In-ground pool light bulb confusion

Rental Pool

Aug 7, 2015
Saugus, CA
I need to replace the bulb in the pool, and I'm confused with the arguments about incandescent vs LED. This is a rental, so I don't want my tenants to be playing with color combinations. I merely want a clear or blue light. People comment on the reliability of LED bulbs, saying they are unreliable and don't last anywhere near their predicted lifetime. I want something reliable and long-lasting. Do you recommend I stick with incandescent or switch to LED? What specific bulb do you feel would last the longest? This pool was built in the mid 60s and was replastered in 2015.

LED should last longer and if that is true the time for installing is not waisted over and over.
i have LED bulbs in spa’s for years now and not a issue..
if they last only a few years its a better investment of time and parts..

mine came from china i do not have a source on them anymore.

In reading the reviews, it seems a lot of people are experiencing the LED bulbs going out in less than a year. I'd like to know which manufacturers are more reliable. I've seen recommendations for Broadroad, QCYYQYT, Yu Meil, Bonbo, Toveenen and Allisable, yet there are complaints about all of them. I wish there were a good scientific study comparing the different bulbs.

Look up the seller information on each "Brand".

It's all fake Chinese companies selling low quality junk under an endless stream of fake names.,

Business Name: shen zhen shi feng cheng ke ji you xian gong si

Business Address:

石岩街道塘头大道196号A1511-1512号

深圳市

宝安区

广东省

CN

Business Name: ShenZhen Shi ShenYuanGuang KeJi YouXian GongSi

Business Address:

龙华街道华联社区墩背新村二区46号402

深圳市

龙华区

广东

CN

Business Name: SHENZHEN SHI YU MEI GUANG DIAN YOU XIAN GONG SI

Business Address: 西乡街道好运来商务大厦A座1302

深圳. 宝安区. 广东. 518102. CN

Room 1302, Building A, Haoyunlai Business Building, Xixiang Street

Shenzhen. Baoan District. Guangdong

Business Name: LI ZHI JIAN

Business Address: tan bei dong er ma lu 132 hao er lou di yi ka

dongsheng zhen. zhongshan shi. 528414. CN

Room 402, No. 46, District 2, Dunbei New Village, Hualian Community, Longhua Street
Shenzhen
Longhua District
Guangdong

Perhaps if you gave more information, better suggestions can be made. Replacing just the bulb, or a sealed fixture? One bulb or many in the fixture? Size of bulb, style, wattage, voltage, etc. currently in use. Or similar info for an encapsulated fixture. A DIY replacement, or hiring someone? Least costly option, or pay-what-it-takes for longest life? Do the renters leave it on all the time, or does it rarely get used?

If you read what I posted, I did say I'm only looking for one bulb, not the whole assembly. I can't give you the wattage, as I don't know what the wattage is. It is a standard E26 base and 120V. I will be replacing the bulb myself, as I have in the past, though in the past I just went to my local pool shop and bought an incandescent bulb. I don't want least costly, but I want to be able to compare cost versus life. If a $50 bulb lasts 3 years and a $500 bulb lasts 4 years, do you think I'm stupid enough to buy the $500 bulb? I've come here for help, not to hear someone say "Well, if your air is polluted, just stop breathing."

I was looking for recommendations of manufacturers of reasonably priced quality products, so I could do further research on my own. I wasn't asking anyone to spoonfeed me. I'm sorry I didn't word my question exactly as you felt it should have been asked. When people ask me questions without giving me enough information to give an answer, I seek clarification. Chances are, my tenants won't be leaving the light on all the time, but I'm not in control of that. If they do, and it burns out, they can pay to replace the bulb the next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've seen recommendations for Broadroad, QCYYQYT, Yu Meil, Bonbo, Toveenen and Allisable, yet there are complaints about all of them.

Calling everything fake junk doesn't help me find something I can rely on.
Half of the battle is knowing what not to get.

I was addressing the brands that you were specifically asking about.

If you cannot tell that those brands are fake junk, then you are going to have a difficult time finding a good brand.

Find a reputable business that sells lights and ask them.

Thank you
If it is a standard pool light fixture, something like this will last a long time. Its a simple white LED. Not inexpensive, but worth it. Be sure to change any lens gasket at the same time or the light will leak and ruing the bulb and fixture.

Reactions: JamesW
AQLighting doesn't carry replacement pool bulbs, but they say they'll check with their supplier to see if they carry any.
They carry underwater lighting products, so I would think that they would be able to get bulbs that are suitable for pool use.

I don't think that the bulbs have to be swimming pool rated.

I think that the light fixtures have to be swimming pool rated but probably not the bulbs.

As far as I know, the bulbs do not need to be pool rated.

However, the bulb should be rated for being in an enclosed fixture since the enclosure typically traps heat in the fixture and the bulbs need to be rated for enclosed spaces.

Look for enclosed fixture, wet location, maybe rough service, lifetime rating, maximum operating temperature etc.

Many bulbs will be made in China, but look for a recognizable brand like Philips etc.

Buy from a reputable source and avoid Amazon.

1703699226265.png

Verify the maximum bulb dimensions that will fit in the fixture.

Verify the fixture rating for total wattage.

Verify the light output desired in Lumens, which might be rated in Incandescent wattage equivalents.

Incandescent bulbs produce most of their light as infrared and the visible light is only a small fraction of the total light produced.
This is why an 8 watt LED is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb in output of visible light.

Last edited:
UL 676 is the Standard for Underwater Luminaires and Submersible Junction Boxes.

The standard’s requirements cover underwater luminaire installation for swimming pools and similar structures, operating on supply circuits rated 150 volts or less in accordance with National Electric Code, NFPA 70.

Maybe some of these?

1703695138560.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.