Just an intro

daheimes

Jan 23, 2021
Omaha, NE
I’m fairly new to pools. Bought a house in Nebraska 2 seasons ago that had an existing 20k gal in-ground vinyl liner pool. I’ve done okay with the chemicals so far. I have done a ton a research so far, but still have a lot to learn. I have opened and closed my pool both seasons. The heater was pretty old and finally needed to be replaced, so I’m taking the opportunity to re-do all of my equipment. I’m upgrading to a variable speed pump and switching from a sand filter to a cartridge filter and switching from a normal chlorine pool to a salt water pool and of course replacing the heater with one that has the cupro-nickel heat exchanger. I’m going to install a basic pool automation system that controls the heater, pump, and SWG. I’m trying to do all of the work myself so that it forces me to learn as much as I can. My only water feature is a pool slide. I would like to get to the point where I could be gone for a week and not come back to a green pool. So far I feel like a bit of a slave to the pool, although it seems to be worth it most of the time.

Hey d, welcome to TFP, glad you found us.

Your goal is totally doable. I do that regularly, and I've yet to push it but I expect I could go two weeks no problem, maybe more.

If you care to, you can post your equipment list and we'll completely rip it apart gladly review it and offer suggestions for improvement if there are any. ;)

Seriously, though... I blazed through a bunch of improvements before I found this group, and regret a few choices, one in particular that is too expensive to replace, so I have to live with it. Grrrr. Easily avoided had I had TFP to lean on. So post up brands and model numbers, if you dare, and maybe we can help you out.

Either way, stick around and explore what we teach here. It's absolutely the best and most cost effective method of pool care. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you'll see there are almost a quarter million of us that think so...

d,

Welcome aboard! And boy have you come to the right place. TFP has experts and very experienced pool owners here to advise on anything related to a pool. We also do not sell anything at all. This way any advice you get is as straight up as you can get. One thing that will help you is to create your signature. It helps our volunteers be more efficient with their time and gets you answers quicker. Here's how to do it.

If you haven't already done so I'd get your test kit on order. It's a necessary item for TFP Test Kits Compared.

So what are you thinking about for automation?

Chris

I have one of the Taylor test kits. Works pretty well.

Equipment that I am going with:
Pentair IntelliFlo VSF
Pentair CPP 420
Pentair Mastertemp 400 HD
Pentair IntelliChlor IC40
Pentair IntelliConnect
Jandy NeverLube Valves
Jandy Checkvalve
Going to use all CPVC 2” plumbing (I know its overkill to use CPVC)

I have to upgrade my gas line from the meter. The meter has plenty capacity.
I have an electrical contractor coming out to run the 220. Everything was 110 before.

I”m going to arrange my equipment on the pad so that there is room to add IntelliChem or IntelliPH, but I want to wait until I get the pool running for a while before deciding how much of a need that is.

I realize this is a lot of overkill for a 20k gallon pool. But I want to error on the side of reliability, lower maintenance, and the ability to monitor / control remotely. I keep the pool open from 4/1 - 10/31. In the cooler months, I leave the temp a little colder and then turn it up when it looks like a nice day is in the forecast. So I like having a larger heater to be able to increase the temp in less time.

Overkill. That's my middle name. And my last name. Dirk Overkill Overkill! I always overthink. I always overbuild: rarely needed, never regretted.

Your list looks great. Except I don't know much about the IntelliConnect. It's pretty limited, but if you're sure it's all you'll need, then that's all you'll need. Others here may know more about it... The owner manual is a good resource to determine it's capabilities. But do try to think ahead about what you might someday add to your system, that might orphan the IntelliConnect. Does it support control by remotes, or apps or computer? I would miss those.

I have the low-end EasyTouch, and that's my regret. I've found that I could use more schedules. I don't need any more relays, as I haven't even used the ones I've got, but schedules is what I'm lacking. I could use schedules for:
- filter run
- vac run
- two high-speed skimmer runs
- pool light egg timer
- high-speed skimmer egg timer
- vac egg timer
- heater runtime
- heater egg timer
- SWG runtime
- winter acid injection

and probably a few other. With my model of ET, I can only have four of those. :(

Yah, the 2006 is what you want, or the 2006C. Just double checking, the 2005 and 2001 are lacking.

Can't really go wrong with that plan! If you ever do upgrade, stay away from any EasyTouch with an "L" in its model number. IntelliCenter seems to be all the rage these days... Maybe the next great thing will be ready if and when you are.

Unless they've changed it, your list, if purchased by a pro, at the same time on the same invoice, would grant you Pentair's upgraded 3-year warranty for everything. Your DIYing will negate that, down to 60 days I believe. Their definition of a "pro" and "pro install" leaves a little to the imagination. Have a read through their warranty webpage. Just pointing this out in case there is some way for you to take advantage...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased all of the equipment online for about 60% of what the dealers were going to charge me. I’m not counting on any warranty at all. Even if everything failed, I could buy replacements and still be close to what the dealer would charge me for parts alone. It’s good equipment, so if I take care of it properly, it should easily last 3 years.

I purchased all of the equipment online for about 60% of what the dealers were going to charge me. I’m not counting on any warranty at all. Even if everything failed, I could buy replacements and still be close to what the dealer would charge me for parts alone. It’s good equipment, so if I take care of it properly, it should easily last 3 years.
I need to buy equipment. Could you please let me know where? Thanks!

Df,

What equipment are you looking for? And are you looking to install yourself or have it installed by a dealer? You may want to start a thread of your own.

Chris