Led 120 or 12v?

Blower does not require a GFCI.

Pumps should have GFCI based on current NEC. Many older pools are grandfathered in from older NEC before GFCI requirement.
Ok, that is good to know. The 240 circuit feeds 2 pumps, the blower, the heater (110), and an old aqua rite chlorine generator that I already disconnected.

Ok, that is good to know. The 240 circuit feeds 2 pumps, the blower, the heater (110), and an old aqua rite chlorine generator that I already disconnected.

How many amps is that 240 circuit?

Hm... Wondering now if I should buy the Pentair Amerilite Incandescent and just replace the bulb for an LED. Anything I should take into consideration before replacing an incandescent bulb with LED using the incandescent housing?
YEAH change that freaking fixture out it's completely f d... take another look down that fixure. Pull it, and replace it, then change the bulb to a j&j led. I'd use the amerilite gasket. The white one. If you use the red one that comes with the bulb J&J will warranty it. But it will only last a year or two then start leaking. Pull the fixture use the j&j bulb with the amerilite white gasket and you wont have to mess with that light again for 4 or five years.

Quick question, If 12 volt and 120 are the same as far as safty why would we need GFCIs on 120 around water but not 12 volt? Did I read something wrong? I'm only talking about the lights

Last edited:
Reactions: Fpppool
The breaker is 30 AMPs. Not sure about the average and total consumption

That circuit should not be loaded more then 24 amps.

You hould look at the motor data plates and equipment data plates and manuals and total up your max amps if everything is running.

Another unrelated/related question: I just noticed that none of my niches seem to be grounded. Pictures attached. What is your experience with this? Are niches usually grounded?

Attachments

• Pool_Niche.jpg
    Pool_Niche.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Spa_Niche.jpg
    Spa_Niche.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2
Another unrelated/related question: I just noticed that none of my niches seem to be grounded. Pictures attached. What is your experience with this? Are niches usually grounded?

First of all are you confusing grounding with bonding?

How old is your pool? Electical requirements for pools have evolved over the years and what the NEC requires now may not have been required at the time your pool was built.

First of all are you confusing grounding with bonding?

How old is your pool? Electical requirements for pools have evolved over the years and what the NEC requires now may not have been required at the time your pool was built.
I think I am. Meant bonded. The pool was built in 1997.

Are the niches usually easy to change or are they glued to the plaster?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are the niches usually easy to change or are they glued to the plaster?

Niches are usually press fit into the concrete shell and held in place by the conduit in the back. Then the front of the niche may be plastered over. So the answer is, it depends on what was done with your pool.

Metal light niches are often used for the water bond. If your light niche is not bonded then what provides the water bond in your pool?

Pool electrical code requirements are described in the National Electric Code (NEC) section 680. The NFPA provides free access to the NEC and other codes.

Taking the Mystery Out of Equipotential Bonding Requirements for Swimming Pools is a good primer to understand equipotential bonding in pools.

A good reference is from Mike Holt Enterprises on Article 680—Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, Fountains, and Similar Installations.

Also How to Verify That a Pool is Safe from Electric Shock – In Accordance with the National Electrical Code from Mike Holt.

Niches are usually press fit into the concrete shell and held in place by the conduit in the back. Then the front of the niche may be plastered over. So the answer is, it depends on what was done with your pool.

Metal light niches are often used for the water bond. If your light niche is not bonded then what provides the water bond in your pool?

Pool electrical code requirements are described in the National Electric Code (NEC) section 680. The NFPA provides free access to the NEC and other codes.

Taking the Mystery Out of Equipotential Bonding Requirements for Swimming Pools is a good primer to understand equipotential bonding in pools.

A good reference is from Mike Holt Enterprises on Article 680—Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, Fountains, and Similar Installations.

Also How to Verify That a Pool is Safe from Electric Shock – In Accordance with the National Electrical Code from Mike Holt.
Thanks! Ill review this and most likely will have someone checking this out. The only thing I know for sure is that the GFCI worked as expected since the spa light housing was filled with water.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
GFCI is a totally different safety system then bonding to protect against different faults.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.