Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
I just received my MasterTemp 400 BTU Heater and it does have the RS-485 COM port connectivity capability. I have a few questions before I do the install, that I could not find clear answers to:
1) For the Auto bypass using the IntelliValve: Do I connect the IntelliValve directly to the MasterTemp heater to control the by-pass (this is standard MasterTemp functionality) or am I now better off to connect the IntelliValve to the IntelliCenter, and allow the IntelliCenter to control the activation of that valve?
2) I have a Sub-panel and the IntelliCenter Power Center at the equipment pad. How best to wire the Heater
a) Directly from the Sub-panel, but then the Heater is on all the time - I would like to avoid this.
b) Via the Load side of the Pump relay, then the Heater will only be on, when the pump is on. The 20A breaker for this already suports the IntelliFlo pump, Salt cell transformer and the cleaner booster pump.
c) Via its own IntelliCenter relay, and have the IntelliCenter activate the heater when it calls for heating (Heater is on the least amount of time, but this might be quite complex to setup)?
3) Does the heater need to be connected to a GFCI breaker? No reference to this in the installation manual.

Any guidance to the above will be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received my MasterTemp 400 BTU Heater and it does have the RS-485 COM port connectivity capability. I have a few questions before I do the install, that I could not find clear answers to:
1) For the Auto bypass using the IntelliValve: Do I connect the IntelliValve directly to the MasterTemp heater to control the by-pass (this is standard MasterTemp functionality) or am I now better off to connect the IntelliValve to the IntelliCenter, and allow the IntelliCenter to control the activation of that valve?
2) I have a Sub-panel and the IntelliCenter Power Center at the equipment pad. How best to wire the Heater
a) Directly from the Sub-panel, but then the Heater is on all the time - I would like to avoid this.
b) Via the Load side of the Pump relay, then the Heater will only be on, when the pump is on. The 20A breaker for this already suports the IntelliFlo pump, Salt cell transformer and the cleaner booster pump.
c) Via its own IntelliCenter relay, and have the IntelliCenter activate the heater when it calls for heating (Heater is on the least amount of time, but this might be quite complex to setup)?
3) Does the heater need to be connected to a GFCI breaker? No reference to this in the installation manual.

You can do 2(a) or (b).

3) GFCI is required as of the 2017 NEC. If it is mandatory for your location depends on the local codes in place.

680.28 Gas-Fired Water Heater. Circuits serving gas-fired swimming pool and spa water heaters operating at voltages above the low-voltage contact limit shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Sorry But I missed the answer to question #1 above

"1) For the Auto bypass using the IntelliValve: Do I connect the IntelliValve directly to the MasterTemp heater to control the by-pass (this is standard MasterTemp functionality) or am I now better off to connect the IntelliValve to the IntelliCenter, and allow the IntelliCenter to control the activation of that valve?"

Anyone have an explanation of this? I am asking as I am using a total of 5 intelivalve actuators, one of those 5 being used for Automatic Heater Bypass. With the intellicenter capable of controlling 4 Intellivalves, I would need an expansion board to add the 5th valave to the Intelllicenter.

"1) For the Auto bypass using the IntelliValve: Do I connect the IntelliValve directly to the MasterTemp heater to control the by-pass (this is standard MasterTemp functionality) or am I now better off to connect the IntelliValve to the IntelliCenter, and allow the IntelliCenter to control the activation of that valve?"

Anyone have an explanation of this? I am asking as I am using a total of 5 intelivalve actuators, one of those 5 being used for Automatic Heater Bypass. With the intellicenter capable of controlling 4 Intellivalves, I would need an expansion board to add the 5th valave to the Intelllicenter.

This is a new feature recently added to the MasterTemp and it is not clear how it works. You will need to experiment and find out. Any reports are appreciated.

Moved from here.

you actually touched a heater. You won the golden ticket. What black market did you get it from? jk but seriously are they now available?

I just performed the swap to get my older MasterTemp 400 to have the RS485 functionality. Info in this thread here... IntelliCenter and MasterTemp 400 Communication

I have the valve expansion module, and am running a heater bypass currently. I have not yet moved the valve connection to the heater control board, I plan to check on that this weekend, so I cannot advise on the difference in functionality yet. I believe though, that this is the exact reason that they installed the heater bypass port on the control board, so that a person could run the bypass valve without having to add the valve expansion card. I am not sure if there is any programming necessary in the Intellicenter to make the valve operational from the heater control board. I should be able to advise on that after this weekend.

--Jeff

Spa addition to pool and heater gas line install underway. I have the IntelliValve for the auto bypass (connecting directly to MasterTemp) and will also connect MasterTemp to IntelliCenter. Probably about 4-5 weeks before I can provide an update.

best regards

Tony

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Well it looks like I am one of those that were "duped" as someone said in the other thread. I started to connect all my Intelivalves knowing I had a 5th valve but reading the manuals showed me "bypass valve" port on the heater PCB. However my Mastertemp, purchased in March 2021, does not have this port nor does it have the RS-485 I thought that it did.
Now I found the manual in the heater box with a "Rev N, 10/2018", and the manual I was seeing online when I purchased all this was "Rev P, 8/2020".... How is it that the Heaters were on backorder due to whatever they chose to blame it on for months and when it finally arrives in March 2021, it does not match the manual that was revised 7 months prior?

Long story short, I need to order an expansion card.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear about that. The valve expansion card is an easy add and it is simple to program the bypass valve to come on with a call for heat, by using the embedded heater circuit.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.