Lawn Guy Put a Hole in my Pool

KBoy420

Jul 17, 2020
Eastern PA
Many of you may remember my troubles from last year, as seen is this post -

So you can imagine my frustration when the lawn guy sent me this picture:

20210413_144406.jpg

The cover is still on, and has a hole in it, so not to worried about the water on top of the cover putting excess weight on the sides.

What would you all do? Go in and patch liner? I cant even see how bad it is from the inside, and don't know how to patch a liner anyway. Flex tape it from the outside? Regular duct tape wouldn't work and then I just walked away livid at my lawn guy.

Think that hole in that location right by the vertical brace can even be fixed?

Anything I need to do immediately to salvage this before a professional can look at it?

Thanks all.

• Wow
Reactions: magiteck
You will need some strong tape to patch on the outside, but even then it will be temporary (the force of the water pushing out will nearly always win in the end.
A permanent patch will need to go on the inside. You can buy patch kits or use old liner and buy the correct glue (sorry I’m in the Uk so don’t have recommendations). Put a patch about 2” bigger than the hole and use rounded corners. Then put another patch on 2” bigger than the first.

I think you are just going to have to drain it.. the water is probably seeping into the space between the liner and the panels. As a temp fix.. you might be able to use something like this:
I was concerned about this. Even if I take the cover off right now and try to patch from inside, has damage already been down from water getting between the cover and wall? I'll figure out how to go in and oatch it tonight if that's the best course of action here. Not sure if my water is too green to even see. But then if I take the cover off and dont get chlorine and the pump going (still in the shed) the water will definitely get green, quick. What's the consensus here guys and gals? What would you be doing as soon as work is done?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wonder if that was part of the problem - meaning wall weakened, so easily punched through?
I'm sure it was part of the problem. Mower operator also could have pointed his discharge away from the pool. Oh well.

What I decided to do is go in with a hammer, bang on the spot where the metal sliver is protruding into the pool. Get that as smooth as possible and patch. Might not be the 100% correct way, but I feel it will be adequate. This was a short term solution during covid to get a 30 year old pool open. I barely lost an inch in 20 hours so it's a very small hole.

Shameless, Um, Plug (hehe) that Guzzy is self employed and for hire until you get it all fixed. 3AC114FA-DB05-4029-A0CB-90B30C027589.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: mguzzy
Years ago my wife put a 3 ft deep intex inflatable pool in the backyard. I put a weed wacker clean through the hose to the pump. I proceeded to lift both ends to keep it from draining and then stood there for 5 minutes arms up wondering what my next move was. I then dropped the hoses in defeat and let the yard flood.

I know that story isn’t helpful and probably doesn’t make you feel any better but it made me laugh to remember it 😁

I know that story isn’t helpful and probably doesn’t make you feel any better but it made me laugh to remember it 😁
Wasn't that cathartic? I think we have all done something like that at one point or another. I know how you feel...

I was under the car changing the oil... Thought I had everything ready.. I loosened the oil pan bolt so it was just ready to come off.. and then I was going to slide the oil pan under.. but the bolt popped off and rolled away.. so I slapped my hand over the gushing oil.. and the pan was just out of reach. I started to scream, hoping someone in the house would hear my pleas .... alas the TV was too loud or something. I laid there for like 10 minutes in a puddle of oil.. and then I just let it go to reach for the pan..... what a mess...

There I feel better now too! ;)

Last edited:
Ok guys so the patch has held for several days, and in those 3 days, we went to a dark green mess. Cant even see the bottom any more.

My water level is still a foot below the skimmer box and with well water, I can't handle filling quickly. Truck delivering around 5000 gal Wednesday.

So I'll get the pump hooked up before the delivery, but that water will still not be see-through. My thought was to fill to the brim, then vacuum really well while discharging to waste, until water level around mid skimmer. Then just SLAM and run pump until water clears up?

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.