Is this sand ok?

According to user posts over the years, that particular brand has had some consistency issues, which may or may not have been locally limited due to it being produced at several places across the country. The brand has been very friendly in working with us to clarify aspects of their product, and I give their customer service high marks, but at this time, can't say they are a safe bet for pool sand, in my opinion. If you do buy it, before you fill the filter, pour some on a piece of paper and measure/photo and post for feedback/approval.

Here is my favorite thread comparing/explaining sand options:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/103421-My-findings-on-how-not-all-sand-is-created-equal.

I'm not nearly as experienced as others here, but I used that same Quikrete Pool Filter Sand (purchased from Lowe's in May 2017) in my 575-lb. sand filter, and I've had no problems. I did as BattleOfYakima suggests and poured some out on white paper to check its size. IIRC, all of my bags had the same batch/production number on them, so after I checked the first couple, I was confident they were all going to be consistent.

I do remember seeing a post here in the summer of either 2015 or 2016 where a member was helping a friend with their pool, purchased Quikrete Pool Filter Sand, and the bags were apparently filled with Play Sand. That caused lots of heartburn, as play sand is much, much finer than pool filter sand. It came right out the returns and stayed suspended in the water for weeks (months?). I remember it took them quite awhile to figure out the cause of the cloudiness, and then took another couple of weeks to clear it all up -- running the pump for a while, then shutting it off to allow the sand to settle, then vacuuming to waste.

EDIT: Found that thread I was talking about, in case you're bored and/or enjoy horror stories: Helping a friend: This should be a good one. Turns out the previous owner had filled the filter with play sand, then couldn't clear the water up, and probably gave up on it.

I used a similar sand this year at opening and had all kinds of filtering issues.
I read the fine print on the back and it was to be used "WITH" silica sand.
Running the filter basically pumped 20 lbs of sand into my pool over time. Took me forever to clear it up.
I bought plain old $1.99/ bag play sand and put that in my filter. Deep washed it with a hose until the water ran clear out of top of filter. Back washed and rinsed. Pool has been crystal clear ever since. I'll never buy "pool filter sand" ever again.

I used a similar sand this year at opening and had all kinds of filtering issues.
I read the fine print on the back and it was to be used "WITH" silica sand.
Running the filter basically pumped 20 lbs of sand into my pool over time. Took me forever to clear it up.
I bought plain old $1.99/ bag play sand and put that in my filter. Deep washed it with a hose until the water ran clear out of top of filter. Back washed and rinsed. Pool has been crystal clear ever since. I'll never buy "pool filter sand" ever again.

I'm really not sure how to respond to this, as it goes against everything I've ever read and/or heard.

In case you didn't read that whole thread I shared, I'll share my favorite part:
I will email my friend who is a production engineer with Pentair filters. He should be able to shed some light.
From a pentair filtration engineer...
The sieve size data that is being described in the thread is correct. Any #20 silica sand is our recommendation. From the pictures, it does look like the HTH sand is a bit coarse and the quikrete looks a bit on the small side, although probably ok. Its impossible to really tell without actually running it through a sieve.

We typically use US Silica Mystic White II sand here for all of our testing. It may not be readily available at Ace/Home Depot though. In general, I’d recommend getting your pool sand from a pool supply store and not a hardware store as they are far more likely to stand behind what they sell than a big box store but I can appreciate how a lot of forum members are trying to save a buck or two by having more in depth knowledge.
My takeaway from that is it really does make sense to buy from a pool store....the Big Box stores simply do not care.

The Mystic White® II brand Pool Filter Sand looks like it would be a good choice.

It has various effective sizes. Listed are
"Effective Size - .49 mm, .65 mm or .80 mm. (Other sizes available on request)"
It seems that some laterals might have slightly larger openings than others. For Intex, a larger sand might work better. If one wanted to get better filtration without having sand wash through the laterals, they might start with a larger effective size and then switch to a smaller effective size near the top.

I believe this might be the manufacture website: http://www.ussilica.com/isp/filtration/

This looks like an Amazon listing to it: https://www.amazon.com/Mystic-White-Swimming-Pool-Filter/dp/B00VSNUO6S

If you do buy on Amazon, please use Amazon Smile in my signature. If you buy it somewhere else, please share where and how much!

If you just want something local, HTH #20 pool sand seems like the most reliable commonly available option at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope. Not at all anymore. The first 3 bags I put in this year were marked pool filter sand. It was too fine and blew right through the lateral and into the pool. Vac to waste and it was in the yard.
Refilled filter with play sand and the fine sand blended, fine sand on top. Deep washed the sand until clear. Restart filter and pool had no sand, no sand in sock and water is crystal clear now.

Play sand should never be used in a sandfilter. The very small particles will slip through the laterals, and what does not end up in the pool will end up trapped in the Multi-Port valve, damaging the spider gasket and/or gasket housing.

We DO NOT recommend anything other than #20 silica sand specifically for sandfilters.

In my situation, it is exactly opposite. I cleaned the play sand, thoroughly. None passed through the laterals.
The "pool filter sand" did pass through the lateral.
In my situation, using a blend of both types worked perfectly. I have not had any issues at all. Rinsing thoroughly after a backwash, clearing the sight glass of all debris has been my practice so far.

I used that exact product on two new sand filters last year. No issues for me. Got it at Home Depot. I poured it in, did a 2-minute backflush and then set to filter. I can't say anything about other's QC issues but the price was right and it works for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.