Is this the bleach I should use?

dethnode

Apr 23, 2020
arkansas
So I just went to local walmart and bought two of these, please tell me they are okay to use.

Also, on my iphone anytime i try to change the bleach bottle size, it closes the pool math app? Anyone else having this issue?

dethnode

Apr 23, 2020
arkansas
Nothing with fabric protection, Just their regular/plain stuff. Or go to the pool section for Pool Essentials (10%).
So i see that the link says fabric protection in the description, but I went into the store and bought this and I don't see anywhere on the bottle that it says fabric protection. The pictures from walmart.com match exactly what I bought, is there something on the bottle that I can look for to know its not what I want? This was the only bleach they had at my local store.

dethnode

Apr 23, 2020
arkansas
It says active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite 7.5% other ingredients 92.5% yields 7.13% available chlorine.

Could that other ingredients contain something I don't want to add to my water? Also, if not, what % should i input into pool math for my bleach? 6% 7.13% or 7.5%

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Could that other ingredients contain something I don't want to add to my water? Also, if not, what % should i input into pool math for my bleach?
Sometimes that's the unknown we get concerned about. Usually the other ingredients are things like water, sodium, etc. But the label didn't advertise anything odd. Next time you're at Walmart, look for their Pool Essential in the outdoor/pool area (10%).

SouthVirginiaPool

Silver Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
Chesapeake, Virginia
I got 2 bottles as well for backup (Walmart had a limit). And they didn't have any in the pool section. Let us know if there is any unusual foam or bubbles when you add it, but I didn't see anything concerning on my labels either (no softeners, fragrances etc)

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
Check Lowe's in the garden section. They sell Chem Tek 10% liquid chlorine for around $6.86 per case (2 gallons). You might have better luck with that because the hoarders who are buying up all the bleach don't know that liquid chlorine is the same thing only stronger.

Reactions: GDN

dethnode

Apr 23, 2020
arkansas
just called my 2 local pool stores, neither carry liquid chlorine because the shelf life is only a month... they of course carry the granuals that likely have trichlor in them

My local home depot and lowes doesn't have the liquid chlorine

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Shelf life is longer than a month, but if they don't sell a lot of it it would go bad, whereas the granulated chlorine won't lose potency over time. Do you have any other hardware stores near you? Ace, Menards, Farm & Fleet are hardware chains up here in the Midwest that carry liquid chlorine too.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Dollar general might have bleach but from what I've heard it's reaaaally dilluted, like 3% or less, so it's not that great. Check with Ace - ours has some up here, but it could be regional.

Not sure on the tractor supply store. If you call, tell them you're looking for liquid pool shock or liquid chlorinating liquid - sodium hypochlorite is the main ingredient and it would be 10% or 12.5% if meant for pools.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Here's the stuff from Walmart that we recommend if you can get it, much better price than the Ace stuff if it's available:

Make sure you check the dates on the bottles. They should have a 5-digit number printed on them for when they were made - something like 20090. That means year 20, 90th day of the year. If it starts with 19 at this point I'd be concerned.