Late to the Party, New Build in Progress in NC

mbnc1

Apr 1, 2020
Advance, NC
Hi! Just stumbled across this site the other day! Came in a little late to make changes to our plan as the gunite just went in on Wednesday and rock work starts Monday but I figured I would fish for some opinions anyway as well as share our experience through the quote process.

First was the quote process, we started shopping for a PB in mid-September last year. We live in a town just outside of Winston-Salem in NC called Advance. Both me and my wife grew up with PebbleTech pools so we knew we wanted that finish for our own. Let me tell you it is incredibly hard to find a builder that will install a PebbleTech (or any plaster/pebble finish) in this area. All of the local builders either want to do Fiberglass or Vinyl. I ended up finding one builder that would install Wet Edge in Winston, three that would do PebbleTech in the Greensboro area, and multiple PebbleTech builders in the Charlotte area. In an effort to do complete due diligence I ended up calling about 14 different PB's. It was incredibly difficult to get anyone to call back. In the end, our house was too far away for three PB's to travel to, two were already booked completely until August of this year, five wouldn't even return my call (after trying two times each), and four ended up calling back and came out to look at our project. Out of those four only two ended up finding the time to actually give us a quote. The first quote we got back came in right around an outrageous $240k and we weren't in love with the design, discouraging us and almost causing us to scrap the project entirely. The second quote though came in just a bit over our budget and the design couldn't have been a more perfect representation of the vision we had in our heads. The company (one of the Charlotte, NC based PB's) was very responsive and made some quick changes to get us right within our budget ($150k). I very highly recommend the designer we worked with.

After the long drawn out quote process and design revisions we ended up signing the contract for the build the week before Christmas (12/21 or 12/22 I think), with the plan to start within a month. Anybody in the Southeast knows all of January and half of February was pretty much a monsoon with non stop rain. We finally met back up with the PB on 2/21 to mark out the pool and approve the final layout. Once that was done the dig was scheduled for 3/12. The dig went really quick, however even though our utilities were marked, they managed to take out our power and cable, that was a but frustrating. Rebar and stub out went in the 16th and then we had to wait a few days for a county inspection. After the inspection they went pretty silent on us which was again frustrating, especially we have been making payments since the contract was signed in December and we are anxious to be swimming at the start of summer, especially since it looks like we will still be on somewhat of a lockdown well into the summer. After multiple calls the gunite shoot was finally done on 4/1. They told me it will start moving quicker now, and rock work and plumbing starts Monday, but we will see. Although the PB was amazing through the design and contract process, once we got handed off to the Superintendent they have not been the most proactive in communication, and it feels like nothing gets done until I ask multiple times about it. Hoping that trend does not continue.

Below are the specs of our build and some pics are attached.

• Pool Size ~ 19’ x 38’
  • Shape ~Free Form
  • Depth ~ 3’-6” to 6’
  • Plans ~ Full set of prints
  • Permits ~ All required by Davie county
  • Excavation ~ Excess dirt to be [Spread on/ Left on] property
  • Frame ~ Rebar all steel with 12” bond beam (Transferrable Lifetime Warranty)
  • Shell ~ 100% Gunite (Transferrable Lifetime Warranty)
  • Steps ~ One (1) set of 2 oversized custom steps
  • Tanning Ledge ~ One (1) Large custom tanning ledge w/ Umbrella Sleeve. (1) Ledge for 30” stone table area. 3’-6” of water depth.
  • Main Drains ~ main drains with Anti-vortex covers for child safety
  • Skimmer ~ (2) largemouth cover with removable basket
  • Returns ~ 2” plumbing lines with four (4) returns
  • Coping ~ Flagstone Chiseled Edge
  • Deck ~ 1,347 Sq. Ft. of Broom finish concrete with 40 ln. ft. of decco drain
  • Tile ~ One row 6” frost-proof waterline (Choice of standard colors)
  • Pump ~ Jandy 2.7 HP Variable Speed pump and a Booster Pump for Grotto Water Feature
  • Filter ~ Jandy Large Cartridge Filter
  • Pool Light ~ 3 Color LED
  • Freeze Control ~ Sensor built into system
  • Timer ~ 24-hour automatic time clock
  • Electrical Run ~ Up to 80’ included
  • Gas Run ~ Up to 50’ included
  • Chemicals ~ Chlorinator
  • Interior Finish ~ Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec
  • Startup ~ Balance ALL chemicals
  • Pool Cleaner ~ Robotic Pool Cleaner
  • Instructions on ALL equipment
  • Complete jobsite cleanup
  • 1 Swim-up Grotto with Bench
  • 1 Bench for Pool Table Area
  • 31 L. Ft. of Stone Kitchen area with 13 ln. ft. of bar random flagstone countertops. Ledge for Egg grill. 3 electric plugs. Natural Gas line for grill with hook-ups. 2 Umbrella sleeves in flagstone countertops.
  • Buyer to purchase all grills, drawers, cabinets, and sink. Superior pools to install them.
  • Spa ~ 7’0” radius interior spa, raised 18” above pool level
  • Exterior ~ 9’0” radius w/ Stone Veneer
  • Jets ~ Six (6) Therapy Jets
  • Blower ~ 2 Horsepower Blower
  • Automation ~ Jandy Control System – i-Aqualink
  • Heater ~ 400,000 BTU Gas Heater (Natural)
  • Light ~ 1 LED Color light

