Jandy JXI Heater Not Working

bta44

May 2, 2023
Ottawa
Hi All!

I'm new to this forum and new to inground salt water pools and heaters. I have had multiple above ground pools over the years, so I have some familiarity.

My family purchased a house this fall and moved into it in the winter. So my first experience with the pool and equipment was this week when opening the pool.
The pool was closed by a pool person, and said everything was working when it was winterized.
I got everything running with the pool, pump and salt generator with only some minor issues.
The major issue is with the Jandy Pool Heater.

I went to start my Jandy JXI Pool Heater, the first couple times I tried it, I had most things correct, but forgot to turn on the gas valve in the house, so the blower would turn on but would never actually ignite.
When I had the valve open, I turned on the heater again, the blower turned on and the heater seemed to ignite and started going for a minute. (There was now warm air coming from the exhaust). After a minute or two there was a loud bang and the blower stopped. I tried to turn it on again and the blower wont come back on at all anymore.

I went through the troubleshooting steps with my multimeter and all the wiring and electrical seem to be correct. The troubleshooting steps say that if all the electrical is correct, then replace the blower.

Based on this info: Would you all agree that I should replace the blower? Should I hire a pool heater repair person to replace it or can I do it myself? ( I found the part online)
I'm worried that I would spend $1000 on a new blower and there was some some other issue that led to the blower failing (the loud bang)

Thanks so much in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

Given the bang and not knowing why that happened and the damage it caused you need your heater checked out by a qualified heater technician. In the US we say he should be NATE Certified. I don't know what the Canadian equivalent is.

Thank you for the help. I'm sure glad I didn't buy the part myself.
The technician came to look at the heater, and I had luckily contacted the same one that the previous owner had used. I guess this technician had been to the house almost every year to fix something or replace a part (None of that was disclosed to us when we bought the house). He recommended just replacing the heater because this heater has been junk ever since it was installed.

Any recommendations for a natural gas pool heater?

It is a 60,000 L inground salt water pool, with good sun coverage.

Thank you

Jandy JXI, Hayward H Series, Pentair MasterTemp, Raypak Avia are all basically the same design.

I like the Pentair MasterTemp.

What models is all your other pool equipment?

With no automation you have a choice of whatever gas heater is best supported in your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.