I'm done with Leslie's. Again.

Shawman

Bronze Supporter
Jan 5, 2021
North Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Pool is almost 2 years old and I've bought pucks from 3 different pool stores and amazon. I recently took 3 water samples to 3 different stores: 1. Leslies's, 2. Pinch a Penny 3. A small family owned independent store with super nice owners and got 3 different recommendations, each of which involved buying things they coincidently carried that would fix all my problems I didn't know I had. I was venting to a buddy about it and he told me he used TFP years ago and it was great so here I am. Been reading and reading and its a lot to take in but it definitely seems to be the way to go so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for all the info.

Welcome to TFP! Wise move, you won't regret it. If you have been reading a lot here already, I assume you already discovered

and

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome, fellow Houstonian. There are many contributors from the Houston area that have "found" the TFP methodology. Glad you can join us.
First thing you want is a proper test kit as noted by @mgtfp
Then you will want to stop using pucks and start using liquid chlorine (LC). Unfortunately you may have to return to the pool store for that. Leslie's has a box of 4 individual gals, Pinch A Penny sells a 2 1/2 gal jug and you can buy from Home Depot a box of 3 individual jugs (not always available in winter months). Also in the Spring area is NAPCO which does sell to the general public a 5 gal container.
Suggest you switch to LC immediately as you learn more of the TFP methodology.
Need to read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Levels

Also once you start your own testing then you want to refer to FC/CYA Levels

One last item - download the PoolMath and pay for the premium version.
Good Luck

Welcome. Your story sounds like the same story we have heard thousands of times. Looks like they have you covered on the basics of testing your own water and reading up on the materials.

Dont be shy on posting up your questions. All of use are former newbies who likely had the same questions and now we are just trying to pay forward the same assistance we received.

Shaw,

Welcome to TFP! I'll add to the list of stay-away-from-pool-stores advice. Their "free test" is just like the "free lunch". We don't sell anything at all so our advice is never conflicted. We are here just to help people learn how simple and cheap it can be to do pool care yourself with TFP methods. You have to test yourself using proven reliable tests and we give you two to choose from. I bought my TF100 6 years ago and it's still going strong. But either kit will work fine!

Good luck and looking forward to your posts!

Chris

got 3 different recommendations, each of which involved buying things they coincidently carried that would fix all my problems I didn't know I had.
One follow up note. I only use 3 chemicals - Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, and Calcium increaser. I use the latter because my fill water is routed through my water softener so when I add water (due to evaporation or splash out) I am not adding calcium but need to add some occasionally. The LC and MA are the main diet for my pool.

welcome to tfp
i too was pool stored, every visit $100's of dollars of chemicals
pool got worse and worse,
then i found tfp
realized pool shop pool school was a sales seminar
and now i spend around $100 per year down from around $1,000 per year (have salt chlorinator)
my pool that i thought was clean
now i know what clean looks and feels like
you will be amazed

It never ever hurts to understand what you are doing. The advice here honestly is nearly 100% correct. What we do disagree on is so minor to be inconsequential and honestly, unless there are serious oddball problems it is keep it as simple as possible.

Hey Shawman and Welcome !! Check out this thread while considering that we have nothing to sell you. We can have you adding you own pics In no time (with helpful guidance) and you can be doing it on your own in a month or two.

These are not brochure pictures below. They are regular Joe/Jane pools. And most brochure pictures do not match what you’ll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

Check out all these crystal clear pools we have here! How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

The knowledge of how to get this yourself without spending a dime here, as TFP does not sell anything (though we appreciate support if our advice helps you). All we require is you get an appropriate test kit as mentioned in post #2, and secondly we ask you ignore pool store advice and follow ours, which it sounds like you have already figured out!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I totally agree about Leslie’s, they are definitely the worst. The mom and pop place right by my house is convenient but when they check my water they give me the phosphates spiel and want me to buy phosphate remover every time I go in. They sell a 4-gallon pack of 12.5 bleach for 19.99 which is high. Pinch a Penny doesn’t push phosphate removers since they don’t even test for them. I picked up 4 of their 2.5gal jugs of chlorine to get me started. I was also told about the Napco place and called them. They sell 12.5% for $1.86 a gal so I will probably get it from them from now on since it’s closer to me anyway.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I totally agree about Leslie’s, they are definitely the worst. The mom and pop place right by my house is convenient but when they check my water they give me the phosphates spiel and want me to buy phosphate remover every time I go in. They sell a 4-gallon pack of 12.5 bleach for 19.99 which is high. Pinch a Penny doesn’t push phosphate removers since they don’t even test for them. I picked up 4 of their 2.5gal jugs of chlorine to get me started. I was also told about the Napco place and called them. They sell 12.5% for $1.86 a gal so I will probably get it from them from now on since it’s closer to me anyway.
If you purchase the Pool Math app there is a feature on it that equalizes the % CL on unit cost that allows you to determine the lowest cost accounting for the difference in % CL. The logic being that you have to pour more 10% CL than 12.5% CL to raise your Free Chlorine (FC) the same PPM. In my area, Pinch a Penny is less expensive then Leslie's and you are right on NAPCO being the lowest cost but that is a 45mi trip one way for me so I just deal with PaP for now. HD at 10% CL is slightly more than PaP as well but less than Leslie's. The app has other features as well plus tracking all of your test results.

Hi, and welcome to TFP! One thing you should know about buying chlorine from big box stores is to make sure it has not been stored in direct sun. Exposure to heat will accelorate the degradation process and decrease chlorine strength. Most manufacturers put a Julian date code on the bottles so you can determine how fresh the chlorine is.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I ordered the T100 test kit. I don't see a way to track the order/shipment, anybody know about when I could expect to receive it? I would like to avoid another pool store trip if I can.

I'm in West Houston. Pool Warehouse was good, until Leslies bought them...Or so I thought...

Pinch a Penny seems like a decent store. I use them for parts I need right away. I plan to use them to buy the few chemicals I need, H-Cl and CYA. Everything else is from the grocery store or ACE hardware.

If I had not switched to a SWG last summer, I probably would be using NAPCO. The only issue with "bulk buying" of Chlorine is that is loses potency, especially if left in the Houston Heat. With your pool being "open" year round, it makes sense to eventually switch to a SWG. So much less work!

Reactions: HermanTX
Napco is a great way to go for chlorine. We used them back when we lived in Houston and friends of ours have used this location over 10 years.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I ordered the T100 test kit. I don't see a way to track the order/shipment, anybody know about when I could expect to receive it? I would like to avoid another pool store trip if I can.
As stated you will get a tracking email when it ships. I think I’m up to three orders from TFTestkits now, and if I recall all three shipped the following business day and took 2-3 days to arrive via USPS. But the shipping time will vary by location obviously.

Reactions: Shawman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.