Is it algae?

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I opened our pool when the water was still in the 40s and it was nice and clear.
I never vacuumed because it didn't seem like it needed it. I try to keep my FC between 2-4 ppm with a CYA of 20-30 and pH of 7.6. I know I should've vacuumed but I've had so much going on I just haven't. We get in the pool and stir it up and the bottom just hasn't been very dirty.

I've noticed the cove and just above the cove looking dirty recently so I brushed it and it makes a small cloud of what I assumed was dirt, but I'm starting to think no. The pool floor could be better but isn't awful. I still haven't vacuumed this year and probably should. It seems to come off really easy like it's just laying there.

I've had the FC between 7 and 12 ppm for two days and it hasn't effected the cove. I raised the FC to 12 ppm Monday night and it had dropped to 7 ppm by Tuesday night. I'm pretty sure the "dirt" has a green tint to it.
Is it probably green algae and if so is it safe to vacuum and then backwash?

Taylor 2006
pH : 7.6
FC : 10
CC : 0.4-ish?
CYA : 30

We have a saying here at TFP .... "When life gets in the way - SLAM!" Or maybe I just made that up, I don't know. :) It happens. But now that pool care has gotten away from you it's time to make it right. Yes, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Lower your pH first to about 7.2 with muriatic acid, then maintain the FC of 12 as best as you can consistently until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Follow that SLAM link and you'll get past this. But make sure to clean all surfaces really well. Yes, vacuum and backwash when the filter pressure increases by 25%. If you have a ladder in the water, remove it. Steps too because they hold algae. With some TLC you should be back to normal soon. Good luck!

Reactions: cj133
We have a saying here at TFP .... "When life gets in the way - SLAM!" Or maybe I just made that up, I don't know. :) It happens. But now that pool care has gotten away from you it's time to make it right. Yes, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Lower your pH first to about 7.2 with muriatic acid, then maintain the FC of 12 as best as you can consistently until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Follow that SLAM link and you'll get past this. But make sure to clean all surfaces really well. Yes, vacuum and backwash when the filter pressure increases by 25%. If you have a ladder in the water, remove it. Steps too because they hold algae. With some TLC you should be back to normal soon. Good luck!

But is it likely green algae, or could it just be dirt settled on the cove and just above?
Does algae brush off like dust with no effort?

But is it likely green algae, or could it just be dirt settled on the cove and just above?
Does algae brush off like dust with no effort?
Algae can brush away easily into plumes and make the water look cloudy. Everything you noted above points towards algae to me, but you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you wish.

Algae can brush away easily into plumes and make the water look cloudy. Everything you noted above points towards algae to me, but you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you wish.

So,
about a week ago I vacuumed the pool after having my FC between 7 and 12 PPM for 2 days. I know, not really SLAM conditions but I didn't feel like doing things the right way. Boy, that sounds worse when I type it.

Anyway, a week later the issue is back, but I still wonder if it's from mulch on the kids feet etc.....

So I brought my FC up to 13.8-ish and the next morning it was 13.5. I then let it drift down because I wanted to watch it's behavior. Last night I tested 6.8 PPM and this morning 10 hours later I tested 6.6 ppm.

Is there any way my water is perfectly clear, and always has been, and my FC is dropping this slowly, and yet I still have algae? Or is it likely dye from the mulch around the pool and the kids running thru it etc?

I also added some acid to bring my pH down from 7.6 to closer to 7.4., but that's going to take time to settle down. I tend to run it on the higher side and figured right now may not be the time for that in case I actually need to do a real SLAM.

Is there any way my water is perfectly clear, and always has been, and my FC is dropping this slowly, and yet I still have algae?
Seems unlikely. If you have anything discoloring or making the water look odd, it could be a filtration issue. When is the last time you opened-up that filter and did a deep cleaning of the sand?

Seems unlikely. If you have anything discoloring or making the water look odd, it could be a filtration issue. When is the last time you opened-up that filter and did a deep cleaning of the sand?

The water it self is fine, it's just the bottom edge ends up looking dirty after some time. Different than the bottom bottom, but that could also be from feet touching the bottom keeping things stirred up better.

Vacuuming gets rid of it easily. I've only vacuumed once this season. Didn't really see the need, but with the kids going in it every day, and thinking it's a good idea to run thru the black mulch maybe it's going to become an every weekend thing.

I started using the filter last year and I end up backwashing it once a month if that. Didn't think it needed a deep cleaning yet. I run around 4 PSI in low speed 99% of the time and it'll run around 14-15 PSI in high speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.