May 19, 2017
New York
Hello Everyone,

I just opened my pool the other day. It's an IGP, approx 42k gallons. The pool held water over the winter without any signs of leaking. In the fall I left the water a little below the skimmers, and when I removed the cover a few days ago, the water was at the top of the skimmers. I ran the filter for a few hours - I vacuumed on waste to remove some leaf litter and got the water down to the appropriate level. I then shutdown the filter - I'm having my liner changed in a couple of weeks and I decided there isn't any point in cleaning the water and then draining it.

So the pump is off and I noticed the water level has been decreasing quickly - perhaps a couple of inches a day. My liner is in very bad shape so there is the possibility that I have leak, but I was extraordinary careful when using the vac. I'm now wondering if the leak started when I removed the gizmos from the skimmers?? I don't think I have a leak at the main drain since the water level held over the winter - the only real change I can think of is the removal of the gizmos and opening the jets. I am having the lines pressure tested prior to liner replacement. I suppose if the water keeps dropping and stops at the bottom of the skimmer, that would indicate some kind of leak. Is there any ideas how I can figure this out for certain ? Changing the return line plumbing would be a big job. I'm thinking of filling the pool up a bit and putting the gizmos back in to whether it holds.

Any thoughts ? Thank you !!

Also - along with the liner, the skimmers, light, steps are being replaced too.

Well, before assuming the worse with the skimmers or a preemptive strike on the liner, you might check the multiport valve. Since you vacuumed to waste recently, check to make sure it's not allowing some water to continually flow out the waste hose/port, even when the handle is on filter. Might be a spider gasket issue.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Unfortunately that's not it - spider gasket is brand new in the multi-port and it's doesn't seem to be losing any water out of the waste line. The pump's been off too. I should be able to figure this out. If the water drops below the skimmers, and water remains in the skimmers reservoir, I would guess that means no leak from underneath. I'm also planning to fill the pool up a bit, plug the jets and see if leaks - if not, I'll plug the skimmers and open the jets and see if it leaks. Thanks you for the response !

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hello,

If possible, can someone provide their opinion on my situation. My pump has been off for about a week. The water level dropped quickly from the skimmer second screw to below the first screw within about three days. It’s been relatively stable for the past 4 days – any additional loss can probably be attributed to evaporation. Water is no longer entering the skimmer, but the skimmer basket still has water in it. Would you agree that this would eliminate the skimmer return line as a source of the leak ? I would think it would have emptied the basket.

I’m trying to figure out the source of my water loss - I find it strange that the water level held and actually increased significantly over the winter – but after removing my gizmos and jet plugs, I started noticing the water level decrease quickly. IMG_1229.jpg

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you

Well if that's where it stopped could we agree it may be because the water isn't entering the skimmer anymore but you also say the skimmer basket is full with water so you know that that part is not losing water either. Perhaps check around the complete pool in at that level and see if there are any visible holes or a cut in the liner. If not it can also be around the skimmer frame....I just can't see how you'll work with murky water and expect to see something.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - but I'm confused as to how it held water over the winter. Liner, coping, stairs, etc. are being replaced in a few weeks and I do not want to spend time/money cleaning the water - I'm really only concerned about leaks in the return lines or jets. I'm having the pool pressure tested, but I would rather deal with any underground plumbing issues prior to them starting. Liner is like swisscheese I have at least 200 patches on it. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.