orlando, fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
PLEASE HELP. we had a storm last week and it seems that the problem roughly corresponds with that although I am not quite sure about the dates. I suspect a brief power outage may have occurred. My pump stopped responding to the intellicenter. The pump display IS ACTIVE, showing GPM etc. It will run on manual control just fine. The intellicenter is on auto and continues to control the blower. If the pump is running and I switch to spa mode it will move the valves and turn on the propane heater. The R485 cable looks fine and I have no idea why it would have faulted. I checked the intellicenter display and the pool/spa image was superimposed over the menu. I shut the intellicenter breaker off for a few seconds and turned power back on to the intelllicenter and that solved the display but still no communication with the pump. Thoughts comments? This happened for several days months ago and spontaneously resolved...weird.

Did you move the yellow/green wire pump connection to the IntelliCenter to another RS-485 comm connector?

What did you do to determine the RS-485 cable looks fine?

You check the wires using a multimeter?

Do you have any RS-485 connectors with more then two wires under one screw?

I just eyeballed it. do you mean I should check with multimeter for continuity or for voltage? what voltage? I have not messed with the rs-485 since install a year ago. It seems unlikely that it has failed. I have firmware 2.006 or something like that which I saw on a thread from March is a known issue. I would call pentair but it is the weekend. I did the install myself so I have no warranty.

Disconnect the cable on both sides. Check the wires for continuity between the connector and the yellow and green wires.

2.006 has many issues and you should consider reverting back to 1.064. Although I don’t think your pump problem is connected with that.

it,

What F/W is inside your VSF pump? If it is 3.03 or 3.04, that F/W has a bug for intermittent RS-485 control.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Stumbled across this while browsing during morning coffee… Had no idea there was pump FW (although it makes sense).

Is this something that needs to be confirmed via the pump menu? I assume the intellicenter can’t report the pump FW version?

C,

You have to put the system into the Service mode and then use the pump's control panel to find the F/W.

This 'bad' F/W is just for one version of the IntelliFlo that was recently manufactured. I 'think' it is for recent VSF units.

If it is not 3.03 or 3.04 you should be good, no matter what it is.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C,

You have to put the system into the Service mode and then use the pump's control panel to find the F/W.

This 'bad' F/W is just for one version of the IntelliFlo that was recently manufactured. I 'think' it is for recent VSF units.

If it is not 3.03 or 3.04 you should be good, no matter what it is.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I was just curious. My VSF/IntelliCenter combo is working fine!

I assume anything FW-wise needed to be updated on my pump would require a field/service tech anyway.

I assume anything FW-wise needed to be updated on my pump would require a field/service tech anyway.

Call Pentair support. I have seen that some folks have said the tech on the phone walked them through the firmware update.

Escalate your call to Level 2 Support if necessary to get a tech who knows what to do.

Allen,

I just want to make sure we are all on the same page..

You can update the F/W on the IntelliCenter over the air, but I don't think you can update the F/W on an IntelliFlo VSF over the air.

Have you heard of anyone updating the pump by themselves???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Allen,

I just want to make sure we are all on the same page..

You can update the F/W on the IntelliCenter over the air, but I don't think you can update the F/W on an IntelliFlo VSF over the air.

Have you heard of anyone updating the pump by themselves???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I believe I recently saw someone here say that Pentair Support on the phone walked them through the pump update.

Like you, I have been wrong before.

It is worth a call to Pentair Support.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I’m causing all sorts of confusion :)

I have ZERO issues. Having said that, any time a FW is “needed”, I’m more than capable of DIY.

Is there even a serial connection on the pump (there certainly isn’t a USB, lol)?

I’m causing all sorts of confusion :)

I have ZERO issues. Having said that, any time a FW is “needed”, I’m more than capable of DIY.

Is there even a serial connection on the pump (there certainly isn’t a USB, lol)?
See this thread...

Jim R and company, YOU ARE HUGE! I'm not a particularly spiritual man but I'm ready to make a sacrifice at the altar of the pool Gods on your behalf. I have firmware 3.03 on the pump. I was planning to call pentair today and now I know what to tell them. Thanks again to ALL. You guys are AWESOME!

CRUSHER

Stumbled on this old thread and figured it's worth clarifying for anyone reading: the firmware versions need to be updated by a field tech or warranty center. Proprietary software and a rs-485 dongle is required onsite to reflash them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support