Just cancelled the pool guy! My wife had a minor freak out ha ha. First readings

Jan 7, 2017
Livermore, Ca
So I just cancelled my pool guy after pool build and initial start up--a little over a year with the new pool. Let me know if I'm missing anything in my signature. I'm a pool rookie. First readings with TF100 Pool testers:
FC 2
PH 8.2
CH 625
TA 80
CYA 25

Outside temp was 55 and pool temp was around 48.

Per Pool Math I put in 53 oz bleach (8.25%) and 25 oz muriatic acid

Will retest later to see what is up.

The only reason she had a minor freak out was that I cancelled him Jan 7 and between work travel and the test kit not coming before I left, I didn't test the water until Jan 28. She envisions the new pool turning into a swamp! We shall see!

Great site and resource. Cheers! Chris in Livermore

Hi, welcome to TFP! The TA is on the low side but does not need adjusting, it is unusual to see a high pH with a low TA. Re-test your pH since you have added MA. If it was 8.2 it may have been higher since that is where the test tops out. You may need to lower pH a couple of times to get it in the correct range. If you run your water features often the splashing will aerate the water and drive the pH up, so you will need to keep an eye on it.

Chris,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions... :lovetfp:

Good choice to do you own maintenance....

I do have a couple of questions for you.. your FC was 2 with a CYA of 25. At that CYA level your absolute lowest you ever want FC to be is 2 ppm. So, to make sure it never gets below 2 it is best to target an FC of about 6. In other words try to keep your FC level between 4 and 6, but at no time go below 2. What was your target level when you added 53 oz of bleach?

With your SWG your CYA level should be about 70, not a major issue, just some to keep in mind.

Good job on getting the pH down. What was your target level for pH?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Chris,

When you get back you might want to look at pool math again. There are two columns.. one where you enter your current reading and next to it is another column where you enter your "goal". What you want it to be.

You have to enter both values for it to work properly.

Jim R.

Chris,

Congrats on managing your own pool. It is important to learn why you are testing what you test and what the problems are if your test results are outside normal.

Don't count on PoolMath to manage your pool......it is nothing more than a calculator. You have to be the brains behind the calculator to keep your pool crystal clear. We'll help with every step.

I see in your sig that you have a SWCG. You may consider raising your CYA levels to the values here:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I know that with my Hayward Aqua-Rite, if I had a CYA of 25 my salt cell would be working overtime, and probably burn out quicker. I know the aqua-rite manual calls for the same CYA values listed in the pool school article above.

So I just cancelled my pool guy after pool build and initial start up--a little over a year with the new pool. Let me know if I'm missing anything in my signature. I'm a pool rookie. First readings with TF100 Pool testers:
FC 2
PH 8.2
CH 625
TA 80
CYA 25

Outside temp was 55 and pool temp was around 48.

Per Pool Math I put in 53 oz bleach (8.25%) and 25 oz muriatic acid

Will retest later to see what is up.

The only reason she had a minor freak out was that I cancelled him Jan 7 and between work travel and the test kit not coming before I left, I didn't test the water until Jan 28. She envisions the new pool turning into a swamp! We shall see!

Great site and resource. Cheers! Chris in Livermore

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.