Is weekly shock needed?

Kidneydoc

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
As per the spa sticky thread: "Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week."

If my CC is 0.5 or less, do I need to shock once a week?

thanks!

In 7 seasons I have never once shocked my pool. Keep your free chlorine above the minimum and you should be fine.

The is for stand alone hot tubs folks. Everything revolves around properly watching and maintaining levels and all, but bather load residuals are off the charts in a spa, hence the reccomendations for a somewhat regular shocking when the spa is used frequently.

If you never fall below minimum & don’t have a cc’s issue there is no need to “shock” on a set schedule.
The sticky is filled with great info but it really needs to be edited/reworked some & turned into a comprehensive guide in pool school.
Edited to add*
Spa owners may find the need to raise fc to shock/slam level on a regular basis (before or after use) to ensure fc stays above min for their cya until the next use/dose - this often gets misinterpreted as “shock on a schedule” although it is not the same thing.
The TFP methodology for spas is the same as for pools - test frequently & give the water what it needs when it needs it, no more, no less.

Last edited:
I’m more of the opinion that shocking is unnecessary BUT …. there’s always a but …. Tub water should be changed way more frequently than people actually do in real life. 2 months, then dump the tub and start over. Yes, that does seems like a short time frame but the reality is hot tubs are just oversized bath tubs and there’s so much sweat, urea, skin, hair, “bodily fluids”, etc, etc, that dissolve away into a relatively tiny body of water that it’s honestly gross to consider how long people hold on to hot tub water.

If you dump the tub every 2 months and take good care of it in the interim, then you will never need any of the magic potions, shocks, clarifiers, etc, that are sold. Chlorine and a little bit of pH reducer will get you by. Even an Ahhsome purge would only be necessary maybe once or twice a year with that scenario.

I’m more of the opinion that shocking is unnecessary BUT …. there’s always a but …. Tub water should be changed way more frequently than people actually do in real life. 2 months, then dump the tub and start over. Yes, that does seems like a short time frame but the reality is hot tubs are just oversized bath tubs and there’s so much sweat, urea, skin, hair, “bodily fluids”, etc, etc, that dissolve away into a relatively tiny body of water that it’s honestly gross to consider how long people hold on to hot tub water.

If you dump the tub every 2 months and take good care of it in the interim, then you will never need any of the magic potions, shocks, clarifiers, etc, that are sold. Chlorine and a little bit of pH reducer will get you by. Even an Ahhsome purge would only be necessary maybe once or twice a year with that scenario.

In theory I agree, but again, it depends on the factors. Hot tubs are so small (and hot) that I don't think you can make a statement about anything in them, other than what @Mdragger88 said "give it what it needs when it needs it"

I am sure there are people out there with small tubs that wear t-shirts when they use them, dipping in their hair (with product in it), drinking and spilling a beer, and use the tub with a full load of people 6 or 7 times a week, in a small tub. Those people should perhaps be changing their water more frequently than every 2 months. On the other hand are the people with very large tubs, who only use the tub 2 - 3 times a week (or less) and are very clean about using the tub and they keep the sanitizer levels where they need to by. In that case, I really think you can go past 2 months.

In the summer, I do tend to be on the 2 month schedule - my tub gets more use in the summer months. But over the winter, I will go longer. We do not use it as often in the winter. I do keep an eye on things, and if the water starts to look cloudy, or the numbers are not behaving, then I will bite the bullet and do a sub-freezing water change, but I really do not like to.

I am a 6 monther (new word I just made up 🤣).
I am very careful about my sanitation, always erring on the high side with fc & picky with what goes into the tub (no frat parties hair conditioner etc.) only a dirty husband every now & then 😜.. so I am able to get by with those intervals. The weekly aqua clarity dose certainly helps combat the inevitable biofilms that occur regardless of how careful you are.
But….
if anything looks awry I have no qualms about dumping & starting fresh. In my case it’s only 200 or so gallons of water & dumping, purging, & refilling is much easier than fighting a dirty tub. If an impromptu party occurred I would enjoy the party (sanitizing along the way) & afterwards I definitely wouldn’t fight to hold on to the water.

In theory I agree, but again, it depends on the factors. Hot tubs are so small (and hot) that I don't think you can make a statement about anything in them, other than what @Mdragger88 said "give it what it needs when it needs it"

I am sure there are people out there with small tubs that wear t-shirts when they use them, dipping in their hair (with product in it), drinking and spilling a beer, and use the tub with a full load of people 6 or 7 times a week, in a small tub. Those people should perhaps be changing their water more frequently than every 2 months. On the other hand are the people with very large tubs, who only use the tub 2 - 3 times a week (or less) and are very clean about using the tub and they keep the sanitizer levels where they need to by. In that case, I really think you can go past 2 months.

In the summer, I do tend to be on the 2 month schedule - my tub gets more use in the summer months. But over the winter, I will go longer. We do not use it as often in the winter. I do keep an eye on things, and if the water starts to look cloudy, or the numbers are not behaving, then I will bite the bullet and do a sub-freezing water change, but I really do not like to.

(The above is missing a quote from @JoyfulNoise)

I think you both nailed it! It's a big bath tub, so when it goes south it's really time to consider EXACTLY what both of you argue!

We used ours more our first six months and it was a fight to keep the water six months. And, as you both point out, probably NOT a wise choice :) This second cycle started with a purge but as I still think your arguments apply 100%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Happy Sunday Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.