Pool a bit cloudy past week; current TFE-100 readings posted in thread

armyofda12mnkeys

Jun 29, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
Hey all,
2nd time I've done the TFE-100 kit test. Hoping someone can help.
Pool has been a bit cloudy past week. My dad says its a 35k gallon pool.
I added a bag Clorox CYA stabilizer via the 'sock-placed-in-filter' method last week to raise my CYA.
We have had a bit of yellow-green algae in the pool a week and a half ago as well. I added a whole bottle of Liquid Chlorine (which got the FC level the next day around: 4.5, CC: 1, TC: 5.5).
You can see FC settled down to 2 below.

Here are my current readings:
PH: 7.2
FC: 2
CC: 0.5
TC: 2.5
Calcium: 350
Alkalinity: 110
CYA: ? 20 ? (i got to the top and it was getting pretty blurry but i could still make out the black dot at the bottom).

Not sure if it helps... Here is video of the pool and how cloudy it is and just showing our Triton II sand pump working I assume correctly (I wasn't sure the optimal PSI, but we do backwash it weekly):

Here is some general questions about CYA test to make sure I did it correctly:

Thanks!
Ari

added a whole bottle of Liquid Chlorine (which got the FC level the next day around: 4.5, CC: 1, TC: 5.5).
You can see FC settled down to 2 below.
Over how many days ? The pool looses 2 to 4 ppm, daily, and needs to be dosed as such.
CYA: ? 20 ? (i got to the top and it was getting pretty blurry but i could still make out the black dot at the bottom).
How much CYA did you add ? Was your target 30 ? Please explain the filter sock method. Did you put the sock in the skimmer ?

It sounds like you're in need of a SLAM Process.

A few things - after you backwash and the water is running clear, when you rinse and then turn back to filter, make note of your “clean” pressure. Backwash when your pressure rises by 25%. That may be in a few days, or in a couple of weeks. Your filter actually cleans better when it is a little dirty, so if you don’t need to backwash as frequently, you won’t need to replace water (and CYA) as often.

Use PoolMath to figure out how much chlorine you need to add daily to get to proper level for your CYA. Don’t target minimum, shoot for the high end of your target range or even a point or so higher. This will keep you from dropping below minimum and allowing algae to take hold.

Read SLAM Process carefully, and follow to clear your pool up, as recommended above. SLAM is not a one time and done, but a process that will take a few days at best, but it will get your pool sparkling clear if you follow the directions.

We are here to help, so continue to post your questions and your progress here!

Reactions: Newdude
Over how many days ? The pool looses 2 to 4 ppm, daily, and needs to be dosed as such.

How much CYA did you add ? Was your target 30 ? Please explain the filter sock method. Did you put the sock in the skimmer ?

It sounds like you're in need of a SLAM Process.

I added the full 4lb Clorox Stabilizer small white granules to 2 large socks in the skimmer. I then came to the skimmer every 2-4hrs and squeezed the sock all around to get the mushy stuff to leave the sock. It took about 24-36hrs to get it all out. I did this squeeze process 60% of the time directly with the socks in the skimmer basket, and maybe 40% right in front of the skimmer area as it was easier to do there since I have a skimmer basket 'lifter' in the middle of the basket and it was hard to do directly on the sides of the skimmer basket with that thing in the middle:
81tl9kkN1zL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
Anyway i could see most of the CYA would just get sucked into the skimmer if i did it in front of that area.
My target was 30, as my dad never puts CYA in the pool and wanted to get it up to a reasonable level. Im guessing we get most our CYA from the 2 chlorine pucks in the plastic pool floaty.

A few things - after you backwash and the water is running clear, when you rinse and then turn back to filter, make note of your “clean” pressure. Backwash when your pressure rises by 25%. That may be in a few days, or in a couple of weeks. Your filter actually cleans better when it is a little dirty, so if you don’t need to backwash as frequently, you won’t need to replace water (and CYA) as often.

Use PoolMath to figure out how much chlorine you need to add daily to get to proper level for your CYA. Don’t target minimum, shoot for the high end of your target range or even a point or so higher. This will keep you from dropping below minimum and allowing algae to take hold.

Read SLAM Process carefully, and follow to clear your pool up, as recommended above. SLAM is not a one time and done, but a process that will take a few days at best, but it will get your pool sparkling clear if you follow the directions.

We are here to help, so continue to post your questions and your progress here!
okay ill keep an eye on the pressure after a backwash process. I'll go SLAM it tonight.
I'm going to assume my CYA is still low at 20 maybe since Im not sure its even at 30.
The CYA chart says for CYA 20 my SLAM level should be 10... does that mean i need to raise my FC to 10?
But in PoolMath if I say my Current FC is 2 and in the textbox to the right of that I say want to raise to Slam Target FC to 10
It then says "your target is outside the recommended range", so not sure how PoolMath works with that CYA/FC/SLAM chart here:

The SLAM Process recommends a starting CYA of 30.
Raise your CYA by 10.
SLAM at FC 12.

A CYA of less than 30 will allow UV to burn the chlorine off quicker.

Sometimes PoolMath will show FC out of range when doing a SLAM.
Remember, PoolMath is just a tool. It's recommendations are based on normal dosing, not a SLAM.

Reactions: Newdude
I did this squeeze process 60% of the time directly with the socks in the skimmer basket, and maybe 40% right in front of the skimmer area
Ok. For future reference, when added to the skimmer, the CYA can take a week or more to dissolve once it's trapped in the filter. But it's been a week and a half so it's likely done now.

Never leave it unattended in the skimmer. If the pump shuts off overnight (etc) the acid can destroy thr skimmer and/or plumbing. We've seen both melted before.

4 lbs of CYA only added 14 or so, and trying to read 20 or less origonally is sketchy at best. It's not uncommon to need another small dose, but good on you for not just dumping 30 in off the bat.

Get another 10 going and you can count it as soon as its hanging. Lower the PH to a low 7 and SLAM on.

Ok. For future reference, when added to the skimmer, the CYA can take a week or more to dissolve once it's trapped in the filter. But it's been a week and a half so it's likely done now.

Never leave it unattended in the skimmer. If the pump shuts off overnight (etc) the acid can destroy thr skimmer and/or plumbing. We've seen both melted before.

4 lbs of CYA only added 14 or so, and trying to read 20 or less origonally is sketchy at best. It's not uncommon to need another small dose, but good on you for not just dumping 30 in off the bat.

Get another 10 going and you can count it as soon as its hanging. Lower the PH to a low 7 and SLAM on.
Would it take a week even with the sock method? I thought only had to wait if you directly add the stabilizer granules directly into the skimmer (while its on, and hence those granules get sucked in and stuck in the sand filter to decompose over a week).
But I thought if you squeeze the sock over 24hrs, then maybe just have to wait a day or 2 before measuring CYA again as all the granules have become liquid form when they leave the sock's pores.

Last edited:
Would it take a week even with the sock method? I thought the 1.5 week thing was only if you directly add the stabilizer granules directly into the skimmer (while its on).
Think of that cloud you had when squeezing
It really wasn't dissolved, It was a bazillion small particles that the filter is designed to suck up, where it likely clumped right back up. So yeah. Next time just leave it hanging in front of a return. It can wait until tomorrow 9 times out of 10. With enough time it squeezes right out. It takes longer with cool water in the early/late season. Mid season it poofs out in 15 mins.

I thought once you squeeze all that from the sock over 24hrs, then maybe just have to wait a day or 2 before measuring CYA again
Yes. When the cloud is in the shallow end. Yours mostly went into the skimmer. Either way, at 1.5 weeks it's likely done now. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.