Intex Pool Vacuum Keeps Stopping

tboggs2012

Apr 3, 2020
Sealy, Texas
I just recently bought the intex pool vacuum for my intex 12x24 above ground pool but it keeps stopping after only 5 mins of running. I don't have any wrinkles in the liner that it would be getting stuck on. My sand filter flow rate is 2,100 GPH. I also have the intex skimmer that attaches to the side of the pool.

I am attaching the hose to the vacuum to the pool inlet. I've seen a few people attach it to the pool outlet (removing the strainer grid). I'm trying to figure out the right way to install the vacuum so it stops stopping. Also, do I need to plug the outlet that the skimmer is hooked to while the vacuum is going to help with the flow to the vacuum?

I appreciate any advice as I am new to having a pool and I'm having trouble figuring this part out!

Is the Intex cleaner that you have the one with 4 wheels like this one....
If so, it is a pressure side cleaner, and gets hooked up to the outlet from your pump back into the pool.

Reactions: tboggs2012
If the automatic cleaner that was mentioned above is the one you have, then you definitely need to have it connected to the pressure side of your system... the side where water comes from the pump and into the pool.

However, unfortunately I’m afraid that your pump may be a bit small for that cleaner. The cleaner specifies a minimum flow rate of 1600gph. In your signature it says that you have a sand filter with a pump flow rate of 2100gph. Looking at the intex sand filter specs it looks like you have their 12” sand filter. While the 12” sand filter does have a pump flow rate of 2100gph it only has a system flow rate of 1600gph.

The pump flow rate is the amount of water the pump can move with no restrictions under ideal conditions. The system flow rate is the effective flow rate when the pump is pushing water through a clean sand filter. And your system flow rate is exactly equal to the minimum flow rate required for that auto cleaner.

As your sand filter starts filtering the water the flow will be restricted and the flow rate will decrease and it will not be enough to drive that auto cleaner. If you haven’t cleaned your filter in a while you could try to backflush the filter to clean the sand, which might help for a short time, but I suspect that it won’t last very long. In the end you really just need a bigger pump.

If the automatic cleaner that was mentioned above is the one you have, then you definitely need to have it connected to the pressure side of your system... the side where water comes from the pump and into the pool.

However, unfortunately I’m afraid that your pump may be a bit small for that cleaner. The cleaner specifies a minimum flow rate of 1600gph. In your signature it says that you have a sand filter with a pump flow rate of 2100gph. Looking at the intex sand filter specs it looks like you have their 12” sand filter. While the 12” sand filter does have a pump flow rate of 2100gph it only has a system flow rate of 1600gph.

The pump flow rate is the amount of water the pump can move with no restrictions under ideal conditions. The system flow rate is the effective flow rate when the pump is pushing water through a clean sand filter. And your system flow rate is exactly equal to the minimum flow rate required for that auto cleaner.

As your sand filter starts filtering the water the flow will be restricted and the flow rate will decrease and it will not be enough to drive that auto cleaner. If you haven’t cleaned your filter in a while you could try to backflush the filter to clean the sand, which might help for a short time, but I suspect that it won’t last very long. In the end you really just need a bigger pump.

Ahh, I did not realize the system flow rate is only 1600gph. Thank you for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.