorine products once they're above 65 on CYA. They then turn them on to cal hypo. I guess at the point where CH is maxed out, they've got to do a drain and then start back on trichlor.

I'm in Tennessee and no Wal-Marts have it. I went to Lowe's which is my 2nd choice but the dates on it said 2018. I informed the manager who said she would get it fixed but I've not been back. I've got a Home Depot 20 miles away that has 3 boxes of the 3 pack and I think I'll drive up there this evening to get those if they're still there. I'm having a hard time finding it this year for sure.

We were out in south austin for about 2 weeks. Then it went under restriction for a bit, one bottle per cust. Then our local leslies started stocking it, when they weren't before. I was in our local home depot a week ago, and there was only one bottle of HDX on the shelf, but now Leslies has pallets of it. And with the price of chlorine calculator it came in cheaper than the HDX in our area. Maybe Leslie's is picking up on something. Over hear anyhow. I was getting a "good luck with that" when I told them I was using liquid bleach. Now I'm getting "how many do you need" who knows.

My pool was opened yesterday and I went to Walmart to get liquid chlorine and there was 0. There were tons a few weeks ago. All the stores for miles have 0, online has 0, Home Depot has 0, Lowes has 0. What is going on??? Walmart did have bleach, but it was $4.68/gal!! I have some emergency tablets in my shed, but I really wanted to continue the TFP method. Leslies won’t sell liquid chlorine online so I couldn’t price check after hours. Hopefully I can find some liquid chlorine at a decent price this weekend. I’m kicking myself for not stocking up before.

• Wow
Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.