Jets on sidewall above waterline

Roox911

Aug 20, 2022
Florida
Moved to a new house with an older fiberglass inground pool. Has 4 return jets total - two on the right side (one in the shallow, one in the deep) both under water

But then on the left wall, it has two jets, both in the middle of the pool, sitting about 2” above the water line. And 3” below the deck.

Currently there are some 1” eyeballs in them, but it makes a heck of a racquet and practically turns the surface water into a stormy sea.

Any ideas on what sort of jet I should put in these? I’ve never had a pool with jets above the water line

Attachments

• 0CACFF07-AD5C-4C63-9B98-EF4CDFBF06F6.jpeg
    0CACFF07-AD5C-4C63-9B98-EF4CDFBF06F6.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to TFP.
Can you control these “above waterline jets” independent of your normal pool returns?

Post a picture of your equipment pad, showing the suction lines going to the pump and the return plumbing going back to the pool.

Welcome to TFP.
Can you control these “above waterline jets” independent of your normal pool returns?

Post a picture of your equipment pad, showing the suction lines going to the pump and the return plumbing going back to the pool.
Attached a pic. I tried the valve marked return jets/fan spray. It Didn’t actually change anything though (both the wall jet’s and return jets both kept pumping water)

Attachments

• 7CE06F67-F4E8-4E44-AA36-D436BB09CAC8.jpeg
    7CE06F67-F4E8-4E44-AA36-D436BB09CAC8.jpeg
    923.8 KB · Views: 35
R,

I suspect that at one time there were returns that sprayed the water in a fan shape for cooling.

Until you can find the right returns, I suggest that you just shut the "Fan sprays" off. If you point the handle of your valve so that it points right at the "Return Jets" label, that should shut off the fan jets.

If it does not shut off the fan jets, then either your valve is broken, or someone has done some underground re-plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, gonna guess it’s either a broken valve or replumbed then, as it doesn’t appear to do anything.

Any idea where I might find a fan return? Or what would look/work best?
R,

I suspect that at one time there were returns that sprayed the water in a fan shape for cooling.

Until you can find the right returns, I suggest that you just shut the "Fan sprays" off. If you point the handle of your valve so that it points right at the "Return Jets" label, that should shut off the fan jets.

If it does not shut off the fan jets, then either your valve is broken, or someone has done some underground re-plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

No idea.. I only took a quick look and did not see anything. It would be simple to make something though.

If this were my pool, I'd take the top off the valve and see what is up with it first.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Definitely this….looks like someone has been into this valve before as the top is on backwards….

A958D1E0-111D-4D26-935D-BAE027F548A0.jpeg

Thanks Jim, gonna guess it’s either a broken valve or replumbed then, as it doesn’t appear to do anything.

Any idea where I might find a fan return? Or what would look/work best?
That is a good catch by @Lake Placid that the valve top is 180 degrees out of rotation. The word INLET should be on the incoming pipe from the heater/filter.
You can rebuild that valve easily

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a good catch by @Lake Placid that the valve top is 180 degrees out of rotation. The word INLET should be on the incoming pipe from the heater/filter.
You can rebuild that valve easily
The position of the label makes no difference as to the function of the valve.

Many installers don’t pay any attention to the label position.

The position of the label makes no difference as to the function of the valve.
The position of the label does have one effect. There is a stop built in to the molded top of the valve that prevents the handle to moving to the position that would close off the "Inlet".

I also note that in the OP's picture the "Fan Sprays" line is not shut off. @Roox911 Will the valve handle turn further in the counter-clockwise direction than what we see in your picture? To truly shut off the outlet the handle has to be positioned directly opposite, about 45 degrees further counter-clockwise than in your picture.

The position of the label does have one effect. There is a stop built in to the molded top of the valve that prevents the handle to moving to the position that would close off the "Inlet".

Unless the stops are clipped off which they sometimes are.

On pools that are winterized you want to be able to close the inlet.

I also note that in the OP's picture the "Fan Sprays" line is not shut off. @Roox911 Will the valve handle turn further in the counter-clockwise direction than what we see in your picture? To truly shut off the outlet the handle has to be positioned directly opposite, about 45 degrees further counter-clockwise than in your picture.
the valve handle won't turn a full 180 - only goes about 45 degrees to the left or right.. so not full travel.

R,

Most valves have stops under the handle that prevent the handle from turning 360 degrees. I am not sure about yours, but most of these "stops" can be cut off to allow free movement of the valve.

I suggest that you do that, so you can shut off the fan spray returns.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you loosen the wingnut on top of the handle enough you will be able to lift the handle clear of the stops. Once you have it past the stop you can re-tighten the nut to the normal (still a bit loose) setting and the handle should swing freely through 180 degrees. But be aware with the top oriented the way it is the mid-point of that 180 degree swing will block the flow from the pump entirely. As Jim says you can also cut off the stop entirely.

R,

With the pump running you never want your valves set so that no water can flow.

That said, when I want to take my pump lid off, I always shut off all the in and out pipes. This keeps water from the filter from draining back into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

Most valves have stops under the handle that prevent the handle from turning 360 degrees. I am not sure about yours, but most of these "stops" can be cut off to allow free movement of the valve.

I suggest that you do that, so you can shut off the fan spray returns.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Don't cut the stops off under the handle as doing so allows the pump to be dead-headed. Instead, carefully remove the cover to the valve and put the word "INLET" on the port coming from the filter/pump.

It would be best to have an o-ring kit for the valve before removing the cover. Amazon has after market ones that I have used successfully and are relatively cheap. Be sure to lube the o-rings.

If you need to shut off any flow from the pump, you can remove the center wingnut and lift the handle to rotate to block flow. Just remember you did that before turning the pump back on. For normal use, leave the safety device - the tabs in this case - in place. The OP being in Florida, chances are there will not be a reason to block flow from the pump with this valve.

My bet is moving the cover 180 degrees - to its correct location - will allow the jets to be correctly selected and/or shut off completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.