Intellichlor ic40 blows fuse

ktyler

Jun 18, 2013
Southwest Louisiana
We had our pump replaced last week and after it was turned back on the intellichlor Ic40 now continues to blow a fuse and will not work. Could this be related to how the pump was hooked up? I have called the pool store that did it and they say it's not related, but it did not start doing this until the new pump was installed. The cell will be two years old in March of 2024. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Post some pictures on how it is hooked up.
How are you removing the power from the SWCG when the pump is not running? Your signature does not show an automation system.

Tyler,

Was your old pump connected to 120 Volts AC or 240 Volts AC??

Was your old pump a single speed pump?

Is your IntelliFlo connected to an Automation system or to a standalone IntelliChlor power center?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Post some pictures on how it is hooked up.
How are you removing the power from the SWCG when the pump is not running? Your signature does not show an automation system.
The company that installed my pool about 10 years ago is no longer in business and he has moved out of state. The pump we are replacing was a pentair intelliflo variable speed. It was all corroded and leaking water at the bottom. We replaced it with another pentair variable speed pump. The new pool place I called, I gave them the model number of my old pump which was 011018 and they replaced it with what they told me was the newer model. The pump and salt generator are on separate breakers in the box. My previous pump would run on speed 2 for 24 hours a day, that's how the person that installed it told me to do it. When we would turn it off to change filters, we have cartridge filters, the salt generator still had lights that flashed. Was it not supposed to have that?

I believe both the old and the new are connected to 240 volts.

We go not have an automation system, it's just a standalone intellichlor. we control the output on the top of intellichlor and then turn the pump on and off on the top of the pump. I have attached some photos of how it looks, let me know if you need anything else from me. Thank you guys for the help.

KIM TYLER

Attachments

• IMG_3352web.jpg
    IMG_3352web.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3353web.jpg
    IMG_3353web.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3354web.jpg
    IMG_3354web.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 8
Kim,

If you run the pump 24/7, then having constant power to the SWCG is not a big deal. When you turn off the pump for any maintenance you should also turn off the AC power to the Cell's Power Center.

Since the Pump and Cell do not share the same breaker, it is very doubtful that installing the pump had anything to do with the cell blowing the fuse. Although if they did not turn off the power to the cell, while they replaced the pump, the cell could have been damaged if the flow switch was also bad.

It appears that you have an old power center with an actually glass fuse... The whole fuse assembly is known to go bad. This will not pop the fuse, but it will make the fuse contacts intermittent. Are you sure the fuse actually blows? Did you test the "bad" fuse with an ohm meter to see if it was open?

As a test, disconnect the cell from the Power Center than turn the power on, and see if the Power Center still blows the fuse. If not, then power off, reconnect the cell, then turn the power back on and see if the fuse blows.

If the fuse blows, with the cell disconnected, then the surge card inside the Power Center is most likely bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kim,

If you run the pump 24/7, then having constant power to the SWCG is not a big deal. When you turn off the pump for any maintenance you should also turn off the AC power to the Cell's Power Center.

Since the Pump and Cell do not share the same breaker, it is very doubtful that installing the pump had anything to do with the cell blowing the fuse. Although if they did not turn off the power to the cell, while they replaced the pump, the cell could have been damaged if the flow switch was also bad.

It appears that you have an old power center with an actually glass fuse... The whole fuse assembly is known to go bad. This will not pop the fuse, but it will make the fuse contacts intermittent. Are you sure the fuse actually blows? Did you test the "bad" fuse with an ohm meter to see if it was open?

As a test, disconnect the cell from the Power Center than turn the power on, and see if the Power Center still blows the fuse. If not, then power off, reconnect the cell, then turn the power back on and see if the fuse blows.

If the fuse blows, with the cell disconnected, then the surge card inside the Power Center is most likely bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim, it is a glass fuse, my husband said he could see it broken inside, he did not test it though. Hearing that the power should be off if the pump isn't running I would be is our problem. My old pump was making an extremely loud noise when it was trying to run the couple days before they came to install the new one, so I turned the pump off. I had no idea I needed to turn the power to the salt generator off too. The lights were on blinking on it for those days until the new pump was installed. I guess it could have messed up the cell.

We did disconnect the cell from the power center earlier and it did not blow the fuse, as soon as we plugged it back in it runs for a couple minutes then blows. I guess we will be needing a new cell.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
One more question, pentair is replacing my intellichlor because it was still under warranty. When the new pump was installed it was set to run from from 8 am to 8 pm each day. In the past my old one ran for 24 hours. I will change this one to run for 24 hours for now since my salt cell is on it's own breaker and not connected to the pool pump. If I wanted to keep the pool on a timer during the winter months how would I need to hook up the salt cell for it to cut off with the pool pump? I do not have an automation system, is this something I would have to upgrade to? Right now I just have the power center.

You would need to install a timer or smart plug or current sensing device so that power is removed from the SWCG when the pump is not running.

Kim,

It is your pool and you should run however you want.. but...

Shorting the run time in the winter does not save much at all, so I would suggest you just run it 24/7 even in the winter. It will keep your pool well skimmed and you never have to worry about freeze control.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.