Is it time to replace pump?

I think its time to say good bye. Pool pumps are generally built to a price point. Expectation is they will last no more than 10 years. Tripping panel breaker is probably a short in the motor, could be a whole raft of other stuff...but at 9 years old I wouldn't bother fixing it.

Thank you for the response Spa Owner

The breaker worked fine throughout the night, only tripping after the pump had been activated for several minutes. I cleaned out the impeller, not much in there and tried again. It tripped after 5 minutes....reset again and is currently performing normally-running for close to an hour thus far.

Can any of this confirm it is a pump issue rather than breaker?

Replacing the breaker is cheaper then replacing a pump. A non-GFCI breaker costs abiut $20 and a GFCI breaker costs around $80.

If i am guessing i start by replacing the lowest cost parts first and work up.

- - - Updated - - -

The breaker worked fine throughout the night, only tripping after the pump had been activated for several minutes.

What else is connected to the breaker that worked through the night?

Does the breaker trip on pump start or does the pump really run for a “few” minutes before the breaker trip?

Sounds more like a weak breaker. I would replace the breaker first. Is it a GFCI breaker?

No GFCI, those trip at a sneeze! The breaker is 9 years old, don't know what the typical lifespan is. Replacing it requires an electrician, probably $110+, as I don't do this myself. However, it probably needs replacing soon enough anyway?

ajw22, my thoughts are if it was an overheating issue it would have once again by now? (pump is still running) If it were a short in the pump, do those behave intermittently? Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There isn't anything else connected to this breaker. The pump runs for 5-15 minutes before the breaker trips. It has currently been running for approx 90+ minutes, like yesterday never happened :)
This is one of two things:
-a dodgy thermistor in the pump
-Pump winding at the end of its life

In either event its a cost/life trade off as to what to do. Looking at the prices I can see online a single speed pump looks like the most expensive 1 hp would be something like $700.

At $700 its lasted 9 years being a cost of $77.78 a year. If you ran the pump 4 hours a day for 6 months of the year that comes to 728 hours a year or $0.10 cents an hour. Is it really too much to suggest this pump may not be worth mucking about with?

What other mechanical item do we purchase for that sort of price, use that often and keep for that long?

I agree that my pump has been good to me. What I would like to avoid is paying a premium for both service call and equipment due to an emergency call. In the desert summer heat, the pool pump is second only to AC. It goes out and you pay any price to get it up and running again.

Really doesn't take a specialized pool service to replace a pump motor. It can be done by a handy electrician or a handyman. Look on the pump for a label which will give you all the information to get a replacement motor.

If you can find and electrician who can replace the motor and CB in one call then just do it.

Thank Allen, I didn't know that.

After cleaning out a full pump basket and a few pieces of debris from the impeller (turned easily before cleaning) everything is working fine. Off and on numerous times without tripping. Odd

Palm,
You will never learn to DIY if you will not make an attempt to encourage yourself. The first experience is always the hardest but the most rewarding. I learned how to plumbed my VS pump and SWCG by watching youtube videos.

I am guessing you have a 1 hp 220v motor on a 2 pole 20A CB. An intermittent problem is challenging and I know you claimed electrical work is beyond your pay grade. With the pump off, try to wiggle the flexible tubing going to the motor just to rule out the integrity of the electrical wires. Next, turn off the incoming AC to the CB or sub-pnl if any, then make sure the electrical connections are tight and secure. A clamp ammeter will certainly help in this case but you need to engage an electrician.

If the motor is determined the cause of the intermittent CB tripping then I can see a 2-speed or a VS pump in your future. I replaced our 17 yr old Hayward 1 hp filter pump that just won’t die with a VS pump and our monthly electrical bill always put a smile on my face, since.

Due to CA Energy Commission Regulatory Advisory, the only options available for you is a 2-speed or a VS motor. Currently, there is $200 rebates being offered by SCE should you choose the latter. Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask questions if in doubt.

Thank you Meadow, I have found youtube educational in many DIY jobs. Electrical intimidates me a bit, I'm just getting used to replacing my light switches :)

Update: Electrician checked voltage and amps and they were spot-on. He replaced the breaker and tightened various connections. The old breaker was very hot upon removal, so I am hoping this was the issue.

I appreciate all of the helpful responses, this forum is an incredible resource, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.