Is this mustard algae?

Seems to have more of the look of iron. Are you on a well? Do you have any staining or similar areas around the pool? Maybe test a spot with some crushed Vitamin C tablets in a sock for a reaction?

If it's iron, IDK where it's coming from. City water, never use an iron based algaecide, only algaecide i ever use is some Poly60 at closing.

We keep a mat under the steps when they are in. Under there, the liner looks new. The rest of it all has some equal yellowing, IDK if it's sun, algae stain, copper stain, normal wear (we've lived here 6 years and it was here before us). It's not bad, you likely wouldn't even notice unless i moved the steps/mat.

I seem to have flair ups every year when it get HOT, have one going now, looks exactly like you took ground mustard (the spice) and sprinkled it on the bottom of the pool where the water slows due to steps (if they're in) or just in normal patters of water circulation. But it looks exactly like ground mustard spice.

The 2 pics i posted were actually taken at the BEGINNING of the year, when I first uncovered. First time I'd ever seen it when first uncovered.

Always do the regular TFP process, do the full SLAM process to a T. Things always improve. Sometimes will get green algae outbreaks and we get those taken care of without much trouble. It's not a difficult process. But this stuff is different, it comes back, where as the green doesn't. I have NOT gone through the mustard algae SLAM process. If we decide that this is M-A, I'll just deal with it at the end of the season. No reason to ruin the last 3 weeks of the season. If I take the solar off now, by the time we finish treating and put it back on, season will be over.

Which is a side question, how do you sanitize your solar cover without wrecking it? Can't leave it on during a M-A slam without eating it. Just bought it this season so i dno't want to pitch it already.

- - - Updated - - -

What does your water look like? Can you post current test results?

Maybe a little dull but can see bottom no problem. See reply to mod, looks just like mustard spice on the bottom. NEVER anything on the sides. All current test results are normal TFP daily maintenance level. I'm not attacking it right now, just looking for someone to ID the problem before I go chasing a ghost.

Based on your additional comments, I might be inclined to look more at something organic as well. Especially since it seems to change (gets better and worse) at times. Not much time left in this season, but if/when you do decide to treat, the process isn't much different. You would still SLAM Process, but then once you pass all 3 criteria you would increase the FC to the correct MA level for 24 hours as noted in PoolMath.

If that doesn't work and you feel suspicious about the water supply, keep in mind some local water supplies have iron in their water. Even some old homes around the country have been know to have antiquated plumbing that is leaching metals. Maybe take a look at your water district's annual water report for trace metals, and/or even have a pool AND hose sample tested at the pool store to see if they show any iron. Algaecides usually produce copper. Hopefully you don't have to worry about any of those, but may be something to think about later.

Based on your additional comments, I might be inclined to look more at something organic as well. Especially since it seems to change (gets better and worse) at times. Not much time left in this season, but if/when you do decide to treat, the process isn't much different. You would still SLAM Process, but then once you pass all 3 criteria you would increase the FC to the correct MA level for 24 hours as noted in PoolMath.

If that doesn't work and you feel suspicious about the water supply, keep in mind some local water supplies have iron in their water. Even some old homes around the country have been know to have antiquated plumbing that is leaching metals. Maybe take a look at your water district's annual water report for trace metals, and/or even have a pool AND hose sample tested at the pool store to see if they show any iron. Algaecides usually produce copper. Hopefully you don't have to worry about any of those, but may be something to think about later.

Thanks Texas. A couple interesting items and comment:

There is definitely a better/worse/better cycle involved, definitely sun/temp related. Having the steps in/out certainly makes a difference, but that's not a surprise either. Stuff hides up there, pretty impossible to clean all those nooks/crannies so just have to make do and deal, but during a vacation I know to take them out to try to help circulation.

I had not yet read the M-A SLAM process, other than to know it uses much higher FC numbers. I did NOT realize you do regular SLAM, do normal 3 criteria, THEN go to M-A SLAM level and only for 24 hours. I hadn't tried it yet so it doesn't matter yet (I.E. hadn't screwed one up yet), but did find that interesting and am happy to have learned that.

I would NOT be surprised to find a little iron in our water. House built in 1960. Will occasionally see some cloudy tap water in toilet after a big storm or water purge or something. Again I don't think it's bad/lots but just with things I've seen through the years, wouldn't surprise me to find some. I'm not sure I have a reliable pool store around here to do water tests for me, but I'll try to follow up with the city water people.

Does a little iron staining really matter if it's not bothering me? I'm not one of the people on "Pool Masters" or whatever on TV with the amazing set ups who's entire life revolves around having a nice pool to entertain friends. If it's safe for my kids, it's good enough for me.

Again, only algaecide I've ever used is the Poly-60 recommended at TFP.

