ktdave's pool build

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
TheOne said:
ktdave are you using Castlerock pools out of Katy?
The name of the company we chose is Sunset Pools. They came highly recommended by some friends of ours. Adam Traugott, the owner, is the son of the owner of Laguna Pools (FYI).

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Day 2: Sunday, no work.

Day 3: steel and plumbing

Near end is shallow end with beach entry w/geyser (bubbler). You can see the returns (6 total) stubbed out in the walls, main drain in deep end and one of two skimmers on right wall.

View from deep end.

Another view from other side of deep end with a couple of my "best friends" checking out this foreign object in "their" back yard.

We are scheduled for gunite first thing in the morning. Rain is in the forecast, so Idon't know if we'll have a delay or not. We'll see.

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Still Day 3: The gunite crew came by last night and sprayed a flash coat over the entire surface to hold it together during the imminent thunderstorm.

Day 4: The gunite crew shows up at 6:30 am but it's raining like crazy. They actually waited out the storm till 9:30 the rain stops. Thay start pumping the rainwater out of the pool, and soon they'll be shooting gunite. Yippeee!

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Still Day 4 (last Tuesday):
Here are some pics of the completed gunite.

Next will be gunite clean-up then equipment install while the gunite cures for 7 to 10 days.

rogerbrks

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Your pool is coming along nicely. Is your PB able to do anything today? I'm looking at the radar and it looks as if the Houston area is getting rain. maybe tomorrow?

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
No Roger, the only thing that happened today was the equipment got dropped off, although no rain today, it's actually been pretty sunny here. The thing holding everything up now is that the gunite clean-up crew is really backed up, hopefully they and the equipment installers will be here tomorrow. I'm gonna have to go snooping into those equipment boxes and check out that stuff.

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Day 26 (Thursday, yesterday): Finally, after almost 2 weeks of nothing, they started putting in the tile. They should finish the tile today and start on coping (flagstone - Tennesse Crab Orchard, if that means anything to anyone). I am just glad to see some progress after an agonizing period of nothingness. I will be so glad just to get my back yard back so I don't have to keep walking the dogs in the front yard on a leash everytime it rains cause of the muddy mess in the back! I will take some pictures of the tile and coping and post them soon.

TheOne

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Houston, TX
We have nearly the exact same equipment. You will be happy with your equip choices. When you get ready to adjust your Intelliflo RPM I can post info about what speed I am using. My pool is about the same size. Did you end up getting the easytouch or intellitouch control system?

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
That's good to know Roger, Thanks. I am not getting any automated controls since I don't have a spa and the only water feature is a geyser in the beach entry.

Dave

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Day 28: In the middle of tile and coping (due to rain/thunderstorms). Here's a couple of shots of the choices we made.

Whoever's in charge of that "go away" rain dance, I'll take a couple orders of that!

rogerbrks

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Ktdave,

The pool is looking good. I love the colors of the tile with the coping. Sorry about all the rain. You'll love it as you'll need it to have the grass regrow

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
Thanks Roger,

I just looked at the weather online and looks like we may have some good weather for a few days! by the way, your pool is awesome! I bet you are enjoying the heck out of it!

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
good to see some progress for you, dave.

Nice selections too. Good choice of tile to pull the water and the coping together.

Good bit of rain over this way too... but not enough to cause the delay we're enduring...

hope your progress results in some momemtum for you!!

Enjoy!