RNeumann

Mar 13, 2019
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI all. We just bought a house which came with a very green pool. The pool hasn't been covered or cleaned for about 7 months. I pulled lots of debris from the bottom, mostly pine needles and leaves, but there is certainly more down there, it's just hard to get when you can't see. I haven't done much other than dumping 4 bottles of 6% bleach in it yesterday and running the pump for a day. It's a tad shade lighter today than yesterday but not much. I'm just looking for advice on how to get this thing up and running.

FC: 1.6
CC: 1.6
ph: 7.7
TA: 70 ppm
CH: 50 ppm
CYA: 45
Pool is about 30 years old. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

You have the right test kit so get to SLAM Process. Read the article in the link.
Round up your CYA result to 50ppm. It is not viable to interpolate that result as the vial is in logarithmic scale.
If you did NOT buy the K2006C -- you will need FAS-DPD refills now! Order from FAS-DPD XL

Also start using a 10 ml water sample for your FC test. Each drop to clear will account for 0.5ppm FC.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

You may also want to get the Poolmath app.

HI THERE! Look at you already doing everything right!
-find TFP- done
-fill in siggy-done
-good test kit-done
-start thread asking for help-done!

Now go to this link: Trouble Free Pool

That is our method to clear a pool. SLAM stands for Shock Level And Maintain. The test kit will tell you where you are and Pool Math (link here: Trouble Free Pool ) will tell you how much chlorine to add to get and MAINTAIN your FC at SLAM level.

What you need to do now is:
-order more regents as you are going to go through them fast. Look in my siggy below to find where to order them from
-call your CYA 50 as we round the number up
-Get and keep your FC at your SLAM level for your CYA level.
-test and dose at least 4 times a day. More often in the beginning if possible.
-leave pump running 24/7 during the SLAM

You should brush two times a day if possible. You should keep using a deep net to get as much solid stuff out as you can. Do you have a cleaner of any kind yet?

OH and take a pic to share with us so we can watch your pool clear!

Kim:kim:

HI THERE! Look at you already doing everything right!
-find TFP- done
-fill in siggy-done
-good test kit-done
-start thread asking for help-done!

Now go to this link: Trouble Free Pool

That is our method to clear a pool. SLAM stands for Shock Level And Maintain. The test kit will tell you where you are and Pool Math (link here: Trouble Free Pool ) will tell you how much chlorine to add to get and MAINTAIN your FC at SLAM level.

What you need to do now is:
-order more regents as you are going to go through them fast. Look in my siggy below to find where to order them from
-call your CYA 50 as we round the number up
-Get and keep your FC at your SLAM level for your CYA level.
-test and dose at least 4 times a day. More often in the beginning if possible.
-leave pump running 24/7 during the SLAM

You should brush two times a day if possible. You should keep using a deep net to get as much solid stuff out as you can. Do you have a cleaner of any kind yet?

OH and take a pic to share with us so we can watch your pool clear!

Thanks for the response. I like to be prepared before I jump into something so I've done a good bit of reading through this forum already, but it's all new to me so still getting the hang of it.

I'll order the reagents now to have them on hand and will have plenty of free time the beginning of the coming week to start the SLAM method.

I do have a brush attatment for the pole, but not a vacuum yet. There was a robotic vacuum the previous owners left here but it's currently lost in the pool - the power cord somehow snapped away from the bot while it was down there :/ Any recommendations for a vacuum?

If the cord separated from the existing robot I would suspect that one is toast.

Many of us have Maytronics/Dolphin robots. My simple Active20 from Marina Pools in Denver works great.

I have a sad for your robot..............we will work on getting you a new one but for right now you can just run to Walmart or Lowes and get a manual vacuum set up. Get a hose (make sure it can reach both ends of the pool), a "butterfly" vacuum head, and one of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Plastic-Vacuum-plate/3027674 Make sure to measure so you get the right size.

The hardest part of it is keeping water in the hose after you fill it up and try to get it onto the skimmer plate :roll: I put the end of the hose without the vacuum plate right in front of the return and let the return push water into the hose. Make sure you or someone holds onto the pole handle as the way of filling will also make the vauum head float up and move. Don't want to lose anything else in the pool LOL

I'll check out the local stores this weekend and pick up a temporary vacuum and try not to lose it in the pool when using it:p. Looks like I'll need to add about 7 gallons of bleach to get it to shock level. Any recommendations on how much I should keep on hand to maintain these levels? I'll also take some pics to update the progress once I begin. Thanks all for the advice so far.

If your pool is very green, I would try to find some more concentrated liquid chlorine, if at all possible, over the 6% laundry stuff.

If you use the 6%, I would suggest your first purchase be at least 25 gallons. And it most likely will take quite a bit more than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Pool Essentials is good.

Check the Julian date. Look for a printed number on the bottle. Needs to start with 19 followed by three numbers. Those are the number of days in 2019 it was bottled. As long as it was bottled in 2019, you should be good.

The Pool Essentials is good.

Check the Julian date. Look for a printed number on the bottle. Needs to start with 19 followed by three numbers. Those are the number of days in 2019 it was bottled. As long as it was bottled in 2019, you should be good.
Noticed that today. Bought 16 jugs at Lowes, the ones with white caps had 19 stamped, the ones with blue caps had 18 stamped on the side. I bought all white capped. $3.86/jug -10% military discount is not bad.

At the start with a very green pool I would test and dose every 90 minutes to 2 hours. That should slow down once the pool turns murky blue.

I don't think anyone else mentioned it but you can save on your FAS-DPD reagent and powder use by doing the tests with 10ml of water, and 1 scoop of DPD powder, then each drop of R-0871 equals .5ppm for your FC & CC tests.

I’ve been seeing this tossed around the boards lately, and it has me :scratch: my head. According to Taylor, you still use 2 dippers of the R-0870 DPD powder, with either the 10ml or the 25ml sample. Is there something I’m missing?

image.jpg

You CAN use two scoops if you like for the 10ml test. More of that reagent does not hamper the results.

But, there is no NEED to use that much. Just use a rounded scoop full for the 10 ml test. To check yourself, be sure there is at least a grain of R0870 that does not dissolve. That means you added enough.

Reactions: Arizonarob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.