atxjmy512

Mar 19, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Before I start... I know the response is going to be "why'd you go there?!? Trust your testing!" Yes, I know. :) I had rewards to use to buy some liquid chlorine and I was curious how far off their testing was going to be.

After listening to them tell the guy in front of me that he needed to have his pool resurfaces because his CYA was high (I'm not kidding!). The associate returned to me with an ashen face... "Sir your water needs help. Your alk is 51, your CL is way too high at 6 ppm, your CC is 0.3, your CYA is 74 and your phosphates are 758... but we have what you need. First we need you to add 10 lbs of Alk up, then you need to add Clor Neutralizer, then you need some Fresh N Clear to clear the high combined chlorine. Lastly you need some noPhos to get rid of those phosphates"

All that is interesting... because i did a full panel with my Taylor K2006C before I left. My CL is in fact 6 ppm because I follow TFP which says that 6 is the level i need given my CYA level, which is not 74 - it's between 50 and 60. My Alkalinity is in fact 70... And phosphates don't matter if you have enough CL in your pool for your CYA level. You would think based on their grim assessment that my water was a foul tepid pond... When if fact its a brilliant clear blue. Its the cleanest pool water I know thanks to TFP. I know i should have expected this but WOW.

full

It does make me wonder though a little about CyA.. All the other tests are precise - this many drops times this equals your level... CyA is a lot more subjective... do it until you can't see it... Can I really still see the dot or am i just imaging that i can? Was there too much light? should i have done it in a darker location? That's the one that concerns me most... Still not enough to trust Leslie's though.

Don't worry, we got you; just open up that wallet and we can get you all fixed up.
From the 16 year old girl who had to get a ride to work..........

My pool store has a king among men. A 24 year old with 5 years experience !!!!

Reactions: JamesW
It does make me wonder though a little about CyA.. All the other tests are precise - this many drops times this equals your level... CyA is a lot more subjective... do it until you can't see it... Can I really still see the dot or am i just imaging that i can? Was there too much light? should i have done it in a darker location? That's the one that concerns me most... Still not enough to trust Leslie's though.
You want a very well-lit space, just not direct light on the water from the sun. Recommendation is a sunny day, but doing the test in your shadow.

We need an investigative journalist to pose as a new Lester's Pool Store trainee that is attending the the "art of the pool chem upsell" class.
Step 1, the facade of professional testing method.
Step 2, Installing the fear.
Step 3, Providing and selling the solutions.
Step 4, Compute your commissions.
Step 5, Establishing a long term customer and income stream.
Step 6, Invest in Lester's profit sharing program.

Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
Step 6, Invest in Lester's profit sharing program.

You too can participate if you believe LESL will succeed...

1654717579622.png

This is not financial advice. This is not a recommendation to buy or sell any stocks or securities. None of this is a solicitation to buy or sell securities.

• Haha
Reactions: Oly and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want a very well-lit space, just not direct light on the water from the sun. Recommendation is a sunny day, but doing the test in your shadow.
What I've been doing is on my pool deck in the sun but to your point in my shadow. Sounds like that's potentially the wrong place. Would in my kitchen with the lights on be better?

It does make me wonder though a little about CyA..
I think everyone begins their pool testing with uncertainty......surely the CYA test being the worst.

1. Missing it by 10-15 points doesn't really matter and, I promise, you will get a bit better in time.

2. It is the best REASONABLY priced test there is. I am sure there is some scientific lab test somewhere that may do better but no affordable for a pool kit.

Reactions: Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.