Leak in Plumbing

Apr 18, 2023
Charlotte, NC
I have an older pool that was built in the late 80s. We bought the house last year and my kids loved it over the summer! From the beginning, I always noticed that Water seems to be dissipating from the pool faster than the expected 2 to 3 inches a from evaporation per week. As a solution, I simply put about 20 to 30 minutes of water in the pool each day as a temporary fix. Now that we are getting into the winter, I am starting to see the water level lower much faster. For example, during the past week, it lost over a foot with pump on the entire time. Today, I decided to do some closer investigation. One thing, I’ll Note, the water level, only seems to drop when the pump is on. Another thing I will note, is the pump always loses prime when it is not on for any long period of time.

Since we are in the middle of a drought right now, I decided to closely inspect the ground to look for damp spots. I noticed that my equipment pad was bone dry. I moved some leaves that were in front of the equipment pad and noticed that one spot, about 2 feet, was noticeably damper soil than the surrounding dirt that was dry.

While the pump was on, started to dig and found a small pipe and a large PVC pipe that seem to line up with the return on the equipment pad . The deeper I dug, the soil was slushy, and eventually when I got to the pipes, the hole started slowly filling with water, which definitely indicated to me that there is a leak.

I’m really hoping that I found the problem and that it is the only problem. Tomorrow, I am going to dig up everything around that area and investigate. Please let me know if anyone has any advice out there. Does anyone know what I can expect to find and how I will fix? If I stop this leak, could it also solve my prime issue from where it is at?

Attached are a few pictures of the wet spot I found in the hole that I dug. You can see where it lines up with the equipment pad. The small pipe sticking out of the ground on the equipment pad that is capped off appears to be the same type and diameter of one of the pipes underground near the leak. Does anyone know what this small pipe is for? The other pipe I see under ground is a larger diameter PVC that seems to match the return or suction pipes.

Any advice that anyone has would be great. Really hoping I found my problem. This will be much easier to solve than something under concrete slab, or even worse, a concrete pool.

The first picture shows the size of the damp spot on the ground. The other picture shows the hole I dug and pipes I uncovered.

I did notice that the water that rose in the hole did dissipate when I turned the pump off. This made me think the leak is function of the pump being on.

Attachments

• IMG_5483.jpeg
    IMG_5483.jpeg
    899.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 25
Keep on digging since you need to expose enough of the leaking pipe to get your hands onto the pipe and cut out the broken pipe and glue in a new piece.

Once you see the extent of the break we can talk about repair techniques.

It does sound like you found the source of your leak.

Reactions: Bperry
OK. Did some digging. I found one pipe that seems to be leaking with low pressure when the pump is on. See the picture where water is squirting out. I am guessing this is a suction pipe. Since it is low pressure, I am wondering if I can fix it with some type of epoxy made for PVC and damp.

The second leak I found is going to be much harder. It is in one of these three ribbed pipes in the other picture that are all tightly stacked on top of each other. The water seems to be coming out much faster when the pump is on from those which makes me think they are pressure side.

The problem is that these pipes are so tightly bundled together, I do not see how I can even begin to address, finding the leak, much less cutting them in replacing them.

My theory is that I’m going to need to dig up a bunch more to be able to give the pipes the ability to move around some so that I can manipulate them.

Please see my pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5487.jpeg
    IMG_5487.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    919 KB · Views: 16
The ribbed pipes appear to be flexible PVC.

You'll need to dig a bunch more out so you can maneuver them around to find the leak. For me personally, and I'm by no means an expert, I'd cut out the sections that are leaking and replace them, rather than trying to patch a hole.

A hole in a suction pipe will suck in air and not squirt out water. All those leaking pipes are on the pressure side.

I would replace as much of the flex PVC as you can while you have the area open. Otherwise you will be in there again in a few years fixing another leak. We discourage the use of flex PVC in buried pipes.

Welcome to the world of plumbing. You keep digging and get wet. Yes, you will need to open up a wide area to get your hands and tools on the leaking pipe. Fix it right and fix it once.

I would dig back to the pad and to where the pipe comes out of the ground at the pad.

Last edited:
find the hole, cut it and use a double barb fitting with hose clamps. You may need to use a heat gun on the flex pipe. It works.

See pictures.

I had success. One thing I learned, I hate digging holes. Especially when there are crêpe myrtle trees in your yard with roots.

All the leaking flex pipes removed and new PVC in. The pool now holds prime much better and does not suck air in pump…. not to mention it now does not lose water..

One thing I noticed is that the filter pressure seems to be lower in general and more stabilized, not going up and down as much. Does this relate to fixing the air leaks on suction side?

Second question, before I dug, there was a gray PVC pipe capped, probably designated for electrical, sticking out of the ground. (SEE PICTURE with Circle) I accidentally broke it, and realized that it has nothing in it. I’m thinking that they ran this conduit as a back up or part of some type of code in case the other electrical conduit fails to pool lights, it is already there. Is this accurate??

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpeg
    IMG_5724.jpeg
    913.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See pictures.

I had success. One thing I learned, I hate digging holes. Especially when there are crêpe myrtle trees in your yard with roots.

All the leaking flex pipes removed and new PVC in. The pool now holds prime much better and does not suck air in pump…. not to mention it now does not lose water..

One thing I noticed is that the filter pressure seems to be lower in general and more stabilized, not going up and down as much. Does this relate to fixing the air leaks on suction side?

Second question, before I dug, there was a gray PVC pipe capped, probably designated for electrical, sticking out of the ground. (SEE PICTURE with Circle) I accidentally broke it, and realized that it has nothing in it. I’m thinking that they ran this conduit as a back up or part of some type of code in case the other electrical conduit fails to pool lights, it is already there. Is this accurate??

Attachments

• IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.