• Lifetime Transferrable Structural Warranty (PB)
  • Lifetime Warranty on Pump Housing & 3 Year Motor (Jandy)
  • Lifetime Filter Cartridge Housing Warranty (Jandy)
  • Lifetime Valves Warranty ~ Leaking, Breaking, & Pressure Loss (Jandy)
  • Lifetime Interior Finish Warranty (PebbleTec®)

Attachments

• Drawings.pdf
    251.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Rendering 1.jpg
    Rendering 1.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Rendering 2.jpg
    Rendering 2.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Rendering 3.jpg
    Rendering 3.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    943.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8482.jpg
    IMG_8482.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8741.jpg
    IMG_8741.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: ivparker and jtburf
Welcome to TFP.

@bdavis466 does this rebar spacing look light

How do you intend to chlorinate your pool?

These may help you ...

Thanks for this. We are going with standard chlorine.

LOVE your design! Something for everyone!

Do you have the equipment yet?

What will you use for the table top?

Here are some links I share with new pool owners. The first set is how to get the best plaster job possible. The second set is how to care for your pool when they hand it over to you!

The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

LOVE your design! Something for everyone!

Do you have the equipment yet?

What will you use for the table top?

Here are some links I share with new pool owners. The first set is how to get the best plaster job possible. The second set is how to care for your pool when they hand it over to you!

The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Thanks! We really love the design too! The equipment goes in next week so they say. The table top will be flagstone. Thanks for these links, I definitely have some reading to do. I’ll be sure and ask about the test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great looking equipment pad. Good spacing between pipes and equipment. You had a plumber who knew what he was doing.

Been a while since I’ve posted, but that’s because hardly anything has been done. Very frustrated at my PB at this point as they are not communicating and they seem to have put me behind everyone else in line even though I signed in December. Any tips or tricks to getting them to get the job done? I have multiple calls into the owner with no luck, and neither of my two supers will return my messages and the office lady will not get back to my wife either. Below is the time line of my build so far.

As well as a pretty picture of my mess of a back yard with a rainbow!

Pool Timeline

12/22 Contract signed and deposit paid

Dig to take place within 4 weeks

Total project to take 10-12 weeks from layout date

12/29 received HOA approval, informed Tim.

12/22-1/26 no communication

1/26 Selections made

1/26-2/21 no communication

2/21 Layout

Told dig would be within a couple days

2/21-3/1 no communication until I pressed PB to find out when the next payment was due

3/11 first dig date and payment #2 made, pushed to 3/12 because of issues at previous dig

3/12 pool dug, crew hit power and cable lines, tried to re-bury power lines and not let anyone know until confronted by electrician

3/16 steel and plumbing stub out done, was told Gunite would come next week

3/16-3/27 no communication/no work

3/27 was told Gunite on Monday 3/30

3/30 No Gunite, first told we were scheduled to be the second shoot of the day, then told the truck broke down

4/1 Gunite shows up and payment #3 made, first time Jon is on site for a couple hours. After Gunite Jon was supposed to call and follow up, never received call

PB said waterfall would start the following week and tile/coping the week after that.

4/6 waterfall work starts, told they would be all week. Great communication from Sub. and followed schedule.

4/9 truck of stone shows up without communication, dropped off in back yard

4/14 Nobody on site reached out to John to find out what was next and was told he would have to check the schedule and would call back

PB texted at 6pm advising tile and coping would not start until Friday 4/17

4/13-4/17- No Work

4/22 Tile and coping complete

4/23 Asked what was next and was told plumbing would start next week

4/22-4/29 Plumbing not started, no work, no communication

5/4 Plumbing Started

5/7 Plumbing Finished. No communication on what’s next

5/11 Plumbing inspection passed

5/14 Plumbing covered up and bond wire ran

Deck layout scheduled for 5/18

5/18 Bond wire inspected and deck layout done

Was told gas and electrical would be done this week even though bad weather was forecasted and that work could be done in the weather

Was informed that we are about two weeks behind schedule partly due to the other jobs happening

I requested that finishing the pool take priority and that the kitchen and fire pit could be built after the pool was plastered or during

5/19-5/27 no work completed

6/1 Gas Line Ran

6/2 Stone and Tile masons showed up, didnt have right stuff, left.

