Just opened my dark green swamp pool!

spoiledpuppies

May 23, 2021
Swedesboro, NJ
I closed a perfect pool (20,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl liner) complete with a floater full of chlorine and a winter pill, and I took the cover off to find a swamp. NJ was pretty warm this winter, so that might not have helped, plus my cover is mesh so lets in sunlight. This is my 2nd year as a pool owner, and I am floundering at the moment. I scrubbed the sides and sent my vacuum down, made sure the chemistry was right, and am filtering nonstop. I then shocked the heck out of it. First with 4 bags of cal hypo per my local pool place, but did not get a chlorine read. Then I followed my neighbor's advice and used 10 gallons of liquid chlorine. Now the chlorine level is above 10 and the color is lighter green. Not too sure where to go from here. Just wait? The chemistry is good, but I did notice that over the past 4 days the CYA level went from 50 to 75 and I have no idea why and if that is hurting things by locking up the chlorine. I also was told by my pool place to add Algae Break 90 which is copper based, and I did not add because I'm afraid of staining my hair and liner. Also not sure if I should add a clarifier, or just give it another day or 2, add the Algae Break? I'm lost

I would only use liquid chlorine and not touch any pool store products. Ensure you're backwashing your filter as it will catch the dead algae after the chlorine kills it.

Don't be discouraged at the amount of time it takes. Trust the process. It is the most economical and trusted way to get your pool clear.

Hey Spoiled Puppies !!! I like you already !!!

There are no two ways about it. You need a reliable test kit and you need only what you need based upon said reliable results. The pool store exists to fleece you of your monies. The worse of a chemistry roller coaster they send you on, the better profits they make.

Get your own test kit and be done with it. See Test Kits Compared. You need a Taylor drop based kit, also no 2 ways about it. You can get the k-2006C from anywhere or the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. That one has been custom tailored for our way of testing. It has more of what you’ll need and less of what you don’t. So overall it lasts better without having to replace half of it more often.

With reliable test results we can guide you on the rest and you’ll be trouble free. Download the poolmath app for free and add 5PPM of chlorine daily until your kit arrives. It will stop the pool from getting worse while you wait. Read up on SLAM Process and we will help you every step of the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.