I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

I actually have a tracing light box somewhere. The surface is white. I wonder if it’d have the same effect? Something to try if I can find it. We still haven’t unpacked a whole lot ?

Strawberry, You are in a war! There will be some small battles as you wage this war. Some you will win hands down............some you will think you lost..............but in the end you will win the war! Finding the leaves will make a big difference (go hubby!). Keep on keeping on.

Taking a pic of the water each day will help you see the progress. You are doing a great job finding your way to a clear pool. Once this war is done you should never have to do it again! It will easy with what you have learned.

The liner color-get some cheap (white) vitamin C tablets. Crush them up and put them in a sock. Sit on the floor of the pool and let it sit for about 15 mins. Let us know what happens. If you cannot see the bottom good enough yet you can try to find a way to hold it against one of the walls.

Kim:kim:

...Getting pretty frustrated & down :(...
Here is an encouraging read for you I hope! (this pool owner shared beginning-swamp to end-crystal-pool!)
Liner Safety P.S. You can't drain as they did (you have a vinyl liner), but you could sump pump water out & refill fresh at the same time, the same way some have to "drain exchange" for too high CYA.

Last edited:
I am going to pick up some vit c, was reading about that last night. I can’t see the bottom at all anywhere, so i’ll have to get it against the wall somehow.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I actually read that post splashpad. It’s actually one of the post that really made me go okay, maybe we can handle this ourselves lol. I was on here reading before I ever closed on my home, knowing the pool hadn’t been open in years...

I would like draining to be a last resort. I’m willing to do it if I absolutely have to, but we live on a culdesac right next to a school. I doubt I can drain into the street, and my home is elevated and near the end of the street so going through the backyard is going to flood my neighbors. The water already seeps that way from backwashing and I let them know. Thankfully they all want to see the pool restored and get in (neighbor is a water aerobics instructor!), so I have some support. But I don’t think she’d approve me flooding her lovely yard :(

It’s raining today. Probably not going to stop at all until tomorrow. Should I still test or will it be inaccurate? Maybe take the water from deeper under the surface? Visually, not looking much different.

I actually read that post splashpad. It’s actually one of the post that really made me go okay, maybe we can handle this ourselves lol. I was on here reading before I ever closed on my home, knowing the pool hadn’t been open in years...
Very smart, perfectly prepared!
I would like draining to be a last resort. I’m willing to do it if I absolutely have to, but we live on a culdesac right next to a school. I doubt I can drain into the street, and my home is elevated and near the end of the street so going through the backyard is going to flood my neighbors. The water already seeps that way from backwashing and I let them know. Thankfully they all want to see the pool restored and get in (neighbor is a water aerobics instructor!), so I have some support. But I don’t think she’d approve me flooding her lovely yard :(
Support is awesome! I don’t know if you guys travel or anything, but once it's clean, it sounds like having someone top off "normal" FC to the clean pool won't be an issue! That's great!! You will definitely win the war, it's the battles inbetween that can be tough ?
As far as draining, you can't (usually) safely empty a vinyl liner, especially if it's raining! You will clear it, just wanting to be sure all the options are made available
Also you might have a sewer cleanout that you can direct your backwash too, to help not add to the "soggy" ??‍♂️?‍♀️
It’s raining today. Probably not going to stop at all until tomorrow. Should I still test or will it be inaccurate? Maybe take the water from deeper under the surface? Visually, not looking much different.
Start testing and you can start adding chlorine to battle back the "green alien monster" ?;)

I just wanted to "wave" at you StrawberryShortCake and give you encouragement on your adventure. It's a huge, HUGE pain right now, but just think...in a matter of time, you will have a sparkling pool you'll be able to use soon. You and your hubby will most certainly want plenty of pool time w/ all the unpacking you will be doing!!! :) And...you will have the pride of doing it yourself!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys,

Sorry it's a bit late. Had to have an electrician over. One problem fixed indoors!

I did full test on the pool. Honestly not sure what I should do next, so awaiting replies.