Plaster was originally scheduled for 6/1…New date TBD

Attachments

• A3032635-F7A6-4E6F-ABA1-B0F94785DA99.jpeg
    A3032635-F7A6-4E6F-ABA1-B0F94785DA99.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 33
Do a sit in at the office? Bring yummies to share with everyone there and sit down in a fold out chair you bring with you. When they ask what you are doing tell them waiting to talk to the owner of the company to find out when your plaster and decking (in that order) will be done so you can at least use your pool that was started in Dec with the signing of the papers.

Do you have the equipment installed yet? If not then you do NOT want the plaster done yet. You HAVE to have the equipment up and running before the plaster is done.

Do a sit in at the office? Bring yummies to share with everyone there and sit down in a fold out chair you bring with you. When they ask what you are doing tell them waiting to talk to the owner of the company to find out when your plaster and decking (in that order) will be done so you can at least use your pool that was started in Dec with the signing of the papers.

Do you have the equipment installed yet? If not then you do NOT want the plaster done yet. You HAVE to have the equipment up and running before the plaster is done.
That sounds like a good idea, another round of calls, texts and emails went ignored today.
The equipment plumbing and gas is in but no electrical has been done yet.

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats
Well I was about a day away from doing the sit in Kim suggested, even had my lawn chair and snacks loaded up in the car ready to go. I decided to take the route of the BBB first though, and as soon as I filed a formal complaint with them I got immediate attention from the owner. Progress has been made almost daily since then and we may even make a July 4th open (it would be a photo finish though)!

The owner didn’t really have any good explanation as to what the hold up was, in fact he tried blaming us for a couple times, but when pressed he confessed that the project supervisor dropped the ball on us multiple times. After an hour long harsh phone call he made the trip up to inspect the project himself and I think realized why we were so frustrated. When we spoke on the phone he was not willing to try to make it right at all he just wanted to deliver my pool and wash his hands of me, but after he came up not only has he gotten his crews shifted into high gear, but has upgraded my deck from concrete to pavers, but also my finish from regular pebble to mini pebble.

I think it has just been a case of taking on too many projects at once and the supervisors are in over their heads. In the last couple weeks our PB has gotten multiple similar complaints on google and social media.

Since my last update the things that have been done include
-Electrical
-Kitchen has been built and ready for appliances after the deck
-The job site was cleaned up
-Rough grade done
-Decking started
-The pool has been cleaned and prepped for plaster
-Grotto was finished

Attachments

• 33A4F542-E520-46D9-8F44-213439B25F7E.jpeg
    33A4F542-E520-46D9-8F44-213439B25F7E.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 5390ABF8-136F-4C33-BA30-49ACB7E618CE.jpeg
    5390ABF8-136F-4C33-BA30-49ACB7E618CE.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 4E413DB1-3642-48A4-91DE-C6B386F25338.jpeg
    4E413DB1-3642-48A4-91DE-C6B386F25338.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 81
  • FC0AB84C-DCF6-4F9A-B5A6-31653606BE31.jpeg
    FC0AB84C-DCF6-4F9A-B5A6-31653606BE31.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 98592BCF-2435-45D7-8CF3-A8A6E7CB86E4.jpeg
    98592BCF-2435-45D7-8CF3-A8A6E7CB86E4.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 89
  • E34066BC-B2B2-4EA8-AC2B-51CBABE7FCF7.jpeg
    E34066BC-B2B2-4EA8-AC2B-51CBABE7FCF7.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 8CB29E61-67BF-4539-9977-F590906254E8.jpeg
    8CB29E61-67BF-4539-9977-F590906254E8.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 82
Sure got his attention huh??? Well done! It is a shame it took that but...............they forced your hand by being greedy and taking on too many jobs! He really needs to know his limits and not exceed them! Here is hoping it keeps moving forward and you do get to enjoy your pool next weekend!

I like the way the kitchen area isn't smack up against the house. No smoke and fumes from cooking invading the house or staining the exterior walls.

Your pool would be ideal for a chlorine generator (salt). No puck problems with them.

Maddie

I like the way the kitchen area isn't smack up against the house. No smoke and fumes from cooking invading the house or staining the exterior walls.

Your pool would be ideal for a chlorine generator (salt). No puck problems with them.

Maddie
Yes, that was one of the reasons we did it that way, the other was so that the grill master could still watch over the pool while grilling.

funny you mention the SWCG. We were originally going to do liquid chlorine or pucks, but as the plumbers were installing the equipment they went ahead and put in an AquaPure 1400. When I asked them about it they said, oh yeah, you’re right, do you want us to take it out or do you want to keep it no charge. After reading these forums I very enthusiastically said we’d keep it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.