Is it time to switch from a single spend pump to a variable speed?

For my money, Pentair Intellipro VSF IS THE WAY TO GO. Pricey but worth it.

there are other brands/models to consider. For me the Intellipro gives you reliability, dependabilty, ease of use and integrates very nicely into Pentair automation, if available.

I run mine @900rpm (48 watts of power), 24x7x365 and run SWG as low % (5-15% depending on time of season) as required to get to my target FC, ramp up for features, high speed skimming, water fall, vacuuming.

Reactions: stingwray
I think the Freudian typo in your thread's title question answers itself! Electricity costs are going to continue to rise. Time to switch to VS. I like my IntelliFlo. The brand of your pump should match the brand of your automation controller. If you think you'll ever want to add automation, research and shop for both now, so you have a master plan, even if you only buy the pump at this point.

Consider saving and storing your existing pump, instead of dumping it. Having a backup pump is prudent. I regret selling mine...

Last edited:
For my money, Pentair Intellipro VSF IS THE WAY TO GO. Pricey but worth it.

there are other brands/models to consider. For me the Intellipro gives you reliability, dependabilty, ease of use and integrates very nicely into Pentair automation, if available.

I run mine @900rpm (48 watts of power), 24x7x365 and run SWG as low % (5-15% depending on time of season) as required to get to my target FC, ramp up for features, high speed skimming, water fall, vacuuming.
Would your salt system even kick on at 900rpm? I don’t know I’m asking because I’m getting a vs soon and I’d love to run mine like that.

Yup, I’ve validated that SWG is functional at that RPM. in fact I’m able to ramp down to about 850 rpm but at that rate, the SWG sensor will not stay closed reliably.

Yup, I’ve validated that SWG is functional at that RPM. in fact I’m able to ramp down to about 850 rpm but at that rate, the SWG sensor will not stay closed reliably.
Awesome. I have a single speed pump 2hp right now and my bill is at least $150 more a month running it. I had it running 8-10 hours depending on daylight in nj and my swg on 40-60% consistently. If I could run my 24/7 on low that would be great

How low an RPM setting you can get away with and still have reliable SWG function is going to be different for each pool. Turbulence on the flow switch, caused by the plumbing configuration just in front of it, along with the sensitivity of the switch itself, are some of the factors. And how low you can go might change throughout the week, month or year. As your skimmer and pump baskets fill, or as your filter gets dirty, flow through your plumbing will decrease, which could affect the flow switch. You will certainly be able to run your pump waaaaay lower, and save a bunch of money, but don't do the math with 900 RPM just yet. @csconner's got it golden. Others here have reported 1200RPM or more. I can't seem to get mine to work well under 1500 RPM...

Reactions: BowserB and Liz315
Beyond satisfying your SWG at the lowest operating cost possible, a VS pump offers lots of other niceties, too. Maybe you will be able to get away with running your pump at <1000 RPM 24/7. But maybe that's not quite enough oomph to stir up the water enough to get all the "cloudy bits" into the skimmer or drain. Maybe to really polish the water you have to crank it up a bit. And then a bit more to get those floating leaves out of the corner where they collect. That might be three different RPM settings. That's no problem for a VS pump with its on-board controller! You can have it all.

You can set schedules with different RPM rates, and modify those seasonally as needed. 1000 RPM for 12 hours. Maybe three of those hours get ramped up to 1800 to polish the water. Then another hour at 2500 RPM to really get the surface moving to collect up all those leaves. Just one example, the possibilities are endless and you can really fine tune them just for your pool. Or adjust them seasonally: like adding another hour of extra RPMs during pollen season.

VS pumps can save a lot of money, of course, but they can also really improve your water quality while doing it.

Beyond satisfying your SWG at the lowest operating cost possible, a VS pump offers lots of other niceties, too. Maybe you will be able to get away with running your pump at <1000 RPM 24/7. But maybe that's not quite enough oomph to stir up the water enough to get all the "cloudy bits" into the skimmer or drain. Maybe to really polish the water you have to crank it up a bit. And then a bit more to get those floating leaves out of the corner where they collect. That might be three different RPM settings. That's no problem for a VS pump with its on-board controller! You can have it all.

You can set schedules with different RPM rates, and modify those seasonally as needed. 1000 RPM for 12 hours. Maybe three of those hours get ramped up to 1800 to polish the water. Then another hour at 2500 RPM to really get the surface moving to collect up all those leaves. Just one example, the possibilities are endless and you can really fine tune them just for your pool. Or adjust them seasonally: like adding another hour of extra RPMs during pollen season.

VS pumps can save a lot of money, of course, but they can also really improve your water quality while doing it.
Wow. Sold!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so another $1500?
Installed price can vary wildly, depending on if you can DIY or if you have it done. The warranty varies wildly, too, so before you think about trying it yourself, be sure you understand how the warranty works. Each brand has their own way of dealing with that.

Some here know how to do the math for ROI on VS vs SS, based on your electrical unit cost. They do pay for themselves after a while.

Installed price can vary wildly, depending on if you can DIY or if you have it done. The warranty varies wildly, too, so before you think about trying it yourself, be sure you understand how the warranty works. Each brand has their own way of dealing with that.

My SS motor doesn’t have much longer to live. I can hear the bearings. Circupool recommended the motor below. $1500. But, it seems as though the Intellipro is the favorite so I’ll probably just go with that. Looking forward to it.

CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump - 3.0 THP​

For all of you saying to switch to VS (which we def want to), would you do it if your pump was only 3 years old? The old owners of our house replaced our pool pump before we closed instead of giving us a credit 😡 and it's a single speed.

For all of you saying to switch to VS (which we def want to), would you do it if your pump was only 3 years old? The old owners of our house replaced our pool pump before we closed instead of giving us a credit 😡 and it's a single speed.
Not likely, unless your electrical cost is very high. Most VS pumps can be run at 300W or less. A SS pump is 1kW per hp.

Not likely, unless your electrical cost is very high. Most VS pumps can be run at 300W or less. A SS pump is 1kW per hp.
Thanks for the reply! We do have high electric bills but in the process of getting solar to hopefully offset that. I'll prob keep this pump for a couple years (especially with the prices of pumps nowadays) and maybe change it out in a few years.

If you have a good 1 speed pump you could do what I did and just change the motor to VS.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.