First cleaned my pump basket, backwashed filter for 2 minutes (yucky looking color then clear), and did the rinse setting for 20 seconds.

First did the chlorine test with the OTO test and it was barely registering faint yellow.
Confirmed with the powder test.

FC: 0.5
CC: 2.5
PH: Under 6.8, very faint.
Alk: 50
CYA: Just at 20 when the dot disappeared. I was turned away from sun, looking into tube at waist-level in my shadow.

Here are some pics. Just comparing to a few days ago, it looks worse. I don't know how well you can make up the orangey color under the waterline, You can see all the dead algae on the steps.

IMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0599.jpg

To be clear, I added 12 gallons of 6% bleach to the pool last night (from 8pm-12am). We also did the PH up a few days ago, so not sure why that hasn't come up? The CYA I added stayed.

I did full test on the pool. Honestly not sure what I should do next, so awaiting replies.

First cleaned my pump basket, backwashed filter for 2 minutes (yucky looking color then clear), and did the rinse setting for 20 seconds.

First did the chlorine test with the OTO test and it was barely registering faint yellow.
Confirmed with the powder test.

FC: 0.5
CC: 2.5
PH: Under 6.8, very faint.
Alk: 50
CYA: Just at 20 when the dot disappeared. I was turned away from sun, looking into tube at waist-level in my shadow.

Here are some pics. Just comparing to a few days ago, it looks worse. I don't know how well you can make up the orangey color under the waterline, You can see all the dead algae on the steps.

To be clear, I added 12 gallons of 6% bleach to the pool last night (from 8pm-12am). We also did the PH up a few days ago, so not sure why that hasn't come up? The CYA I added stayed.
So I would get the PH up, 4lbs of washing soda
And possibly try some of that pool chlorine again, and dose it to FC/10 and recheck and top up every 15min, I think you have *something* in the water that isn't going down without a fight! With CYA holding, it shouldn't be ammonia, but the FC might have killed the bacteria, now you are trying to beat the "waste"
I personally like the OTO test :D (but I have artist leanings, so I can see the shades of yellow/orange)
I think the pool looks clearer, just an off color.

Yeah that bleach should have given you FC/30. I think you are going to have to hit it hard with chlorine, dose, wait 15min, test & repeat every 15-30min until it starts holding!

Okay. I am gonna wait to start for hubby to get home then! He is going to have to get me some more bleach, I don't think I have enough based on past days to stay on top of it lol. Like 6 gallons left.

Should I add the ph up now anyway?

Also, should I wait to start tomorrow when more of the powder reagent arrives, or do you think I could start the topping off method with the OTO test tonight. I have powder enough for maybe 2, 3 test tops.

Okay. I am gonna wait to start for hubby to get home then! He is going to have to get me some more bleach, I don't think I have enough based on past days to stay on top of it lol. Like 6 gallons left.

Should I add the ph up now anyway?

Also, should I wait to start tomorrow when more of the powder reagent arrives, or do you think I could start the topping off method with the OTO test tonight. I have powder enough for maybe 2, 3 test tops.
Personally, I would get the PH up, vinyl does not like low PH

Yeah, you can wait till "reinforcements" arrive (aka more chlorine) ;)
Right now, I think you are safe to use the OTO to "see" if/when the chlorine sticks (check 15-30min after adding dose(s)). And then you can "dig" tomorrow with some more headway made :D

Hit and hit it hard! Do not let much time go by with out trying to get the FC up or you may lose some ground.

Here is what I think is happening..............you are doing everything right BUT there is more in there still so you are having an HUGE battle with it. Keep on keeping on!!!!

Have you opened the filter? Here is a link to a SLAM that was not working an come to find out the filter was not working :shock: so.....Just bought a house with a green pool

Kim:kim:

Strawberryshortcake, I have to admit, I haven't checked all the posts to see if this has been asked and answered, if it has, ignore me!

The color reminds me of when high iron/mineral content water mixes with chlorine at start up. Have you tested your water for iron or other minerals?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.