Is this the bleach I should use?

Nothing with fabric protection, Just their regular/plain stuff. Or go to the pool section for Pool Essentials (10%).
So i see that the link says fabric protection in the description, but I went into the store and bought this and I don't see anywhere on the bottle that it says fabric protection. The pictures from walmart.com match exactly what I bought, is there something on the bottle that I can look for to know its not what I want? This was the only bleach they had at my local store.

So i see that the link says fabric protection in the description, but I went into the store and bought this and I don't see anywhere on the bottle that it says fabric protection.
I would agree. I didn't see anything about fabric protection of polymers added. Should be okay.

It says active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite 7.5% other ingredients 92.5% yields 7.13% available chlorine.

Could that other ingredients contain something I don't want to add to my water? Also, if not, what % should i input into pool math for my bleach? 6% 7.13% or 7.5%

Could that other ingredients contain something I don't want to add to my water? Also, if not, what % should i input into pool math for my bleach?
Sometimes that's the unknown we get concerned about. Usually the other ingredients are things like water, sodium, etc. But the label didn't advertise anything odd. Next time you're at Walmart, look for their Pool Essential in the outdoor/pool area (10%).

Check Lowe's in the garden section. They sell Chem Tek 10% liquid chlorine for around $6.86 per case (2 gallons). You might have better luck with that because the hoarders who are buying up all the bleach don't know that liquid chlorine is the same thing only stronger.

Reactions: GDN

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just called my 2 local pool stores, neither carry liquid chlorine because the shelf life is only a month... they of course carry the granuals that likely have trichlor in them

My local home depot and lowes doesn't have the liquid chlorine

Shelf life is longer than a month, but if they don't sell a lot of it it would go bad, whereas the granulated chlorine won't lose potency over time. Do you have any other hardware stores near you? Ace, Menards, Farm & Fleet are hardware chains up here in the Midwest that carry liquid chlorine too.

Dollar general might have bleach but from what I've heard it's reaaaally dilluted, like 3% or less, so it's not that great. Check with Ace - ours has some up here, but it could be regional.

Not sure on the tractor supply store. If you call, tell them you're looking for liquid pool shock or liquid chlorinating liquid - sodium hypochlorite is the main ingredient and it would be 10% or 12.5% if meant for pools.

Note that $6 for a gallon of 10% is not a good price (the Ace link) but if push comes to shove it's better than algae in the pool...

Would this work, and am i crazy or is that a bit high?

Here's the stuff from Walmart that we recommend if you can get it, much better price than the Ace stuff if it's available:

Make sure you check the dates on the bottles. They should have a 5-digit number printed on them for when they were made - something like 20090. That means year 20, 90th day of the year. If it starts with 19 at this point I'd be concerned.

Would this work, and am i crazy or is that a bit high?
That is the stuff you want, but ideally you want it for about 60% of that price :) But like I said, sometimes beggars can't be choosers...if it's all you can find!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.