integrated spa water level dropping

desoto

Feb 26, 2010
SoCal
There is a spa in one corner of my rectangular pool. It is at the same level as the pool. When the pump (variable speed) is on, the water normally overflows the spa wall into the pool, thus circulating the water. It worked great for 10 years. Now, the spa water level drops about 1/2" per day. It no longer overflows, and I end up adding chlorine to the spa as the SWG seems to only feed the pool.

I noticed that the check-valve is no longer full of water as it used to be, so replaced that. Made no difference. Replaced gaskets on the pump, filter, and SWG. No difference.

The pump used to run at 1400 rpm when all worked well. Now, it has to run at 1900 or it shuts off. However, at that speed, the vac runs up the walls and sucks major air (even tho it's adjusted to not do so)

Filter pressure is staying constant at 3.

Overall, we are not losing water beyond the usual evaporation. Any suggestions, ideas?

20,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS-SVRS variable speed pump, sand filter, Raypac heater, Aqualogic controls, Pentair Navigator vac

If the spa is the same level as the pool, would not the pool flow back into the spa if the spa level drops?

When you say your pump has to run at 1900 rpm or it shuts off, do you mean it goes into the entrapment mode? The SVRS pumps are known to have issues.

Have you checked your suction side valves and made sure they are set as needed to pull water from the pool?

D,

For the spa to overflow into the pool, there has to be more water going into the spa then can get out.

When in the pool mode, some water must be also sent to the spa.. This can be done using a make up valve or by having the return valve not closed all the way.

A leaky Intake valve could also be the problem.

Please post a few pics of your equipment pad showing the area around the Return valve as well as your Intake valve.

When was the last time you backwashed your filter??

Thanks,

Jim R.

mknauss, Thanks for your response.
The water from the spa drains into the pool normally via spilling over the wall. Now, it appears that the water from the spa is getting into the pool via the drain only, dropping about 1/2" per day and there must not be any filter water coming into the spa since I keep having to add chlorine, but only to the spa. The chlorine level in the pool itself is being maintained by the SWG.
The issue with the pump (have had it 10 years) is that at the lower speed (1400 rpm which used to work just fine), there is not enough water being sucked in to keep the pump basket full. That tells me that there is a partial blockage, or a valve set wrong, only we haven't turned any valves.

jimrahbe, I appreciate your input, too. We backwash the filter at least 3 x per year. The last was just last month. The pressure gauge reading has not changed. It's at 3. There are no water leaks. Tried shaving cream to check for air leaks and found none. The pool's been spotless. It is covered unless in use. No leaves, etc. SoCal area. We're stumped.

D,

Ok, I have something you can try and a couple of questions..

If we "assume" that the water going into the spa is the same as always, then water has to be leaving by some other means.. I suggest the you block off the spa drains with a paper plate or plastic lid.. If water is flowing through them, then the block will stick, otherwise it will be very easy to remove.. My guess is that you will find that your drains in the spa are not leaking, but it is worth a test.

On the left of your pic, there is a pipe all covered in tape.. Why is that?? On the same pipe is a check valve.. A check valve is often used in the make up line that adds water to the spa when in the pool mode.. Unfortunately, I can't tell by looking at the pics where the other side of the check valve goes.. Do you know what that check valve is for??

Is there a Jandy valve under all the tape??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your latest, Jim. The black tape covers some bubble wrap that insulates a temp sensor. This is to fool the freeze protection to prevent the spa blower pump from turning on during a mild frost. Otherwise, there is nothing under the tape except piping.
After the spa problem started, we replaced the check valve (2 months ago?) because it was staying only half full of water where before it was always full. It didn't solve the problem, and still is only staying half full.
For the last few days, the spa level has stopped dropping. It's sitting about an inch below the spillover wall. It must not be getting filtered water because both the chlorine and pH are way off from the pool readings. CL again this morning was 0 in the spa. I'm adding CL manually.
I will try the paper plate trick and get back to you. that's a good one!

I uploaded a couple more pics to better show the check valve piping. Do you know what that valve below the black tape is for?
Just tested the spa drains - they're not leaking :)

Attachments

• DSCN2769.JPG
    DSCN2769.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2770.JPG
    DSCN2770.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D,

It appears to me that the check valve allows water to bypass the automated return valve when in the pool mode.. I have to assume that the spillover will not work if this check valve is in backwards or is bad. The check valve would have to be installed so that pool return water would flow to the spa when the system is in the pool mode..

I am assuming that the valve under the black tape allows you to select where the pool water returns to your pool.. Right now both pipes are full open.. This valve could select between different sets of pool returns (eyeballs) or maybe between your pool returns and some water feature.. Just turn the handle parallel to the ground and see what does not work.. Turn the handle 180 degrees and see what does not work then

As a test, you could open the check valve and remove the gate or use something to force it into the open position.. Then try it and see if you spa does not start to work again.. At least it would tell you if the check valve is the issue.. Seems to me that make these things with different springs and maybe the one you installed takes too much pressure to open.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know you probably did this but wanted to throw it out there:
Do the 2 automated Jandy valves turn when you switch between pool & spa mode? Double check their positions in each mode. Pool mode should be suction from main drain and return to pool only. Spa mode will be suction only and spa return only. Usually in pool mode there will be a make up valve that can be adjusted to send some water to spa. Make sure that valve is working by turning the handle. You should feel pressure as the diverter valve inside moves. Might be broken and appears to be in the correct position but actually not moving.

I didnt see anyone specifically mention this, but is it possible for something to have gotten stuck in the water returns tothe spa part of the pool itself? Is there any way to check this out fairly easily as well?
Chad, good you mention that. I ran spa mode this morning, and it worked as it should. The two Jandy valves turned in unison, and water was coming into the spa via the return. No issues.

D,

It appears to me that the check valve allows water to bypass the automated return valve when in the pool mode.. I have to assume that the spillover will not work if this check valve is in backwards or is bad. The check valve would have to be installed so that pool return water would flow to the spa when the system is in the pool mode..

I am assuming that the valve under the black tape allows you to select where the pool water returns to your pool.. Right now both pipes are full open.. This valve could select between different sets of pool returns (eyeballs) or maybe between your pool returns and some water feature.. Just turn the handle parallel to the ground and see what does not work.. Turn the handle 180 degrees and see what does not work then

As a test, you could open the check valve and remove the gate or use something to force it into the open position.. Then try it and see if you spa does not start to work again.. At least it would tell you if the check valve is the issue.. Seems to me that make these things with different springs and maybe the one you installed takes too much pressure to open.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, thanks again for you insight. The problem began before I replaced the check valve. (The old valve flapper gasket had torn.) so right now want to assume the new valve is fine. Also, I made triple sure that I installed the new one in the same orientation :)
I will test the valve below the black tape to see what it does, as you suggest. Since I have no idea what it's for, I did not want to cause another problem.

Not sure if the article above will help.

Spillover is when you have suction from the Pool and return to the spa. Setting it up on a schedule, you can run it a couple times a day, for 30 minutes or so depending on flowrate, and maintain your spa water chemistry.

Do you have any documentation on the Aqualogic? I believe that is a predescessor to the currrent Hayward automation.

This thread has discussion about the Spillover mode with an Aqualogic.

This thread has discussion about the Spillover mode with an Aqualogic.
Ok, Did more reading of the manual. I went into the configuration menu and selected pool/spa and enabled spillover. I hope that's right. Will report back once the pump starts up after our lap swims. Thanks for this info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.