Is Adding a Return to AG pool a DIY project

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I have only one return and I would like to add a second and convert to PVC plumbing. I am comfortable with working with PVC, but have no experience with cutting a hole in the above ground pool and vinyl liner. Is this something that I can do or do I need to get a professional to punch the hole?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I will check to see if I can rent one first as I do not imagine I will need it for any other project. If I understand the process - I will lower the water to below the return level - Drill a "draw hole" of appropriate diameter through the liner and the wall and then use the hole punch to cut through it all. I guess the return fitting comes with a gasket. If this is all there is to it I don't see why I can't do it myself.

Thanks

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
It is pretty simple and the bonus of using a hole punch is that you get a perfectly round smooth hole in the liner.

The return comes with all the gaskets you need to install it correctly.

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
Bama Rambler said:
There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.
That'd be me. It's pretty simple. Pictures are here buying-a-used-agp-t16890-180.html 'bout half way down the page... The only difference is you will be going through the liner also. Have fun! :goodjob:

Don't forget to paint the exposed metal from the cut! Fingernail polish works.

Guess that wasn't me... I didn't add a second return. Just put one in.

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
Thanks Rob. Good photos and description. As soon as I finish a little deck and pool repair I will tackle the re-plumbing including adding the return.

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
I'm not sure you can rent just the size you need, but you should be able to rent a whole kit of different sizes for a few bucks. Maybe they'll part with just one, guess it depends on the rental shop.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
J Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG) 1
N Just Getting Started 6
sueasinsue Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing 10

Other Threads of Interest