Jandy JXi heater with Hayward Omnihub mystery

DeeCiple

Aug 23, 2023
Charlotte, North Carolina
Hi folks,

First time poster :)

I have a real mystery that I am hoping I can find a solution to. I have a Jandy JXi series heater connected to a Hayward Omnihub through the 2 wire (fireman's switch) for remote control. AFAIK, Everything is set according to the manufacturer's instructions:

• On Jandy, 2 wire connected to POOL + COM contacts
  • On Jandy, RTSTAT is set and thermostat set to 104 degrees
  • On Hayward 2 wire connected to LVR1 (low voltage relay)
  • On Hayward, heater is programmed to the LVR1

The problem I am having is that regardless of the setting of the Omnihub, the heater is always on and heating. Here are some of my diagnostic efforts:

• Tested remote wire for shorts with a multi-meter
  • Connected multi-meter (in continuity mode) to Omnihub to verify contact closing/opening properly (set point below water temp == contact open; set point above water temp == contact closed) PASSED.
  • Manually opened and closed the circuit on the Jandy (in RTSTAT mode, connected COM to POOL contacts and heater came on; disconnected COM from POOL contacts and heater turned off) PASSED.

If I had any hair left I would be pulling it out :) If anyone knows why the pieces seem to be working as expected separately but not together PLEASE HELP!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,
Ken

Hi folks,

First time poster :)

I have a real mystery that I am hoping I can find a solution to. I have a Jandy JXi series heater connected to a Hayward Omnihub through the 2 wire (fireman's switch) for remote control. AFAIK, Everything is set according to the manufacturer's instructions:

• On Jandy, 2 wire connected to POOL + COM contacts
  • On Jandy, RTSTAT is set and thermostat set to 104 degrees
  • On Hayward 2 wire connected to LVR1 (low voltage relay)
  • On Hayward, heater is programmed to the LVR1

The problem I am having is that regardless of the setting of the Omnihub, the heater is always on and heating. Here are some of my diagnostic efforts:

• Tested remote wire for shorts with a multi-meter
  • Connected multi-meter (in continuity mode) to Omnihub to verify contact closing/opening properly (set point below water temp == contact open; set point above water temp == contact closed) PASSED.
  • Manually opened and closed the circuit on the Jandy (in RTSTAT mode, connected COM to POOL contacts and heater came on; disconnected COM from POOL contacts and heater turned off) PASSED.

If I had any hair left I would be pulling it out :) If anyone knows why the pieces seem to be working as expected separately but not together PLEASE HELP!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,
Ken
Is this a pool/spa combo?

Does the pool heat beyond the setpoint?
Yes, the pool heats beyond the setpoint specified in the Omnihub.

Is the water temp sensor reporting the correct temperature?
Yes.

Have you "disabled" the heater in the OmniHub? If so, does it continue to run?
Yes, and yes.

Do you have solar? If so, have you set the priority according to page 33 of the manual?
No.

Does the pool heat beyond the setpoint?
Yes, the pool heats beyond the setpoint specified in the Omnihub.

Is the water temp sensor reporting the correct temperature?
Yes.

Have you "disabled" the heater in the OmniHub? If so, does it continue to run?
Yes, and yes.

Do you have solar? If so, have you set the priority according to page 33 of the manual?
No.
Sometimes a "re-boot," remove power from OmniHub for about 5 minutes then restore. Settings will be saved.
Literally just had to do the same with my Hayward VSP.

Unfortunately that has not worked :(
Running out of options. Look for a short in the 2-wire cable running to the heater. Check both in the heater and at the circuit board of the Omni Hub and the entire length. Had a customer with automation with a similar problem about 15 years ago. Found rodent damage and a short under some debris. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New remote cable did not help. Last ditch effort is to load the Omnihub defaults and start from scratch. But before I do this, can someone confirm whether if I cannot get the system working properly after loading the defaults and I restore it from a saved config (I backed up my config to USB) will it restore everything as it was before I loaded the defaults? Is there anything that is not saved with the backed up config?

Upon cfh the automation will determine if the desired temperature is higher than current temperature. If it is, it will close the dry relay on the board, closing the circuit for the heater. The heater will turn on and determine if the desired temperature is higher than current temperature based on the heaters tstat and settings and fire up. You said the relay closes and opens on demand and the heater has a cfh when it’s closed and shuts down when it’s open. If that’s accurate they are doing what they are supposed to do. Maybe pictures will help? Edit/note: I’m not familiar with omnihub but with pentair automation the heater has to bound to a master pool/spa for it to read current water temperature. I don’t know what the lvr1 relay is. Assuming it’s the heater relay.

Last edited:
Upon cfh the automation will determine if the desired temperature is higher than current temperature. If it is, it will close the dry relay on the board, closing the circuit for the heater. The heater will turn on and determine if the desired temperature is higher than current temperature based on the heaters tstat and settings and fire up. You said the relay closes and opens on demand and the heater has a cfh when it’s closed and shuts down when it’s open. If that’s accurate they are doing what they are supposed to do. Maybe pictures will help? Edit/note: I’m not familiar with omnihub but with pentair automation the heater has to bound to a master pool/spa for it to read current water temperature. I don’t know what the lvr1 relay is. Assuming it’s the heater relay.
Low-voltage relay 1.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Your video jumped over some steps.

You did not show us the actual connections you have of the control wire at the heater and the Omni board for the demonstration at the end of the video.

You showed the ends of two wires in the video, one attached to the heater and one attached to the Omni board. Did you splice the two wires together to make the connection?

Leave the thermostat on the heater at 104 and Remote Tstat enabled.

With the heater running when the Omni water temperature is greater then the Omni heat setpoint pull the wire off of the LVR1 connection. Does the heater stop?

Someplace in your wire connections you have the wires shorted.

Show us all the wire connections.

Your video jumped over some steps.

You did not show us the actual connections you have of the control wire at the heater and the Omni board for the demonstration at the end of the video.

You showed the ends of two wires in the video, one attached to the heater and one attached to the Omni board. Did you splice the two wires together to make the connection?

Leave the thermostat on the heater at 104 and Remote Tstat enabled.

With the heater running when the Omni water temperature is greater then the Omni heat setpoint pull the wire off of the LVR1 connection. Does the heater stop?

Someplace in your wire connections you have the wires shorted.

Show us all the wire connections
No splice.
Heater is set to 104 and RTSTAT enabled.
Heater stops when wires pulled from Hayward.
No shorts. Wire tested with meter.

Read the original post or the YouTube description. That is where I indicate the wire connections.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support