Jandy WaterColors, LED Color Pool Light CPHVRGBWS150 - Aftermarket replacement suggestions?

OfficeReefer

Jul 27, 2021
Argyle, TX
Hello, TFP!

About four months ago, my pool light started going out and would only display in red and white. The spa light still works as expected. At this point, the light simply no longer works and I have not yet been able to get Jandy to warranty it, because I bought my home with the pool already installed by the builder and don't have any info on the light purchase.

Could anyone recommend a decent aftermarket lamp that would work with the same controller and what not?

Thank you!

Look at the CMP LED lights that are Jandy compatible

Thanks @ajw22. I did speak to Fluidra today and they stated that this light has a 1 year warranty and even though the previous owner had the pool installed to sell the home, the warranty was not transferable and belongs to the original owner. Where could I get this CMP light and are there any others that would work, from say Amazon?

Fluidra stated they would not sell me the lamp directly and being a TFP member, I don't have a pool company. I am the pool company at the moment. :)

This what you have?

See what lights Florida Sunseekers may have for you.

Bunch of sites sell the CMP lights…

Get ones that are Jandy compatible.

This what you have?

See what lights Florida Sunseekers may have for you.
This appears to be the one I have now. The spa one still works and is a smaller 5" if I recall.

I think Florida Sunseekers has a light that can work for you. Call them tomorrow…

Thank you.

I just purchased what I thought was a replacement and is a fraudulent site it seems. :(

I only realized this after checking out and seeing a different cost than what was shown and there was no item description at all. PayPal should be banned.
Are these lights really $1000?

This seems really heavy for me and unrealistic for a lamp with an extension cord. I could see something like that with install but it's just a lamp.

LED pool lights are in the $400-$800 range. They contain a bunch of electronics and are expensive for what you get.

Consider getting a white incandescent pool light and you can find LED bulbs on Amazon if you really want colors…

Two general questions on the light and replacement of it.

As per Jandy's guides, does one need to replace the gasket with each new bulb?

I watched one come off on a video, and it's a simple matter to replace with a single external screw, a single screw to loosen the metal case, and then separate the gasket. From there, it's screwing in a light bulb as usual.
I cannot fathom why anyone would require a new cable or whatnot unless something happened to the one currently pulled underground, such as electrical issues from over current rating of the line and wires.

The second question is, what causes these to change colors on the bulb or PCB?

I am aware there is a relay and controller on the AquaLink for this, but it is geared toward the main products of pool companies. Several inexpensive have remotes for their controller on the unit that Pentair, Hayward, etc., do not have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As per Jandy's guides, does one need to replace the gasket with each new bulb?

I watched one come off on a video, and it's a simple matter to replace with a single external screw, a single screw to loosen the metal case, and then separate the gasket. From there, it's screwing in a light bulb as usual.

Which light are we discussing? The LED light ir the incandescent light?

I cannot fathom why anyone would require a new cable or whatnot unless something happened to the one currently pulled underground, such as electrical issues from over current rating of the line and wires.

Anytime the light housing is replaced the cable is replaced. You cannot have a cable connection underwater.

The second question is, what causes these to change colors on the bulb or PCB?

What light are we discussing?
I am aware there is a relay and controller on the AquaLink for this, but it is geared toward the main products of pool companies. Several inexpensive have remotes for their controller on the unit that Pentair, Hayward, etc., do not have.
I am not sure where you are going with this.

I am wondering about just replacing the lamp, just as this property management company does. I do not see them pulling a new cable.

I am also wondering what makes pool bulbs change colors from the three wires in the cable that others seem to not implement, as they have remotes.

Thanks @ajw22. I read that and is why I am asking question two.

This seems an unnecessary step to have color LED lights in a pool. It does seem necessary if I want to continue using the Jandy Aqualink controller for that but perhaps that should be replaced.
I see plenty of other lights that do not require any of this and honestly, I have many lights in and around the property that I can turn on with open source automation, etc.

What gives that this whole PCB board thing and what not exists? Is there a bulb that does not require this step and if so, what do I need to remove or not use to leverage that?

I don't want to mess with cables and pull wires. I'd like to do what the person in the video does and whatever bulbs or controllers that may be to make this occur.

LED pool lights are in the $400-$800 range. They contain a bunch of electronics and are expensive for what you get.

Consider getting a white incandescent pool light and you can find LED bulbs on Amazon if you really want colors…

@ajw22 I know this thread is old but I followed up on getting the correct one. I was told it was $1300+ for a color LED one and $1100+ for the LED white version. This seems really out of proportion?

@ajw22 I know this thread is old but I followed up on getting the correct one. I was told it was $1300+ for a color LED one and $1100+ for the LED white version. This seems really out of proportion?

Depends which light we are discussing and if your price was from a Pool Store and includes installation.

Typically Pool Store prices are 2X DIY prices.

Hello, TFP!

About four months ago, my pool light started going out and would only display in red and white. The spa light still works as expected. At this point, the light simply no longer works and I have not yet been able to get Jandy to warranty it, because I bought my home with the pool already installed by the builder and don't have any info on the light purchase.

Could anyone recommend a decent aftermarket lamp that would work with the same controller and what not?

Thank you!
How did you land on this? I’m in the same boat. 4 years old and I have two bad lights now. Garbage.

I haven't been happy with the reliability of the Jandy WaterColor lights either. 3 out of 4 of our lights have gone bad since our pool was completed 2 summer's ago. Luckily our builder is a preferred Jandy installer and has an extended warranty on them, so they're all being covered under warranty. The tech who came out and verified said that it was a known issue with a certain batch, and verified serial numbers when he came to check. Hopefully, Jandy has fixed the issues, but it's good to know that there are replacement options once we're out of warranty.

I just had 2 replaced (out of 3). They were replaced under warranty. I asked the warranty company if my lights had any issues (or install issues). The tech said that he didn't see any issues with them. He said they have been replacing a lot of them lately (for no real reason).

My first light had issues about 1 year after install (water fill was July 2022). The second light had issues about a month later. They didn't completely go out, just one of the LEDs went out. It messes up the whole color range.