Leveling for intex pool

Tscott667

May 31, 2022
Florence SC
So it looks like alot of people dig up the grass about 2 inches then put sand down. But, the intex manual says dont use sand. So am I not suppose to be using sand? We were going to use sand but not anymore. We just starting getting rid of the grass and leveling. If im not suppose to use sand after I get rid of the grass and level, do i just use soil?

We are going to use a weed barrier with the intex plastic that comes with it. After we level with soil since you arnt suppose to use sand. Is this a smart plan? The last question I have is what soil is best, any type thats the cheapest?

Hello Tscott.... welcome to TFP. Ive attached the above TFP articles to help you.

Maddie ☮️
Thanks for the links! I read them and actually helped me with a few questions I did have especially about rust and how to prevent it.

However, it still didn't really answer my question. I've already tilled the yard, got it pretty level so far by using a board and leveler. We dug DOWN to the lowest point and leveled it off to that. I just have a few spots and need to add some to get it completely level. We were about to go buy the sand but then read the Intex manual and it says not to use sand. So I guess we will be going with soil/dirt. We know about carpet, foam boards, all the other stuff but want to go with dirt/soil. I know you can't use regular fill dirt since that's mostly rock. So what do people recommend as the best option price wise and the best to use overall.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We dug out and leveled the soil. We dug down an extra inch and sifted the dirt with a DIY sifter (screen, held together with 2x2 wood and a wheelbarrow) to remove any rock and debree. Then used sand to level within an inch give or take. I used a laser level and compactor. Then covered with 1" foam board. On our 3rd season with zero issues. Pool stays up year-round.

Intex tells u not to use sand because people will try to use it to level the ground instead of digging (which doesn’t work because the sand gets compressed)
If u level the ground properly & are on virgin compacted ground you can use sand or foam if u wish (for comfort under foot 🦶) but it is not necessary & using just the provided ground cloth (tarp) is fine too.
I suggest grass killer & granular insecticide as well especially if u intend to leave the pool up year round.
Be sure any pavers are dug down with their tops even w/ the leveled virgin ground.

Intex tells u not to use sand because people will try to use it to level the ground instead of digging (which doesn’t work because the sand gets compressed)
If u level the ground properly & are on virgin compacted ground you can use sand or foam if u wish (for comfort under foot 🦶) but it is not necessary & using just the provided ground cloth (tarp) is fine too.
I suggest grass killer & granular insecticide as well especially if u intend to leave the pool up year round.
Be sure any pavers are dug down with their tops even w/ the leveled virgin ground.
Thanks, I guess that makes a lot sense. I was so confused when I read people using sand over and over again then the manual said not to, if thats the case what you said, I guess that makes sense now.

Thanks, I guess that makes a lot sense. I was so confused when I read people using sand over and over again then the manual said not to, if thats the case what you said, I guess that makes sense now.
I guess since I have yall here, we were going to get mason sand, but any other suggestions? The cheapest the best. We will be going to lowes since we have $200 gift cards from the Holidays.

I have only ever used the tarp that came w/ the pool - if u have rocky soil the extra cushion is probably not a bad thing though as rocks will work their way up when that water weight compresses the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not use any sand. Just the ground cloth that came with the pool (btw, this is useless. It seems to be disintegrating.) I put a gorilla pad over that, which seems to be holding up really well.
How long have you had it there? We were going to put some sand to 100% level it off, a weed barrier then the pad, the weed barrier was pretty much there to stop grass and such from growing there. We got some thick weed barrier. We were going to get a 15'x42" pool but decided to not go so big at first since we are newbies and instead got a 12'x30" pool since it was on sale. We wil probably use this one for 2 years, if it's good enough for us we might not even upgrade but thinking about taking it down probably every other years, unless others advice not to do that. So baby steps.

