INEXPERIENCED OB Steel wall vinyl liner inground pool under construction in north texas

FYI you don’t have to wait for it to dry, my builder did the vermiculite and liner in the same day.
since I did the vermiculite myself (and it is the first time ever that I work with any kind of concrete/cement), I need to sand it down and try to make it presentable so it needs to be dry... :)

I should also add that I have a gut feeling that the concrete guy “missed” the marking that I left regarding finish dimensions, so I think I need to add a bit of height before the liner goes in…..

What's amazing is that you did all this in a fraction of the time what most others have done that have hired someone to build them a pool. Anyone that signed a contract recently is still a year behind you.

Looking great! Now you have a place to cool off while you work.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'd get the liner in asap an fill it to your lowest line and manually dose with liquid chlorine.
I started to fill the pool yesterday, and of course my kid (and me) what to get in it....... I order some liquid chlorine, and I can probably figure out how much to add..... is there anything else that I should be putting in until they get my equipment running???? (I order my tf testing kit but I havent received it yet...... TIA
1688590083567.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started to fill the pool yesterday, and of course my kid (and me) what to get in it....... I order some liquid chlorine, and I can probably figure out how much to add..... is there anything else that I should be putting in until they get my equipment running???? (I order my tf testing kit but I havent received it yet...... TIA
View attachment 510706
5ppm worth of liquid each day until your kit comes
PoolMath will help you calculate the amount (you will need to estimate how many gallons of water you currently have in the pool)
Pour it in slowly, away from the liner (usually in front of a running return) but you can use the stream of the running hose since I don’t think you’re up & running yet.
Brush the area well so none rests on the liner (as it’s heavier than water).
You will need some cya (stabilizer) as well (30 ppm worth (about 5 lbs.once the pool is filled to start- then at least 5 more pounds later- after circulating & testing after the first addition to eventually reach around 70ppm) so get some of that purchased. It’s usually in 4# bags.
we recommend putting the amount poolmath calls for an a sock 🧦/splitting it between multiple socks & hanging it infront of a return until it is squishy then you can squeeze it until it all dissolves. You don’t want the granules or the sock to get on the liner.
You will also need some muriatic acid on hand to lower ph if necessary (usually sold in 2 gallon packages)
You will need to purchase enough salt to operate your swg. About 3000 ppm worth. Poolmath says about 480# or 12 40lb bags. You won’t be dumping it all in at once. Add 3/4 of the amount then let it circulate 24hrs and test before adding enough to reach your goal. Then let it circulate again for 24 hours & retest. The swg should be off during this time.
They sell all of these at lowes & Home Depot in the pool area. The only thing to avoid is clorox pool salt. The others should be ok .

To recap:
* 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily until you can test so you don’t get swampy

Shopping List;
*Liquid chlorine - several gallons as you’ll be using it daily until your swg is up & running
*Cya- 10-12 lbs.
*Muriatic Acid - a couple gallons to have on hand
*Salt - 480# —— twelve 40# bags
*A brush & a skim net with a pole if you don’t already have one

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and newdude
5ppm worth of liquid each day until your kit comes
PoolMath will help you calculate the amount (you will need to estimate how many gallons of water you currently have in the pool)
Pour it in slowly, away from the liner (usually in front of a running return) but you can use the stream of the running hose since I don’t think you’re up & running yet.
Brush the area well so none rests on the liner (as it’s heavier than water).
You will need some cya (stabilizer) as well (30 ppm worth (about 5 lbs.once the pool is filled to start- then at least 5 more pounds later- after circulating & testing after the first addition to eventually reach around 70ppm) so get some of that purchased. It’s usually in 4# bags.
we recommend putting the amount poolmath calls for an a sock 🧦/splitting it between multiple socks & hanging it infront of a return until it is squishy then you can squeeze it until it all dissolves. You don’t want the granules or the sock to get on the liner.
You will also need some muriatic acid on hand to lower ph if necessary (usually sold in 2 gallon packages)
You will need to purchase enough salt to operate your swg. About 3000 ppm worth. Poolmath says about 480# or 12 40lb bags. You won’t be dumping it all in at once. Add 3/4 of the amount then let it circulate 24hrs and test before adding enough to reach your goal. Then let it circulate again for 24 hours & retest. The swg should be off during this time.
They sell all of these at lowes & Home Depot in the pool area. The only thing to avoid is clorox pool salt. The others should be ok .

To recap:
* 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily until you can test so you don’t get swampy

Shopping List;
*Liquid chlorine - several gallons as you’ll be using it daily until your swg is up & running
*Cya- 10-12 lbs.
*Muriatic Acid - a couple gallons to have on hand
*Salt - 480# —— twelve 40# bags
*A brush & a skim net with a pole if you don’t already have one
I have been so busy, that I haven't had the time to reply and say THANK YOU!!! for this info. it is an incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time. AND specially, thank you for the shopping list!!

things are moving along!!!! (slowly but surely :) .....but I was wondering if you guys can give me some ideas on what chemicals I should try to balance?????? my equipment is not connected yet, and while I did receive my test kit, the chemicals need to "circulate", and with out a pump............ any suggestions would be appreciated it!!pool6.jpgpool7.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Casey
Put a submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket (to help protect the liner) and lower it to the deep end. Run the hose to the shallow end and viola. Redneck circulation.

Get your CYA and FC going. Post up a full set of test results and we'll go from there.

Put a submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket (to help protect the liner) and lower it to the deep end. Run the hose to the shallow end and viola. Redneck circulation.

Get your CYA and FC going. Post up a full set of test results and we'll go from there.
cool!!!! I actually have one of those!!!!!! :party:

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.