LET ME ASK THIS...I notice neither you or Duraleigh are willing to use pictures to say it is or isn't M-A. In perusing an additional thread or two on M-A, I don't see anyone else ever willing to make a confident positive identification either. Not trying to bash the great help here at TFP, but am I crazy to feel like no one is capable of identifying M-A via picture? I'm a visual person, my eyes see more letters on the eye chart than I'm supposed to, but I can't hear a lick. So I just naturally make decisions by trusting my eyes. Again, no offense to anyone, I am just surprised those 2 pics weren't enough for people to say "Yep that's it" or "no we're confident that is actually _____". Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This might be noteworty - Past day or 2 = lots of clouds, and I don't have any/much debris/ground mustard spice on the bottom today. Couple days previous had LOTS of sun, and thus lots of debris/ground mustard spice showed up on bottom.

Does a little iron staining really matter if it's not bothering me?
Nope. :wink:

As for the pics, it's not that we aren't willing to confirm via pics. In some cases it's very easy. Based on the pics of the filter above, I'm not convinced of MA yet, that's why I was asking about iron. The https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae page also provides more details. But in general, MA tends to hold on to those shady areas along a pool or bottom, and it can be quite stubborn to remove. Not so easy to disturb like your standard green variety. Mustard yellow color alone is not definitive either as some varieties have similar shades, so it can be a bit of a challenge ID'ing it then positively eliminating it.

You are correct about the ladders. Very challenging. I know some people will drill a hole or two in the steps just to inject chlorine into them periodically.

But in general, MA tends to hold on to those shady areas along a pool or bottom, and it can be quite stubborn to remove. Not so easy to disturb like your standard green variety.

Interesting. The stuff I find on the mat that sits under the steps, some of that takes a brush to scrub off...but everything I see sitting on the bottom i more of a blotchy powder and is easily disturbed/dispersed.

Interesting. The stuff I find on the mat that sits under the steps, some of that takes a brush to scrub off...but everything I see sitting on the bottom i more of a blotchy powder and is easily disturbed/dispersed.
That specific instance doesn't sound like iron as iron stains won't disperse easily. But iron in low enough concentrations, and when chemical conditions are correct, can precipitate a bit and be caught in the filter which is what I was thinking your pics may be showing. While we typically see MA conditions along a shady area and such, perhaps you are seeing remnants of MA only because in the past SLAM you weren't aware of the 24 period to increase the FC. You might also consider approaching the discoloration from both angles, experiment with treatments of each to see if you can confirm which is actually is. Pass regular SLAM then increase to MA level for 24 hrs and also test some staining with Vitamin C tablets for changes.

That specific instance doesn't sound like iron as iron stains won't disperse easily. But iron in low enough concentrations, and when chemical conditions are correct, can precipitate a bit and be caught in the filter which is what I was thinking your pics may be showing. While we typically see MA conditions along a shady area and such, perhaps you are seeing remnants of MA only because in the past SLAM you weren't aware of the 24 period to increase the FC. You might also consider approaching the discoloration from both angles, experiment with treatments of each to see if you can confirm which is actually is. Pass regular SLAM then increase to MA level for 24 hrs and also test some staining with Vitamin C tablets for changes.

OK a couple things...

1) I'm not familiar with the vitamin C test, can you give me the cliffnotes/background?

2) Yeah what I'm seeing on the bottom isn't iron. Only question is if it's standard dead algae or dead mustard algae. I'll try to get a pic next time I have a bunch on the bottom before i vacuum.

3) Any discoloration that I see looks like "sun fade" or like the little bit of yellowing you might see with white boat seats on an older boat that doens't get covered any more. That discoloration doesn't come off (well I haven't tried special stuff like the vitamin C or stain remover, etc) - it's totally seperate from the stuff in those filter pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not familiar with the vitamin C test, can you give me the cliffnotes/background?
The Vitamin C is basically ascorbic acid and used to test for and remove iron. So if you ever felt the need to test a stained area for iron, that's how you do it. As for the stuff on the bottom, dead algae would be more gray/white. If it has color to it I would suspect it's alive.

The Vitamin C is basically ascorbic acid and used to test for and remove iron. So if you ever felt the need to test a stained area for iron, that's how you do it. As for the stuff on the bottom, dead algae would be more gray/white. If it has color to it I would suspect it's alive.

So this is what I have collecting on the bottom right now. Previous couple days had been pretty cloudy and only low 80s so it wasn't as bad today as it had been a couple days ago.

bottom crud.JPG

Hi Hiesman84,

That last pic looks like a fine algae bloom to me. Have you read up in pool school? You will want to follow the SLAM process to clear that up.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear...this is what I have going on now, and when i wash out the filter, it's green - I defintely have a traditional bloom going right now, no question, have had lots of them, know what to do, etc.

Likely unrelated to the gunk in the first 2 pics, though this stuff on the bottom is the same color, but washes out of the filter green. Stuff in filter pics from the beginning of the year was this color and washed out this color. Not sure if connected or what. Even my regular green outbreaks never seem to turn white when dead, as many suggest it should/does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.