Is it really necessary to brush the pool?

poolnovice1

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2018
Houston, TX
Maintaining my pool has gotten so much easier since I found TFT. It's almost too boring now :)

I thought I would see what would happen if I stopped my weekly brushing I still have no algae after a month, even with the Texas heat. I understand that as long as your chlorine is at an adequate level based on your CYA, algae cannot grow. So is there any point in brushing?

Algae develops a biofilm that protects it from chlorine. Brushing breaks the biofilm and let's the chlorine be effective.

You can try and go without brushing and see how long it works.

If you ask why do you see signs of algae when you are maintaining the recommended FC levels the answer will be lack of brushing.

Brush now or SLAM later. Your choice.

I have a robotic cleaner that climbs the walls. I do still get the brush out for the tops of the stairs or the sun shelf just to sweep the bugs and whatnot to the main pool bottom so the robot can get them the next time it runs. I get the brush out for about 5 minutes a week to handle that.

When I need to realign my numbers, like when I am getting it ready for the summer, I do sometimes need to brush in baking soda or salt or something like that. But that's about once a year for about 15 minutes.

Reactions: Orion7319
I've only brushed the walls in my pool a couple times since we bought our house in December. The pool looked fine. I just did it because it seemed like something a pool owner does. I didn't realize brushing breaks a biofilm.

I've thoroughly brushed the walls of my pool maybe 3 times since we moved in the place back in February. I do brush off the "sunning ledge"/steps regularly since they tend to collect debris the Polaris doesn't get. I should probably be more diligent on it, but nothing has happened yet.

About 5 years right now.
The op has a gunite pool with more “texture” than vinyl - i find I rarely need to brush my vinyl pool except for the unsightly wrinkles/crevices in my liner & my steps that my robot can’t clean. Before I had a bot with an active brush that climbed the walls, i had to brush my walls regularly (mainly at the waterline).

I really only pull out the brush because I get impatient waiting for salt to dissolve. Or adding Borax... But I do feel FG pools have an advantage. I did have to brush my AG vinyl liner occasionally, but I wasn't TFP aware back then either.

Algae develops a biofilm that protects it from chlorine. Brushing breaks the biofilm and let's the chlorine be effective.

You can try and go without brushing and see how long it works.

If you ask why do you see signs of algae when you are maintaining the recommended FC levels the answer will be lack of brushing.

Brush now or SLAM later. Your choice.
Ah, okay makes sense. Guess I'll stick with my weekly routine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve a pool robot which climbs the walls but what fun is that? I whip out the pole and whale brush, do the walls all around the pool and the tanning ledge. Now that it’s hot, after the tanning ledge I jump in the pool and do the floor. I love it…. Now that makes it fun.

I'll say you SHOULD brush your pool frequently.

However, I'll also say I've brushed mine once, maybe twice a year over the past 5 years (maybe a few more times the first few years we were here) because I'm busy, lazy, and dislike brushing the pool. I'm careful about the chlorine levels, always well above the minimum, and have never had an algae issue. Not saying it's a good idea, just a data point

We had a Polaris 280 (which would climb the walls but didn't brush, and now have a Dolphin Explorer E30 that climbs and brushes the walls so I don't have to feel guilty about not doing so.

I like to get those MyteeMitt gloves on and just float around the pool polishing up the walls by just rubbing them top down as far as I can reach. They remove all water stains, water line scum and any possible algae.
Well, I've never *had* algae in 10 yrs so it works well for me. Oh yeah, the robot scrubs away too!

Maddie :flower:

This is my 5th summer with my pool. The only time I brush is after adding chemicals, and then only where they might pool. Knock on wood never had algae, so no biofilm to disturb. I do have a rosie the robot, so maybe her brushing is saving me.

I generally brush the walls while I’m in the pool - my kids say it’s like a big toothbrush 🪥.
Like The dentist says, “only brush the ones u want to keep!”🤣 This could definitely apply here too.
I kind of equate never brushing the pool & relying on the chlorine alone to never brushing your teeth & only using mouthwash 🤢

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.