How long have you had it there? We were going to put some sand to 100% level it off, a weed barrier then the pad, the weed barrier was pretty much there to stop grass and such from growing there. We got some thick weed barrier. We were going to get a 15'x42" pool but decided to not go so big at first since we are newbies and instead got a 12'x30" pool since it was on sale. We wil probably use this one for 2 years, if it's good enough for us we might not even upgrade but thinking about taking it down probably every other years, unless others advice not to do that. So baby steps.
This will be the third season for this pool and I leave it up all year. I am in IL, so I winterize. Basically, the gorilla pad is to stop weeds and rocks from poking through and it has worked for that. I would only put sand if you wanted it for comfort. It won't level the ground. If you are only leaving up for 2 years, I don't think you need to worry too much.
I was one of those "covid pool" buyers and I said, when things got back to normal, I was going to take it down. But now, I like it too much and will leave it up until it dies, lol.

This will be the third season for this pool and I leave it up all year. I am in IL, so I winterize. Basically, the gorilla pad is to stop weeds and rocks from poking through and it has worked for that. I would only put sand if you wanted it for comfort. It won't level the ground. If you are only leaving up for 2 years, I don't think you need to worry too much.
I was one of those "covid pool" buyers and I said, when things got back to normal, I was going to take it down. But now, I like it too much and will leave it up until it dies, lol.
Once we are done, I'm sure we won't be able to get it perfectly level that and we will have to dig/till probably about 1 to 2 inches to just get past all the grass and their roots will be poking up a little bit through the dirt, so how do we level it off from there if not using sand? I'm hoping we will only need an inch if that of sand, and I guess the pool inside the circle by an inch isn't bad. I've been watching so many videos and still have questions. lol

Once we are done, I'm sure we won't be able to get it perfectly level that and we will have to dig/till probably about 1 to 2 inches to just get past all the grass and their roots will be poking up a little bit through the dirt, so how do we level it off from there if not using sand? I'm hoping we will only need an inch if that of sand, and I guess the pool inside the circle by an inch isn't bad. I've been watching so many videos and still have questions. lol
Personally, I wouldn't dig just to get rid of roots. You can use a grass killer or something like that before laying the tarp or whatever you are planning on using. Dig till it's level, but it doesn't need to be perfect. I think one inch off level is darn good, but I will let others chime in. There are also quite a few people on here that have used foam board.

You must dig down the high areas so they are level with the low areas - as stated above the sand or anything else for that matter, that u try to use to “fill in” the low spots will compress & the pool will become unlevel as it fills.
Make a level- use the tips in the “how to level an above ground pool” article & get the ground level (within an inch all the way around is best) before proceeding- there’s nothing worse than doing all that work, calling it “good enough” & then filling the pool only to have to drain & level some more. Just do it right the 1st time. It will be worth it in the long run & much less work.
My husband was impatient on my last intex & we had to learn the hard lesson 3 times - it sucked. Water will always find its way to level.
if the pool frame & bottom isn’t placed on level ground it will lean & as u fill it will only get worse.

Cool thanks guys! The place we are putting the pool, it does slope up a little bit, so on the high areas ill be digging/tilling to get to the low areas, THEN digging/tilling the low area to get rid of the grass and maybe a hair further. From there try to get it level as possible. THEN add whatever sand we need. Might need a little bit of sand just to get it really close to being level, I'll be using the wood/leveler pivot method to get it level, then as a base layer for foot feel, maybe half an inch or even less if I can? Then Weed barrier, then tarp that comes with the pool. Then use footers for the legs that sits on the actual hard dirt/weed barrier/tarp, not the sand that's if I need to do .5 inches of sand which I hope I won't have to.

I think I have the process in my head correct. Easier said than actual done though.

Truly, putting in the extra effort now on the spot is well worth it in the long run. I did the dirt leveling like you then put sand on top for the softness on the feet in lieu of padding, and it served me well for almost a decade with my AGP, so would definitely recommend. Takes forever, but so worth it, and you're setting yourself up for less pain in the future.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Truly, putting in the extra effort now on the spot is well worth it in the long run. I did the dirt leveling like you then put sand on top for the softness on the feet in lieu of padding, and it served me well for almost a decade with my AGP, so would definitely recommend. Takes forever, but so worth it, and you're setting yourself up for less pain in the future.
It sure is, I also have an office job, but used to work on the roof. So, working outside and sweating feel so dang good! But it's so hot here in South Carolina!

Reactions: rj2222

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.