Is phosphate treatment my final answer???

View attachment 423284

You GET it. You really get it. :hug:
The happiness this brings me is not measurable. I was miserable and clueless seeking guidance on from high schoolers working at the pool store. Wish I had found TFP so much sooner.

Wish I had found TFP so much sooner.
Speaking of........ wanna know how I landed here ? I wad told to acid bath my SWG for 15 mins at the middle and end of the season. It soaked for 3.25 hours in straight acid over its lifespan and died with 6k hours showing. I learned on day 2 how to check it and why it likely died.

So yeah. When we say we were in your shoes. We were in your *actual* shoes. ;)

That pool store's advice ruined my liner :( My CYA and pH/TA were SO wrong my liner "dry rotted" with water in it :shock: My toe found something on the bottom of the liner one afternoon. I played with it and the whole bottom of my liner started cracking open!! I made it to the side of the pool just before all 25,600 gallons of water rushed out. THAT was when I found TFP!

That pool store's advice ruined my liner :( My CYA and pH/TA were SO wrong my liner "dry rotted" with water in it :shock: My toe found something on the bottom of the liner one afternoon. I played with it and the whole bottom of my liner started cracking open!! I made it to the side of the pool just before all 25,600 gallons of water rushed out. THAT was when I found TFP!
That must have been terrifying!!

So we are about 2.5 hours in…

Water is a bit cloudy but nothing crazy. My filters normal PSI reading when clean is about 14 (a bit higher if I have the Polaris running but I don’t for this). So far it has crept up to 18 and indicates for me to backwash at a PSI of 25.

Should I wait for that moment or do it in a few hours before turning in for the evening?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool has all but cleared from the cloudiness this morning and filter is at 22 PSI. Probably will backwash and add back DE later this morning.

At what point would we consider phosphate treatment “complete” and want to try and reboot the SWG? I was thinking after todays backwash we give it another full day of filtering to see where the pressure reading is at and if we need another backwash.

Thoughts?

Pool has all but cleared from the cloudiness this morning and filter is at 22 PSI. Probably will backwash and add back DE later this morning.

At what point would we consider phosphate treatment “complete” and want to try and reboot the SWG? I was thinking after todays backwash we give it another full day of filtering to see where the pressure reading is at and if we need another backwash.

Thoughts?
It will have worked when the phosphate test shows it worked. If it’s clear it’s a good time to test.

It will have worked when the phosphate test shows it worked. If it’s clear it’s a good time to test.
So!! Here is the kicker…I do not have a phosphate test. I feel like this experiment all came together pretty quickly and when we addressed “should I get my own phosphate test?” earlier in the thread, we weren’t there yet or even sure if I was gonna go through with it. I guess we should have revisited this topic but alas…

So, since we started with pool store numbers, should I just take a sample back to the pool store to evaluate results? I know…the horror.

Reactions: Orion7319
Morning update:

Water was clear and filter showed PSI of 22 so I backwashed. That was quite the experience! I thought the sight glass would never clear and actually stopped at one point to redirect my hose. Once that was complete, went back to filter mode and added DE through skimmer. PSI is now at it’s usual 14 and will monitor that regularly.

I lost a good bit of water so have the garden hose in the pool now.

FC this morning is 10. Once I get my water level back up and it mixes in a bit, I’ll test the water again for CYA and salt, then head to the ((cringe…gulp)) pool store ((shivers)) to see what the phosphate reading is.

Really hoping as soon as I post this someone hasn’t responded with suggestion to do something entirely different haha.

Morning update:

Water was clear and filter showed PSI of 22 so I backwashed. That was quite the experience! I thought the sight glass would never clear and actually stopped at one point to redirect my hose. Once that was complete, went back to filter mode and added DE through skimmer. PSI is now at it’s usual 14 and will monitor that regularly.

I lost a good bit of water so have the garden hose in the pool now.

FC this morning is 10. Once I get my water level back up and it mixes in a bit, I’ll test the water again for CYA and salt, then head to the ((cringe…gulp)) pool store ((shivers)) to see what the phosphate reading is.

Really hoping as soon as I post this someone hasn’t responded with suggestion to do something entirely different haha.
Sounds like a good plan.

If they don’t show a drop I would get my own phosphate test at that point. It’s pretty cheap on Amazon but obviously would take a few days to get.

So, since we started with pool store numbers, should I just take a sample back to the pool store to evaluate results? I know…the horror.

I think that if you're trying to backup a warranty claim, that makes even more sense. "See, a POOL STORE (potentially one of their dealers?) said it was clear."

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I expect that the phosphates dropped. The water cloudiness and the filter show the phosphate emover did something. I would not worry about the phosphate level now or bother to get a phosphate test kit.

Tonight after sunset measure the FC and turn the SWG on at 100%. If the phosphates made a difference and the SWG is now working there should be a substantial FC increase in the morning.

You can run the SWG tomorrow during the day and see if the SWG holds the FC level or you get a FC loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.