Lights will not turn on and mystery at the GFCI outlet by AquaLink RS

Aug 25, 2015
Frisco/TX
Hi. I’m baffled. The pool lights will not go on. I hear a click in the AquaLink box. The GFCI outlet connected to AquaLink RS doesn’t give electricity to either plug. I replaced it....same issues. Voltage tester showed power. But test button doesn’t work. There is a PX100 transformer. That’s mystery box to me.
Any thoughts on what I can try?
All the best.
jim104209

If the test button doesn't work, maybe you have a ground fault somewhere. ;)

When you say your tester shows power, are you measuring on the supply line to the outlet?

My guess would be that you have power going to to the outlet, but that something is causing it to trip, therefore no power is going to anything down the line from your GFCI. You say you already replaced the GFCI outlet, so most likely there is a fault somewhere. Couple of things to try:
  • Unplug everything down the line from it
  • Did you add anything new? I inadvertently caused a ground fault when I added a smart switch that required a neutral. Not thinking, I ran a new wire to the neutral bus bar in the panel (instead of through the GFCI outlet like I was supposed to) - it caused the GFCI to trip instantly every time power was turned on or I hit the reset button on it. After fixing the neutral line, all was good.

Reactions: jimmerpro
Hi. Having an actually fault has crossed my mind but I think was something initiated by lightning the other day. I haven’t added anything new. In that pic I posted it shows 120v on the tester touching the supply wires.
I wouldn’t know how to unplug the pool lights. They are wired. Maybe they or their px100 transformer is the issue.
I had a landscape transformer and an outdoor camera plugged in the outlets. But unplugging the didn’t change anything.
I appreciate the reply.
Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.