Just a little introduction

PrettySickOfPools

Jul 19, 2022
New Jersey
Guess who’s frustrated with their pool?!? A little about my situation: Moved to a new house with a pool and zero experience. Anticipated the company that does opening and closing would explain a few things, but no. Moronically paid for “pool school” to learn as much as possible, huge waste of money. That guy was literally, LITERALLY, driving away as I rattled off questions as fast as I could remember them. Got duped into thinking the local pool store had my best interest in mind and was sold plenty of useless chemicals. I hear the phrase “yeah, you’re gonna have to run tabs” in my nightmares. Finally managed to get the chemistry balanced 3 weeks after opening, dumb luck I presume. All seemed well for a few weeks there, but now I can’t seem to keep any chlorine in the mix. Brought a water sample in, got a pile of info on high phosphates with a list of instructions for cleaning the filter cartridges twice over. Figured I needed a better way and found this site by recommendation. Finally ordered my own test kit and hope to get this thing right for the final month of summer. Good grief, I needed a rant. Hours of fun and relaxation indeed! Now I plan to read up on low chlorine levels and if phosphates actually “eat” chlorine as I was told.

Reactions: TampaKathy
Reactions: PrettySickOfPools
Hey PSOP and Welcome !!!!

The overwhelming majority of folks came here in your shoes. None of us forgot how bad it sucked. We will consider it an honor to make it suck less for you. :)

Welcome! Sorry that your experience has been rough so far and sorry that help has not actually been helpful. You are in the right place for help now. Amazing amount of info with very helpful people. It is A LOT to take in & understand. Take it slow, a piece at a time, and it becomes easier. May you come to love enjoying your pool.

Yep, I found TFP years ago when I couldn't keep ANY chlorine in it. I got so frustrated and just started
dumping bags of "shock" into it and my only reward was a green, algae coated pool. The stuff came
off the walls in drifts. 🤢

Several important steps to get out of this mess. A recommended test kit is the key. Test Kits Compared
Knowing that CYA (cyanuric acid) that is in your pucks and powdered shock builds and builds until the
chlorine is basically overwhelmed and can't do it’s job. It's easy to learn how to manage your pool. We
all came here with similar problems and many of us have stayed around to help others, like you!

The advice you'll get here is based solely on the results from your testing. We do not trust pool stores results
and you've already figured out they just throw something at the wall and if that doesn't work…..well,
here's another magic potion. You'll be amazed at the simplicity of TFP. You use basic chems (liquid chlorine - aka bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda) available at big box stores and how easy it all is on your budget.

Your biggest, and best expense is the test kit. We trust your testing above all. There are very, very smart
people here who will walk you through any questions you have! We're glad you're here. Your first step
to a gorgeous pool!

If you stick around and adopt the TFP methods, you're gonna have to change your account name. Once your pool is in balance, it literally takes less than an hour a week to maintain the pool. First point of advice is to get the proper test kit, I love the TF100. Second, stay out of the pool store. All they want to do is sell you things you probably don't need. Things you'll need are found at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and the grocery store, for way less than the prices at the pool store.

I'm thinking in a month or so to change your name to "PrettyAwesomePool"

Reactions: Newdude
I have absolutely no idea on earth what the phosphate measurement is in my cryyyyysssssstal clear TF pool. None. Zip zilch zero nada. In fact, I hope it’s 999,999 ppm. I hope algae looks at my pool drooooooling over all the algae food in there and bangs it’s head against the wall trying to figure out how it can get in there with 7-11 ppm FC. Buuuwwaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!

I had a similar experience, bought a house w pool 10 years ago and knew nothing about pools. Hired a guy to open it and teach me some things. He completely drained it for no good reason which I found out was a huge risk for vinyl pools, connected the old rusted out (non- working) pump and filter that was left behind, tossed in a garden hose, turned on the spigot, said it'll probably be full in 3-4 days, go buy an opening kit from pool store and put it in, that'll be $1500. And was gone. A few weeks later I found this place.

Funny on the account name... not sure she posts anymore but there was once a "Frustratedpoolmom" who came here and got so proficient she ended up starting her own pool maintenence company based on tfp methods.

You name will be a great reminder of your roots and how you felt when you found us when you are posting pics of your amazingly clear pool in the TFP clear thread. ✨

Hopefully you ordered one of the recommended test kits?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.