Hayward Powerflow Matrix tripping breaker

Aug 7, 2011
Lafayette, La
Hello all, my 2012 Hayward pump for my 21 foot above ground pool started tripping my breaker yesterday after years of running fine. It runs for about 3-5 then trips breaker. I checked all my wiring from my shed to outdoor covered plug and discovered that the plug was sooted and the recep was totally bad. So I decided to cut off the plug and wire it direct to my 12/2 with ground wire feed. That didn’t work still trips breaker after a few minutes. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking the windings may now be bad in the motor and that about the capacitor but it’s not just humming it actually starts and runs. Any help much appreciated.

Is the pump motor making any sort of grinding or screeching noise? Bad bearings will increase the current load on the motor and trip the breaker.

Also, interference in the pump impeller could do the same. Make sure nothing is stuck in the impeller inlet.

Hello all, my 2012 Hayward pump for my 21 foot above ground pool started tripping my breaker yesterday after years of running fine. It runs for about 3-5 then trips breaker. I checked all my wiring from my shed to outdoor covered plug and discovered that the plug was sooted and the recep was totally bad. So I decided to cut off the plug and wire it direct to my 12/2 with ground wire feed. That didn’t work still trips breaker after a few minutes. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking the windings may now be bad in the motor and that about the capacitor but it’s not just humming it actually starts and runs. Any help much appreciated.
A 12-year-old above ground motor that is tripping the breaker should just be replaced. Those thru-bolt motors, though, cost about the same as a new PowerFlo Matrix pump. By the time you get the required seal and O ring/gaskets, a new pump is probably the better option.
The best option would be to consider a Waterway PD140 VSP for a bit more at Pool Supply Unlimited (no connection, just a place I have used). It will run on 120v.