Jandy AquaPure PLC 700 not producing chlorine

Luigy39

Oct 19, 2020
Florida
Hello, this is my first post on these forums, even though I have been a casual reader.

I replaced a Jandy cell (AquaPure PLC 700) because the system was given me errors 172 and 190 and no chlorine was being produced. it's been a week since the new cell was installed and there have been no more errors and it always shows that there is "flow" and "Cell On", all is in the green, but still, no chlorine is being produced. The system shows the salinity at 3300 and at the store shows it at 3300 as well. I have been running the pool for at least 8 hours a day, including 2 days where I boost the pool for 24 hours. I have included 2 pictures of the readings.

What would the next step be and thank you in advance?

Attachments

• IMG_4545.JPG
    IMG_4545.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4546.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It is very likely you have algae in your pool water that is consuming the chlorine as fast as the SWCG can generate it. You need your own test kit to measure FC, CC, pH, TA, and CYA so we can help you.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

How many gallons in your pool?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

I suspect while your old SWG was inop and your FC fell to 0 algae got into your water. Now the chlorine being generated is being consumed fighting the algae.

You need your own test kit to properly fight algae. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. See Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

Once you get your test kit download PoolMath and post your test results.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM Process

How many gallons in your pool?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

I suspect while your old SWG was inop and your FC fell to 0 algae got into your water. Now the chlorine being generated is being consumed fighting the algae.

You need your own test kit to properly fight algae. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. See Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

Once you get your test kit download PoolMath and post your test results.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM Process
My pool is about 16,000 gallons and I did have green water for a couple of days and in the pool's walls and floors, all that is gone now and the water seems to be 90% clear because I have been adding chlorine to the water, but not there yet. I would love to get the test but wonder how complicated the whole thing is to understand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cell is probably working. You can check the amperage to verify. The 700 model has half the number of plates as the 1400 model. In the below thread, the amperage tests at about 5.6 amps, so your amperage should test at about 2.8 amps.

1599857387830-png.162138

There are two ways to test amperage, inline and clamp. If you feel comfortable working with electricity, you can do either test.

Either way, you need a good test kit to keep up with the chemistry.

You need to SLAM to get caught up.

SLAM Process

is it a pretty good bet then that the new cell is working properly and what I need is the test kit in order to get to the bottom of the problem?
Yes.
Also, that cell is very undersized for a 16000 gallon pool. At what % generation and for how many hours each day are you running the SWCG?

Yes.
Also, that cell is very undersized for a 16000 gallon pool. At what % generation and for how many hours each day are you running the SWCG?
I regularly run it for 8 hours a day. after the algae problems I have boost twice and then the rest of the days the regular 8-hour schedule. the cell has been running at 100% for the last 6 days.

At 100% and 8 hours that is adding 1.6ppm FC per day to your pool. That is insufficient in your climate for nearly all year.
Recommended Levels
How many hours a day do you suggest I should run the pool. I have followed that schedule for the last five years and my water has been crystal clear, only after the cell broke down it created I had the algae bloom. Do you think 10 hours a is a much safer plan.?

Luigy, just as a recap:
1. Your Jandy isn’t making enough chlorine for your pool. You need to run it at 100% for way more than 8 hours. Probably more like 16 hours a day at 100%.
2. You probably have algae, which is eating up all your chlorine.
3. You should get a test kit.
4. You should do an overnight chlorine loss test to check whether you have algae. If you do, you need to do a SLAM to get rid of the algae.

If you want a quick confirmation that your Jandy is making chlorine, you should see bubbles coming out of the return closest to your pool equipment when the Jandy light says it’s making chlorine.

I want to make a correction, my pool is about 9,500 to 10,000 gallons, (not 16,000) sorry for the mistake.
That makes a difference. Fill out your signature, it really helps us help you.

Your cell is closer to properly sized. Once you get a proper test kit, resolve any algae issues, then we can help you narrow down your SWCG run times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.